Fire starter....

JBRanger

Re: Fire starter....

Post by JBRanger » Tue May 18, 2010 11:04 pm

Tell you what... I have to go to my grandparent's place here soon. I will find what I can with regards to fatwood. If you pay shipping I can send whoever wants some. This is of course only available to those of you on here and for a limited time offer. Let me know if you are interested and I will go see what I can find. Usually the really good "lightern" knots (what my grandpa calls em) are all over the place. Only problem is getting them into smaller pieces. They can render even sharp blades dull quick.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue May 18, 2010 11:29 pm

JBRanger; i'd be interested.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Wed May 19, 2010 9:10 am

PM Sent.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed May 19, 2010 5:00 pm

I am fortunate that Kroger considers fatwood, sterno, and Heet seasonal so I just wait til the end of their "considered season" and stock up on cheap markdowns! ;) :DP:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed May 19, 2010 8:08 pm

"Longleaf Pine"

Georgia fatwood

It is a special kind of pine. It just flames. Our pine isn't anything like that. Our pine "pops".

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed May 19, 2010 8:31 pm

ConnieD wrote:"Longleaf Pine"

Georgia fatwood

It is a special kind of pine. It just flames. Our pine isn't anything like that. Our pine "pops".
yeah. that is what i've found as well.
however.........
i recall seeing pine trees up at the cabin that have really long needles.
i read that there are plantations of "longleaf" in BC.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed May 19, 2010 8:41 pm

That is interesting. Maybe you can find out.

I do know there are "microclimates" all over the world that match up, and plants that do well in one microclimate place can do well in the same microclimate in another place. Not always, but often enough to be a fact.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed May 19, 2010 9:02 pm

ConnieD wrote:That is interesting. Maybe you can find out.

I do know there are "microclimates" all over the world that match up, and plants that do well in one microclimate place can do well in the same microclimate in another place. Not always, but often enough to be a fact.
my mission (as soon as i can shoulder a pack again) is to go spend at least a week 40 miles north of Rock Creek, BC in search of the ellusive Longleaf Pine. i might even find a new fishing hole or two along the banks of the mighty Kettle River. ;)

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed May 19, 2010 9:22 pm

...sounds like a "worthy" goal, to me!

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu May 20, 2010 11:49 am

DarenN wrote:pardon my ignorance; i had no idea it was just pine. :oops:

edit:
upon further reading i found that it is in fact "Longleaf Pine" (Pinus palustris) and, in North America, is only found in the south eastern United States. sure, we have pine trees up here, but not of that species. next time i'm up in the hills, i'll take a look for a broken pine stump and harvest it. see if it will work.
When a pine tree burns due to forest fire etc. the sap/pitch concentrates into the stump. Locate a burned stump and your in tall cotton ;) Go to your nearest lumber yard and look for some untreated 4"x4" look at the ends of them for the dark color. Lift them up and see if you can find one that is much heavier than the rest. The heavy will be loaded with fatwood.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/