Fire starter....

JBRanger

Re: Fire starter....

Post by JBRanger » Thu May 20, 2010 11:57 am

zelph has it right. Same for when a tree gets hit by lightning. You can tell also if you split it and it smells something like kerosene.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu May 20, 2010 2:36 pm

We have had some forest fires. If I go in and get part of a stump, I will have fatwood?

w0w.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu May 20, 2010 3:15 pm

ConnieD wrote:We have had some forest fires. If I go in and get part of a stump, I will have fatwood?
if it was a longleaf pine; yes. if it was some other kind of pine; maybe.

if i read it correctly, a stump left from cuttin down a longleaf also turns into fatwood.
JBRanger wrote:zelph has it right. Same for when a tree gets hit by lightning. You can tell also if you split it and it smells something like kerosene.
i read that pine sap is used to make turpentine, so that smell makes sense.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu May 20, 2010 3:31 pm

zelph wrote:Go to your nearest lumber yard and look for some untreated 4"x4" look at the ends of them for the dark color. Lift them up and see if you can find one that is much heavier than the rest. The heavy will be loaded with fatwood.
the problem with that approach, up here, is that there is no distinction made between Spruce, Pine, and Fir. it's all piled together, marked as "SPF Construction Grade".
i had a customer bring me a spruce 2x4 to carve a Greenland paddle for him. it was the prettiest piece of spruce i had ever seen! absolutely clear, and perfect verticle grain. it was marked "SPF" and he told me he found it at home despot. i was shocked! :o to this day, i think it may well have been "Sitka Spruce". it sure made a pretty paddle!! :mrgreen:
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Blazinator

Post by Blazinator » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:27 pm

Well, I spent most of the day dipping various objects into melted wax and trying to light them. So far, the make-up cleaning pads my wife has seem to be doing well. They burn really well and easily, and light up quickly with a lighter. My goal, however, was to make a version that could be lit with a rod or striker. The idea came to me after buying one of these little numbers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye3x87M82ec

I think I came up with a design that works. I'll do some more experimenting and then see about making a video.

(On a side note, the zippo think is pretty cool. I'm glad I got it. It is NOT waterproof as it advertises though.)
Last edited by Blazinator on Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:39 pm

Okay..looks like you bought a snowball? :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Blazinator

Post by Blazinator » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:41 pm

I have no idea how to work the youtube thing...

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:57 pm

I don't either..I use photobucket..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Blazinator

Post by Blazinator » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:04 am

Fixed now. Check it out :P

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:21 am

I still like the rods..and wetfire or "weber fire cubes"(same thing)..even when wet.

http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd5 ... CN1079.mp4