Camp fire pit

Ridgerunner

Camp fire pit

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:27 am

When we camp and hunt in the National Forest, we always take our home made fire pit that works great. We take the inside barrel out of a washing machine and get rid of the center agitator. It works great to contain the fire and keep it from spreading. The holes allow plenty of air flow. So the next time you throw away a washer or see one being discarded, remove the barrels for a great firepit. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

sudden

Re: Camp fire pit

Post by sudden » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:33 am

RR,

How do you deal with firewood in OH?

In PA we are no longer allowed to transport wood from different locations due to the emerald ash borer.

"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:55 am

How do you deal with firewood in OH?
We burn it. :lol: True, it can not be transforted out of state. Most of times, we just take a chainsaw and cut up dead downed timber to burn. After this ice storm on Valentines day years ago that brought down a significant part of the woods we camp in, there is plenty of timber for the picking. The dept. of forrestry is also doing controlled burns in the area to avoid a major fire.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:56 pm

Our fire pit.....Image

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:26 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Our fire pit.....Image
Nice and controlled :D

In Illinois one way to get around it is to bring in construction lumber cutoffs. Visit construction sites through out the year and save up.

Pallet makers have waste cutoff available for free. Collect some pallets and use an electric chainsaw to cut em up.

State parks in IL allow instate wood to be brought in. We got the emerald ash borer locally and the county campgrounds are on the verge of lifting the ban of outside wood.

I picked up a stainless steel perfed drum at a farm auction. It was used in a cream separator......half the size of a washer drum.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:15 pm

Pallet makers have waste cutoff available for free. Collect some pallets and use an electric chainsaw to cut em up.
Any time I cut up firewood smaller than 1-1/2" thick..and most of the time up to 3-1/2" thick,I use a skilsaw.It's so much faster,cuts finer,less dust and waste..and I don't have bar oil flung all over..just unroll a cord,cut for 15-20 minutes with a carbide blade, and I'm usually done.The wife doesn't mind stacking it. :lol:
There's a place down the street about 200 yards that puts pallets out by the curb for people that want them.I pick up 4-5 at a time and supplement my smaller wood supply all winter long with 5-6 pallets every couple weeks..one of the reasons we only burn say 1-1/2 cords maximum per year of regular firewood.It's kiln dried(and dry usually) and ready to burn,some of them being oak also.Can't beat that!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:59 pm

That's a deal Cuz. I have noticed that we are starting to use more and more plastic pallets and when they break down, they just send them back for reconstruction. I like the idea...Save a tree!

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:32 am

e up to 3-1/2" thick,I use a skilsaw.
That's a good choice also for pallets, good thought!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:50 am

Just beware of hidden nails :o

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:30 am

I'd much rather hit a nail with a $3 carbide 7-1/4" blade than a chainsaw chain... :o What the hell,I just use my old blades AFTER I've used them for cutting holes in asphalt shingle roofs..and hitting roofing nails.There's usually a couple carbide teeth left on those ones.. :mrgreen:
I don't like sharpening chain saws..and paying $$ for new chains..plus the time factor involved.
I do keep one skil saw just for junk like roofs,concrete,and firewood.When it goes TU,I'll hit the pawn shops and buy another beater for $35..just for that purpose.
I don't use worm drive saws for framing or construction except for heavy stuff.The 15lbs kills me!I use a couple Porter Cable 6" Saw Bosses..that weigh half as much..and do 95% of the jobs better and easier.
When you are hanging off a two story roof by your knees with your feet placed under trusses to hold you out there for cutting 45 degree ends on rafters or facia boards from the bottom up :o ..yeah..I'll take the Saw Boss any day! ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy