Skids Famous kitchen storage kit...insulated

Ridgerunner

Skids Famous kitchen storage kit...insulated

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:49 pm

This is an easy project to give you that extra thermal cooking time when freezerbag cooking using Skids nicely designed storage container. I has simply taken the cozy off a thrift store purchased water bottle and another pop can cozy to cut to size and wrap and gorilla glue, where necessary, the Zip-loc containers to come up with the following:
DSCF2298.JPG
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Re: Skids Famous kitchen storage kit...insulated

Post by zelph » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:22 pm

Good source for supplies and makes good insulator.

I think pot cozys are over rated and will go out of style in the future. It'll switch over to cooking right in the pot, when the flame goes out, the food goes down the hatch. :D Not really, you have to wait for it to cool off. When food cools down to 180 degrees it's still too hot to eat. A cozy makes you wait a lot longer :mrgreen: New info that's coming to light about simmering or not to simmer is interesting stuff. Did you ever get a whiff of a 4 day old used ziplock when you take it out of your storage pocket. Gag me!!!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

russb

Post by russb » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:51 pm

The only time I would use a pot cozy is in the deep winter when the temps warrant it. Odd that I would say that, since I have never used one at any time of the year.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:13 pm

russb wrote:The only time I would use a pot cozy is in the deep winter when the temps warrant it. Odd that I would say that, since I have never used one at any time of the year.
I don't use one either. I did a test 2 years ago and posted the results on Whiteblaze cooking forum. I did the brown bag cozy test with a ziplock filled with ramen noodles. I placed it oun on my deck when the temperatures were down to 20 degrees. I think it was out there 10 min and then brought it in and tested it for texture and temps. It was 160 degrees and still too hot to eat. 20 degrees out, it's sitting on the deck for 10 min in a brown paper bag cozy, the ramen get fully cooked and it's still too hot to eat. I know folks out there are making cozies out of all kinds of materials and are having to store it somewhere and it has weight to it. Both issues are discussed repeatedly on many sites, weight and where to put things. :) I'll see if I can get a link to whiteblaze.

Here it is:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpos ... ostcount=3
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Skidsteer

Post by Skidsteer » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:54 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:This is an easy project to give you that extra thermal cooking time when freezerbag cooking using Skids nicely designed storage container. I has simply taken the cozy off a thrift store purchased water bottle and another pop can cozy to cut to size and wrap and gorilla glue, where necessary, the Zip-loc containers to come up with the following:
DSCF2298.JPG
Nice idea Ridgerunner.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:53 pm

Thanks Skids! The cozy is made from a closed cell bottle cozy. It will keep your coffee warm a bit longer if using the top part of the zip-loc storage container for a coffee cup.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:57 pm

RR..you ever get your cherries?I noticed those at a local liquidators for $2 a can..had a lot of them!.. :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:09 pm

zelph wrote:Good source for supplies and makes good insulator.

I think pot cozys are over rated and will go out of style in the future. It'll switch over to cooking right in the pot, when the flame goes out, the food goes down the hatch. :D Not really, you have to wait for it to cool off. When food cools down to 180 degrees it's still too hot to eat. A cozy makes you wait a lot longer :mrgreen: New info that's coming to light about simmering or not to simmer is interesting stuff. Did you ever get a whiff of a 4 day old used ziplock when you take it out of your storage pocket. Gag me!!!!!
I think pot cozys are over rated
A cozy makes you wait a lot longer
Which is it Zelph? It sounds like the cozy serves its purpose. :lol: Not only might it let rice and beans cook and hydrate longer, it will also keep your beverage warmer longer(esp. in colder temps.). The cozy ,I made for Skids storage system, is permanently attached so there is nothing to lose.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:16 pm

realityguy wrote:RR..you ever get your cherries?I noticed those at a local liquidators for $2 a can..had a lot of them!.. :lol:
You will not believe this. Produce had them on sale for $2.79/lb(reg. $3.99/lb). Turns out that they either ordered too much or were added out too much so they priced them 99 cents/lb. :D I bought five bags. They have infomercials on the pA system that suggest freezing some cherries for the winter. I've never done it or am not sure how to go about it. I bought 5 bags full but have eaten half of them already. :lol: I'm getting my fill! ;)

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:39 pm

In bags?Are they fresh cherries?I thought you were looking for ones in jars or cans..
For fruit lately..we're still eating berries..but also lots of melons,especially cantaloupes otr the orange type honeydew crosses.
Lately with the heat ...it's been 1/2 of a cantaloupe with a couple scoops of breyer's vanilla ice cream,smothered in berries. :o ..It's better than you'd think.. :mrgreen:
Try that with your cherries... :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy