DIY Crimped Windscreen #2

Ridgerunner

DIY Crimped Windscreen #2

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:28 pm

I've had this idea on the back burner for awhile now. Over the summer, I picked up 4 of these fish scalers at flea markets for a few bucks and sent one to Zelph for it's intended purpose. First he has to catch some fish though !:lol: My thought was to remove one of the flooted rollers and drill and attach it to the bracket of a second scaler so the rollers would mesh while you ran your flashing thru it. No need ! The removed roller will lay nicely in the jaw of the second scaler and you can control the pressure with your grip. ONE NOTE: When looking for these scalers notice in the second photo that on the older models, the flooted roller has permanent end caps and would require more fabrication to be useful. Also,the roller floots are made up of individual "u" shaped lengths that don't look as sturdy as the one piece construction.
ImageImage
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Re: DIY Crimped Windscreen #2

Post by zelph » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:44 pm

First he has to catch some fish though !:lol:
:oops: I wish I had it with me when I went to central IL. I caught fish!!!

The fish skinners work great on crappies.
No need ! The removed roller will lay nicely in the jaw of the second scaler and you can control the pressure with your grip.
How awful nice of it to work out so easily, whoda thunk it. :D

Thanks for tip on the 2 designs and what to look for. When you get a windscreen rolled up send us a photo to see how it looks. Or is the windscreen in the photo made with the fish scaler?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:12 pm

I can't find my scrap flashing so I rolled a previously used windscreen which is in the photo. It had folded ends and a rolled edge but still went thru the Skinner.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:16 pm

i made my crimped windscreen using three pieces of 1/4" round s/s rod. the "Fish Crimp" would be much easier and less time consuming.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:19 pm

DarenN wrote:i made my crimped windscreen using three pieces of 1/4" round s/s rod. the "Fish Crimp" would be much easier and less time consuming.
In the end, the crimps make it so much easier to keep it rolled and looking good. Look sharp, feel sharp!!!! (what commercial is that from? ;) )

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:22 pm

zelph wrote:
DarenN wrote:i made my crimped windscreen using three pieces of 1/4" round s/s rod. the "Fish Crimp" would be much easier and less time consuming.
In the end, the crimps make it so much easier to keep it rolled and looking good. Look sharp, feel sharp!!!! (what commercial is that from? ;) )
"it is better to look marvelous than to be marvelous." (what's that from? ;) )
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:23 pm

DarenN wrote:
zelph wrote:
"it is better to look marvelous than to be marvelous." (what's that from? ;) )
Mine first then your. Gives me time to think :lol:

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:50 am

Quote:
No need ! The removed roller will lay nicely in the jaw of the second scaler and you can control the pressure with your grip.

How awful nice of it to work out so easily, whoda thunk it.
The free floating roller lays nicely in the trough of the hand grip which is curved so it stays in place.! :DP:

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:31 am

I still like my "garden variety"( ;) ) windscreen material. :mrgreen: .which I still have probably 30'+ of...It's prebent,precut for height(3-5/8"),rolled over top and bottom edges,easy to punch,and I keep running into it for cheap(above all!).If I need a higher one,I guess I can pop rivet a couple pieces together.I know,I know..it's just too easy.. :lol:
One question..what's the width of the fish scaler?..or the maximum width you can bend?Someday I may need to make a taller one,if it'll do it.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:42 am

Look sharp, feel sharp!!!! (what commercial is that from? )
Gillete maybe??????

I almost bought a case of the garden variety edging to sell here and ebay for use as windscreen. I had to purchase a case to get a good price to turn a proffit, decided against it. :o

RR, is hard to get a deep impression in the aluminum becuse of the pressure on the trough causes to much resistance???