Ridgerunner DIY Homemade Frisbee Disc Golf Basket

Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner DIY Homemade Frisbee Disc Golf Basket

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:33 pm

Lately, I have been spicing up my local hiking by playing disc(frisbee) golf. It gives you a good upper and lower body workout. Many of the courses are at Parks and some are in the woods. It is free and gives you a good arobic workout. As much as I enjoy the added element to my hikes, I lack the accuracy that is desired for a low score. I thought a basket in the yard might allow me to get in some much needed practice. A good basket can cost $250 and those who know me, know that is not in my budget. After searching the internet and actually buying a set of plans that I was not that keen on, I came up with my own design. Total cost was less than $15, as much of my material was in house and the trash can was a giveaway promotion. The base was 29 cents at the thrift store and the post was an old chainlink fence rail that I had used unsuccessfully as a bird house pole. The biggest cost was the chains. They are dog chains from WallyWorld and cost $6 and change for 15 ft. and I used 2 chains.
ImageImageImage
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Re: Ridgerunner DIY Disc Golf Basket

Post by realityguy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:47 pm

A good basket can cost $250 and those who know me, know that is not in my budget.
Heck Cuz..I was surprised that you spent $15!Has the wife discovered the laundry basket missing yet? :lol:

Years ago we played a lot of frisbee..but that was on Waikiki Beach;mostly trhows with catches behind the back,jumping over catches..crazy things like that to impress visiting biologists. :mrgreen: We do have a couple local courses in parks around here but I haven't tried them.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:58 pm

realityguy wrote:
A good basket can cost $250 and those who know me, know that is not in my budget.
Heck Cuz..I was surprised that you spent $15!Has the wife discovered the laundry basket missing yet? :lol:

Years ago we played a lot of frisbee..but that was on Waikiki Beach;mostly trhows with catches behind the back,jumping over catches..crazy things like that to impress visiting biologists. :mrgreen: We do have a couple local courses in parks around here but I haven't tried them.
That's not a laundry basket but a waste basket. We had a new hardware store that recently opened and gave away one to each customer that had their coupon. Hey Cuz, if I wasn't in such a hurry to slap this project together, I would have waited till I came across some chain at the thrift store. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Chain is something I don't even see very often in thrift stores ..except for tire chains.Last year we had about three weeks of actual snow and winter in town verses our normal 2 days,so lots of them have coming in to the stores over the last several months.
They just had a note on the news we are watching that people are already freaking out and grabbing up the snow chains..last year they ran out..
I'd probably hold my own on the course..just not exactly a "Tiger Woods". :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:25 pm

Tire chains might work as you need just 2ft. pieces. disc golf is becoming a fast growing sport. Some people take it real serious. When I was up in Michigan a few weeks back, we played a course up there but first I had to buy a disc(frisbee). I can't begin to tell you all the variations they have including weight, shape, etc. They have some for long distance(drivers) and some for mid-range and some for close-up(putters). I bought just one and it set me back $17. so, even though you play for free, the disc will set you back a few bucks. They also make shoulder bags that will hold 12-24 disc :roll: and have holsters for a beverage or two. I don't even bother keeping score. I just enjoy the stroll thru the park. ;)

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:28 pm

i used to play disk golf but havent touched it in years. we had a really tight course a couple towns over. you really couldnt play it if you were new.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:53 am

Nice DIY adaptation RR. Garbage can looks kinda stubnose :o , did you shorten it? By next year you'll be hitting 4 out of 5 :D

Right now there are lots of Christmas tree stands in the thrift stores that would make a nice base.

Edited: Place your bird feeder on top. Might be a safe place it when not playing. Looks like squirrels might not be able to get up there through the obsticle course. Chains might be a real threat to them. I like dual purpose :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:44 pm

Zelph, yes I did shorten it considerably. The bottom basket is the top part of the trash can and was cut right along the line where it starts to bevel down. Then I cut the very bottom of the can out and placed it inside. Of course, it is smaller in diameter at the bottom so I cut some plastic 4" strips from the middle part of the basket which was discarded. I thought of pop-riveting the strips to the bottom and the sides of the basket but I was out of long pop-rivets so to stay with the cheap theme, I just used 4 zip-ties to attach each strip. You can see them if you look closely. It worked well. I am going to have to also put the heavier zip-ties on the lid that holds the chain links as one of the tiny zip ties busted when testing it out. The whole thing is made from one trash can, a piece of chain link rail for the pole, a XMS tree base, 30 zip ties, a couple 8" squares pieces of 1'2" lumber, 2 hose clamps, a 1" piece of dowel or old broom stick handle, and 3 or 4 L-brackets. ;)

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:20 pm

RR, It looks like the real thing, you did a great job. If it's out in the yard now it should be filled with leaves :o If it weren't for the chains, they would've flown right on by :mrgreen:

Nice list of parts and instructions ;) good job.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:26 pm

Okay..so when are you making the other eight? :mrgreen: