odds and ends

zelph

odds and ends

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:08 pm

Found a long lost disc with some DIY stuff. Will try to describe them later. Cant get them to be side by side :?
Which shelter are using isopropyl alcohol in the stoves?
When you're in bear country you take paper and your power.
Dinner DIY
Green River Idaho

Emergency firestarter kit.

Fire starters and canisters to carry powdered magnesium on keychain.

The green lighter has magnesium in it, pour it out when needed and poof!!!!

Lots of cotton stored in one of those little white tubes, I'm sure you can id them. Use for fire starting tinder.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Allen

Re: odds and ends

Postby Allen » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:11 am

Great pictures!
I don't even know where to start with questions and comments.
You did what to that poor Zippo?
Where do You get powdered Magnesium?
Worlds largest lighters, or worlds smallest condoms?
You built a time machine? Out of a Delorean? Er, I mean, You built a solid fuel tab stove? Out of a floppy disk?

Cheers!

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:30 am

Lots of cotton stored in one of those little white tubes, I'm sure you can id them. Use for fire starting tinder.

These also work great for the deer hunter. Cut in half, put into film cannister with deer "scent" , leave string hang outside and snap lid on. You can put several in a cannister. Go to your tree stand and take them out of the cannister and hang on tree limbs in the vicinity of your treestand. ;) They Work!!!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:39 pm

Allen wrote:Great pictures!
I don't even know where to start with questions and comments.
You did what to that poor Zippo?
Where do You get powdered Magnesium?
Worlds largest lighters, or worlds smallest condoms?
You built a time machine? Out of a Delorean? Er, I mean, You built a solid fuel tab stove? Out of a floppy disk?

Cheers!

Mofified the zippo to use a sewing machine bobbin wound with jute twine as the fuel(consider it tinder on a spool ;) ) Pull a small amount out and fluff it. Turn the spark wheel and the fluffed twine ignites. The lighter is kept in my emergency grab and run kit. It's always ready to lite :)

Powdered magnesium is available on eabay occasionally.

I used large "finger cots" available at Kmart pharmacy to waterproof the lighters and batterys. After 1 year the latex dries out and falls apart. bummer!!!! Don't use as condoms or as long term waterproofing.

In the early days of the comact disc the metal piece was made of stainless steel on the better quality discs. I was into fire related items when I frequented a survival site back in 2003. That site is where I came to know tiny and his cute behavior.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:40 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:

These also work great for the deer hunter. Cut in half, put into film cannister with deer "scent" , leave string hang outside and snap lid on. You can put several in a cannister. Go to your tree stand and take them out of the cannister and hang on tree limbs in the vicinity of your treestand. ;) They Work!!!

See there!!! a multi use item :D

Allen

Postby Allen » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:46 pm

Thanks zelph!

Very clever ideas.If You don't mind, I'm gonna try the Zippo trick. I guess You use it dry without fuel?.

Sorry You and Tinny don't get along :cry: I like You both so I'm gonna stay netural.

Cheers!

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:31 am

Allen wrote:Thanks zelph!

Very clever ideas.If You don't mind, I'm gonna try the Zippo trick. I guess You use it dry without fuel?.

Sorry You and Tinny don't get along :cry: I like You both so I'm gonna stay netural.

Cheers!

Get some jute twine first, fluff the end of it at least 1" inch of it and lite it with a spark. Practice first, then buy a cheapo lighter to cut up.

Allen

Postby Allen » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:22 am

OK,
I already have all the stuff, so I practice with the jute.
Thanks and Cheers!

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:57 am

Allen wrote:OK,
Thanks and Cheers!

There is a video I made to show the jute being ignited with a ferro rod, have you seen it?

Allen

Postby Allen » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:11 pm

zelph wrote:
Allen wrote:OK,
Thanks and Cheers!

There is a video I made to show the jute being ignited with a ferro rod, have you seen it?

No, Is it on Youtube?

Cheers!

P.S I just found the "view new posts" button on the index page. That's a really nice feature.

Return to “DIY Odds and Ends”