How Many Uses For This Tool?

DarenN

Re: How Many Uses For This Tool?

Post by DarenN » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:46 pm

30 years ago i was on a canoe trip in northern Saskatchewan. one of our aluminum canoes got holed on a rock and one paddler got a broken ankle. all because that boat missed the portage takeout point.
we made a splint for the broken ankle with sticks and duct tape.
we fashioned a pair of crutches useing lashing with duct tape to strengthen them.
the broken canoe was hammerred out with an apropriate rock and duct taped inside and out.
when we finally got to our take out point, about 200 miles later, the paddler was nearly walking again and the boat was still water-tight.

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:58 pm

30 years ago i was on a canoe trip in northern Saskatchewan. one of our aluminum canoes got holed on a rock and one paddler got a broken ankle. all because that boat missed the portage takeout point.
we fashioned a pair of crutches useing lashing with duct tape to strengthen them.
the broken canoe was hammerred out with an apropriate rock and duct taped inside and out.
when we finally got to our take out point, about 200 miles later, the paddler was nearly walking again and the boat was still water-tight.
Great story Daren. Can't beat duct tape. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

oops56

Post by oops56 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:59 pm

DarenN wrote:30 years ago i was on a canoe trip in northern Saskatchewan. one of our aluminum canoes got holed on a rock and one paddler got a broken ankle. all because that boat missed the portage takeout point.

Daren.......
Yep duck tape :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:06 pm

reminds me of something i read.

both "Duct" and "Duck" are correct terminology. "Duct"; because that is it's intended usage. "Duck"; because when it was originally invented the backing was made from a cotton canvas also called "Cotton Duck". cotton duck is still used by hobby boat builders for skin-on-frame boats.

Daren........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

cementbrains

Post by cementbrains » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:20 pm

That would be about 6 duct tape wallets and 4 or 5 table place mats just waiting to be made

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:47 pm

DarenN wrote:reminds me of something i read.

both "Duct" and "Duck" are correct terminology. "Duct"; because that is it's intended usage. "Duck"; because when it was originally invented the backing was made from a cotton canvas also called "Cotton Duck". cotton duck is still used by hobby boat builders for skin-on-frame boats.

Daren........
I didn't know that!!!!!!

cowhide wallets and now duck wallets and duck placemats, right cementbrains? ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DaddyMnM

Post by DaddyMnM » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:53 am

My son and I made his Halloween costume with that stuff when he was 12. He had a big dragon head with Easter egg eyeballs and golf tee teeth. He could see out between the open jaws. It looked pretty wicked and lasted a few years, but it finally gave up the ghost last year and is now in the landfill :( .

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:48 am

DaddyMnM wrote:My son and I made his Halloween costume with that stuff when he was 12. He had a big dragon head with Easter egg eyeballs and golf tee teeth. He could see out between the open jaws. It looked pretty wicked and lasted a few years, but it finally gave up the ghost last year and is now in the landfill :( .
It is definatley a multi-use tool. The army ordered a few million rolls to hold everything together, olive drab color :)

Your son thought it worked good :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:05 am

The duct part is actually a through off! Professional heating and cooling guys will tell you this stuff is junk for its intended purpose. The foil tape works a million times better for the intended duct sealing job! :geek:

Works great for emergency cordage as well just pull out and spin makes great rope. Works well for bandaids on your body or on your gear! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:20 am

I only have 3.5 words: Water-proof insulating layer. :lol:
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin