odds and ends

zelph

Re: odds and ends

Postby zelph » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:36 pm

Allen wrote:
zelph wrote:
Allen wrote:OK,
I already have all the stuff, so I practice with the jute.
Thanks and Cheers!

There is a video I made to show the jute being ignited with a ferro rod, have you seen it?

No, Is it on Youtube?

Cheers!

P.S I just found the "view new posts" button on the index page. That's a really nice feature.

Here is the link to the flint jute twine video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDBBtUIVM5s

Click on that little round dot on the lower right hand corner to get you back up to the top of the thread :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Allen

Postby Allen » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:33 am

Thanks zelph!

Cheers!

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:27 am

I came across a disc with some photos of the first lighter that I made with the jute twine. The second one was a modified model that had the sewing bobbin in it to dispense the twine when needed.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Allen

Postby Allen » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:53 pm

Thanks for the pictures zelph!
They really make the process easier to understand.
Do You think an empty Bic could work? Just drill out the butane jet altogether, and cut the bottom of the
lighter off to stuff the Jute into the lighter body. There is always a lot of flint left in a Bic when the
butane is empty. Or just drill out the butane jet and stuff the lighter body full of Jute from the top?

BTW, I remember that the Flywheel of the old Volkswagon Beetles were made from Magnesium.
I suppose You could file off shavings for fire starting?

Cheers!

Allen

Postby Allen » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:01 pm

The Jute I have now is green colored for garden use. I tried some as a wick for an alcohol stove.
It didn't absorb alcohol well at all, but I noticed that it left the alcohol a pretty green color.
Cheers!

Allen

Postby Allen » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:26 pm

I just remembered, I still have some Potasium Nitrate left over from when I used to make incense.
You can mix some of that in water and soak the Jute in it, let it dry and it would flare up like a
firecracker fuse. I guess that would be cheating :)

Cheers!

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:57 pm

Allen wrote:Thanks for the pictures zelph!
They really make the process easier to understand.
Do You think an empty Bic could work? Just drill out the butane jet altogether, and cut the bottom of the
lighter off to stuff the Jute into the lighter body. There is always a lot of flint left in a Bic when the
butane is empty. Or just drill out the butane jet and stuff the lighter body full of Jute from the top?

BTW, I remember that the Flywheel of the old Volkswagon Beetles were made from Magnesium.
I suppose You could file off shavings for fire starting?

Cheers!

I put the photos up especially for you. This one shows some magnesium that came of a bar that's included with a ferro rod attached(coglands). I used a rotary rasp in my Dremel Tool. Works alot faster than trying to scrape it off with a knife or file.

]Image[

Mix a little charcoal and sulfur with the potasium nitrate and it'll make the jute light alot easier. Be sure to wear safety glasses.

One of those photos up there shows the magnesium in a plastic bic lighter.

Allen

Postby Allen » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:12 pm

zelph,
The amount of effort You put into this blog is really amazing.
I really can't thank You enough.
Cheers!

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:29 pm

Allen wrote:zelph,
The amount of effort You put into this blog is really amazing.
I really can't thank You enough.
Cheers!

Your welcome. All this is for the betterment of the backpacking community. We need to strive to make the best possible DIY equipment. I have fun doing this site. I like sharing the things I make. I have over 1,500 photos posted here and on Whiteblaze.net. that are DIY related. When I scroll thru my albums, my eyes go bonkers trying to locate a specific photo thats related to a discussion :D

Just a side note: that zippo jute lighter can be used one handed to ignite and start an emergency fire. Just in case one hand would be injured in a fall, animal attack, etc. :)

Allen

Postby Allen » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:44 pm

i didn't know about Whiteblaze.net, I'll check it out.

Cheers!

Return to “DIY Odds and Ends”