Flips

DarenN

Flips

Post by DarenN » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:09 pm

i understand that slingshots are called "Flips" in some areas of the USA.
in the UK they are called "Catapults". so says my British freind.

i've been playing around with slingshots for about a month. i didn't grow up with slingshots cause i had guns at an early age. i had BB, and Pellet guns, to start with, and graduated to a bolt action .22 Cooey at about 10 years old. days spent stalking gophers are fond memories! :D

yesterday morning i went out to the shop and built a three cavity mold for .375 round ball ammo. this morning i poured a couple hundred lead balls. it took less than a dozen shots to take that beer can apart.

the wire-frame Flip with the blue bands is DIY.
i used 1/4" aluminum stock and bent it in a bench vise. the band set is a replacement set made by Crossman. weight is 1.5 ounces.

Daren..........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Re: Flips

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:10 pm

Pouring your own slingshot ammo....awesome Daren ! :DP:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:33 am

thanks for the post. that reminds me that i need to find mine again. i dont know where i put it.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

oops56

Post by oops56 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:40 am

Well here my type not the best but it works

Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:34 am

I like your design better than the Coleman. Let's call it a freestyle :)

Never did care for the feel of a wrist rocket.

Oops, looks like your has enough power to slay a deer. :o Let's call it a "deer slayer"
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:54 pm

This morning, I'm watching the pursuit channel and there is a show on featuring Chief AJ who is a Cherokee indian and is into instinctive shooting. He has set a Guiness record for shooting 1500 flying targets with a slingshot in 24 hours I believe. What really blew me away was watching him down 3 pheasants with a slingshot. You might want to check his sight out.
http://www.chiefaj.com/
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:23 pm

Daren, do you think you have become proficient enough with your slingshot to harvest wild game? ;)

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:09 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Daren, do you think you have become proficient enough with your slingshot to harvest wild game? ;)

Daren
days spent stalking gophers are fond memories! :D
I bet he's good at gettin gophers :D

I'd bet that the one oops made could do some seious damage to a deer. A 3/4" ball bearing to the head :o
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:59 pm

zelph wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote:Daren, do you think you have become proficient enough with your slingshot to harvest wild game? ;)

Daren
days spent stalking gophers are fond memories! :D
I bet he's good at gettin gophers :D

I'd bet that the one oops made could do some seious damage to a deer. A 3/4" ball bearing to the head :o
guys, i'm good enough with my "flip" to take out a beercan at fifty feet. but, i would never try to take down a deer with a slingshot. the whole point to hunting is to take your game in the most humane manner possible. riding the deer like it was a horse would not gauranty a clean kill. therefor, i would not take the shot. likewise, i would never take a shot with my blackpowder rifle beyond 100 yards.
i will take squirrels and maybe small rabbits with my slingshot; but that's the limit. i'm only trying to feed myself; not cause sufferring to the wildlife.

sure; i've taken deer with a bow. bear too (just one). but i set them up for it. either a tree-stand or a ground blind. no shots over 50 yards. i passed on a nice whitetail buck cause he was farther than i was comfortable with.

be humane. it's important.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

sudden

Post by sudden » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:45 am

oops56 wrote:Well here my type not the best but it works

oops must have a bullet mold the size of a bowling ball :)
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."