seeking information

zelph

seeking information

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:51 am

My mother had a cigarette lighter that ignited itself when the cap was removed. The lighter was in the shape of a lipstick tube with a cap on it. I'm guessing the fuel was alcohol. There was no mechanical means of ignition. Just air mixing within the upper portion of the tube. Within the same year of purchasing the lighter there was a recall of the lighters. After using them for awhile the tops became loosened and would come off the body of the lighter and would prematurely ignite in purses and maybe in pants pockets.

I'm seeking information on the means of ignition for that lighter. If anyone has come across any information on these lighters please post it here. You may have seen them on ebay or some other site.

Oop's lipstick stove made me recall the lighter. Been wanting the info for a long time. Interesting stuff. The pyro in me :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Re: seeking information

Postby oops56 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:31 pm

zelph wrote:My mother had a cigarette lighter that ignited itself when the cap was removed. The lighter was in the shape of a lipstick tube with a cap on it. I'm guessing the fuel was alcohol. There was no mechanical means of ignition. Just air mixing within the upper portion of the tube. Within the same year of purchasing the lighter there was a recall of the lighters. After using them for awhile the tops became loosened and would come off the body of the lighter and would prematurely ignite in purses and maybe in pants pockets.

I'm seeking information on the means of ignition for that lighter. If anyone has come across any information on these lighters please post it here. You may have seen them on ebay or some other site.

Oop's lipstick stove made me recall the lighter. Been wanting the info for a long time. Interesting stuff. The pyro in me :lol:

Well that must be where the word { hot pants come from :lol: :lol: ]
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:44 pm

Well that must be where the word { hot pants come from ]

On occasion, an overfilled zippo lighter leaked in my pocket and caused my leg to overheat (chemical burn) :oops:

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:12 pm

My thoughts would be it's chemical or battery ighnition. such that the lid being removed triggers an ignitor. Or that chemical that ignites when exposed to air not sure of the burn rate of it maybe that could do it but I would think either would be dangerous, hence the recall. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:46 pm

I think it would be great to have a sure-lock-lid alchy stove that would light up as soon as you took the lid off. sort of a ubergeek Trangia :ugeek:

Only on bplite will you find it :ugeek:

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:45 pm

My mother-in-law had one too. Hers was piezo-ignition.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:10 pm

The one I'm looking for had no mechanical means of ignition. If it didnt light right away all she would do is blow on it a tad and it would light. Oxygen being part of the reaction on a thin piece of wire of some kind of alien wire :D

Return to “DIY Odds and Ends”