stove making for caldera clone

zelph

Re: stove making for caldera clone

Post by zelph » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:44 pm

Aluminum is my first choice for alcohol. I use a 2.5 cup capacity, 5" diameter pot with bail handle. Same one I use in all my tests prior to putting a stove for sale on the forums and store site. Stainless and titanium take longer to transfer heat.

A new design soon to be made public has a very focused flame for small pots. Works great for large also.

I noticed that yonfon used a snap closure design for his windscreen that I used on a cone windscreen long ago and posted on Whiteblaze and here on bplite. Jasonclass knows where that idea comes from also.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:19 am

zelph wrote:Aluminum is my first choice for alcohol. I use a 2.5 cup capacity, 5" diameter pot with bail handle. Same one I use in all my tests prior to putting a stove for sale on the forums and store site. Stainless and titanium take longer to transfer heat.

A new design soon to be made public has a very focused flame for small pots. Works great for large also.

I noticed that yonfon used a snap closure design for his windscreen that I used on a cone windscreen long ago and posted on Whiteblaze and here on bplite. Jasonclass knows where that idea comes from also.
i use that same pot for all my test also a sterno pot comes in a #25 kit e bay was good to me i got a sterno kit #25 for 99 cents plus 3.00 shipping i was the only one :DB: :DB:now i got 5 or 6 sets
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:48 pm

Now all those 5 kits will be good to you for a few years. You'll never run out, never can have too many pots and stoves :D

The Kmart grease pots have been good to me in all my tests and on my current camping trip. Using it for wood fires, good pot.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:09 pm

dimeotane wrote:I'd love some stove making advice. I've made a little caldera clone for my 500ml sierra cup. I've been trying to make a stove for it that can boil two cups on 15ml meths. The cone is *supposed* to be very efficient, but I'm not getting much luck.

The problem is that most stoves I've made that work well outside the cone burn too hot inside the cone. They boil off the meth and flare out the holes of the cone. The 15ml meth is burned up in 4 minutes! I've made out of pepsi cans a 'kitty stove' similar to the one that comes with the cone.
I tried a 'super cat' (with a gap below the pot).

I tried using a small steel can and it burned much slower, 10 minutes... but still didn't bring the water to a boil.

Any suggestions?

How are you coming along with increasing stove efficiency? did you get it to boil yet?

dimeotane

Post by dimeotane » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:19 am

I made a new cone windscreen from aluminum flashing to match the 800 ml Brunton aluminum pot.
It's much much better designed and constructed than my first one. Very happy with it. I like how rock solid stable it is. I used the script from captain paranoia at outdoor magic.

I burned 15 ml alcohol, to bring 2 cups of 22c water to 97c (7 minutes) Ambient temp 17c. It had a nice hissing boil sound for a minute. It flamed out at 8.5 minutes. Currently the distance to the pot is 25mm so I'll have to play around with that to 'optimize' it more. I read on hikinghq.net the ION's optimal distance to pot is 5/8" or 16 mm, which is much less than what I currently have. However I read that the Trangia has a 30mm distance.
http://ultralight-hiking.com/stoves-trangia.html shows 34mm to 38 as giving a faster boil on the trangia

I figured out something tonight though... we have very hard water here where I live... the boiling point of hard water is higher. I'll have to try distilled water for testing purposes to see how it changes my results.

Weights: pot 139g + stove 7g + screen/stand 34g = 180 g
Add in a 250 ml bottle of meth, and that's 415 g total.
Last edited by dimeotane on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:01 pm

I read on hikinghq.net the ION's optimal distance to pot is 5/8" or 16 mm, which is much less than what I currently have.
Are you using the "Ion" design stove under your new cone design?

dimeotane

Post by dimeotane » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:55 pm

Here's a pic of the stove. Something I've been tinkering with. Inspired by the great stove designs I've seen online.
It's made from a tin of vienna sausage (or some other horrible canned meat).
stuffed with fiberglass, 1/2 inch tall, 2 1/4 inch across
has 12 blades folded at 90 degrees. It's easy to fill and light, which is what I like best about it. Also no priming or preheating.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:25 pm

dimeotane wrote:Here's a pic of the stove. Something I've been tinkering with. Inspired by the great stove designs I've seen online.
It's made from a tin of vienna sausage (or some other horrible canned meat).
stuffed with fiberglass, 1/2 inch tall, 2 1/4 inch across
has 12 blades folded at 90 degrees. It's easy to fill and light, which is what I like best about it. Also no priming or preheating.
Your design is nice and compact. :D
I burned 15 ml alcohol, to bring 2 cups of 22c water to 97c. Ambient temp 17c. It had a nice hissing boil sound for a minute. It flamed out at 8.5 minutes. Currently the distance to the pot is 25mm so I'll have to play around with that to 'optimize' it more.
You have good test results there. Your combination is working just fine. Stoves that need priming are not efficient so you are on the right track.

Nice to be able to have a cone windscreen to hold up your pot.

The closer you have your stove to the pot, the slower it will burn. Too close and it will not burn :o

dimeotane

Post by dimeotane » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:36 pm

I think my Nalgine bottle may not have correct measurement markings! Today I measured from another cup and used distilled water. My stove & cone performed quite a bit better... all other things the same.

Test #2:
Using distilled water, 500ml water, 19c ambient, 23c water
6.5 minutes to 93c
7 minutes to 99.6c
8.5 minutes total burn

Test #3
23c water, 18c ambient
5 min 75c
6 min 88c
7 min 99c
8 min 99.6c
8.5 min total burn

It can maintain a boil for 1.5 minutes after reaching 99c. So perhaps it could reach boil on slightly less than 15ml meth.

Also, it seems that my thermometer doesn't want to register boil as exactly 100c it seems to like hovering around 99.6 throughout the boil. Perhaps it's time for me to get one thats more accurate.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:40 am

Getting better by the hour/day :D

One degree this way or that way won't matter :o