Jet Boil

The stove creations of Oops56 and a Collection of Vintage Stoves of the Past
oops56

Jet Boil

Postby oops56 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:01 am

Well i had this jet boil cup for some time i got it to work on a trangia but not as good as i like. So tonight i made a alcohol stove for it but the flames keep going up the side so after 4 or 5 types of stoves got on that works great. On 1/2 oz. 16 oz water boil time 4 min. burn time 5 min. don't like much but coffee or noddles it work.Now it you like to see the stove and how to make their got to be more then one thats interested. everybody looks says northing.
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Re: Jet Boil

Postby zelph » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:55 am

oops56 wrote:Well i had this jet boil cup for some time i got it to work on a trangia but not as good as i like. So tonight i made a alcohol stove for it but the flames keep going up the side so after 4 or 5 types of stoves got on that works great. On 1/2 oz. 16 oz water boil time 4 min. burn time 5 min. don't like much but coffee or noddles it work.Now it you like to see the stove and how to make their got to be more then one thats interested. everybody looks says northing.

I'm interested in the design oops.

You and Nightwalker are pure Stovies to have one of those Jetboil cups laying around to experiment with. I asked Knighwalker a question last week but he never came back to answer it. Must of gone on a hike!!!! Here is a quote from what he said about the Jet boil being used with an alcohol stove. : Re: Stove Comparison - "Real World Use"
by zelph on Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:57 am

Nightwalker wrote:
Great article.

With 70 degree ambient temp and 70 degree water, a Pocket Rocket used 4 grams of fuel to heat 16 ounces of water compared to the Giga Power's 5 grams. This was using Snow Peak fuel and a Jet Boil GCS pot. Even though this pot weighs 12 ounces, the fact that it cuts the fuel use almost exactly in half makes it a good choice.

The GCS pot weighed 12 ounces, as I've already said. The Heineken pot, stove, stand and container for them all weigh 5.9 ounces. That makes the beginning penalty 12.2 ounces. I used 16 grams of fuel per day (.571 ounces) with that setup, and 3 fluid ounces of alcohol per day to do the same thing (2.4 by weight).

I seem to fiddle with my alcohol stove more while it's cooking. The cons are that I hardly ever get to spend a week in the woods between resupply, so I hardly ever catch up on the initial penalty. When my wife goes with me, I always take the canister setup. When I'm by myself, I always take the alcohol stove.

Thanks again for the good article, Mags, and I hope that my little bit of additional info helps.

Frank
(Weeks, not months, lol.)

1. How many times per day were the stoves used?

2. Wow!!!! the Jet Boil GCS pot cuts fuel consumption almost in half. How does it fare using an alcohol stove under it? Have you done comparisons?

3. The set-up that you use for alcohol(Heineken pot, stove, stand and container for them all weigh 5.9 ounces.0), what kind of stove do you use and what container do you use to contain the kit?

Nice comparisons Nightwalker, thank you.

Opps, do you have any comparisons using the stove under a different pot. You're getting a 4 min boil with the jet boil pot, how about trying it under a different pot ?

Come on Oops, show us your stove and tell us how to make one.

You also Knightwalker if your out there, show us the stove.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Postby oops56 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:30 am

Dam this computer it keeps messing up i had it all wrote up and lost it be back later and say dam so here is the picture of stoves that work back later say more

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:24 pm

oops56 wrote:Dam this computer it keeps messing up i had it all wrote up and lost it be back later and say dam so here is the picture of stoves that work back later say more

Just a side note here about stove design.

The fastest I've been able to boil 2 cups of water is 4 min.

Once with a Supercat and once with one of my designs that needed a seperate pot stand (Megawick)

The use of the Jetboil cup should give a shorter boil time I would think. I'm very interested to see if the corrugated base of the cup is really making any stove more efficient.

oops56

Postby oops56 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:31 pm

oops56 wrote:Well i had this jet boil cup for some time i got it to work on a trangia but not as good as i like. So tonight i made a alcohol stove for it but the flames keep going up the side so after 4 or 5 types of stoves got on that works great. On 1/2 oz. 16 oz water boil time 4 min. burn time 5 min. don't like much but coffee or noddles it work.Now it you like to see the stove and how to make their got to be more then one thats interested. everybody looks says northing.

well this is twice i tried to say how and when i do a backspace to fix a word it goes back a page and i lose it all one more time later

oops56

Postby oops56 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:47 pm

O K this time any miss spelled words or anything it stays
The big trangia not good works like a regular one burns up the middle
Next is the one that works
the next is the one #3 of 3 to get it right diff. hole size and hight etc. i put a cheese can bottom one so i could cut or make longer or shorter .Then did the 2 from the left it a tinny old type elite.The way it works the flame must go up but also out to hit the fins a straight up flame that hits the fins not as good.
on a 1/2 5 min.burn 16 oz. water 3-1/2 to 4 min . boil not as fast as the canister but cheaper.Oh this cheese can is the right size to fit up into the jet boil as soon it empty make it like # 2

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:53 pm

oops56 wrote:

well this is twice i tried to say how and when i do a backspace to fix a word it goes back a page and i lose it all one more time later

Oops, when you want to proof read your post, try the "preview' button. It'll save what you've written, but allow you to edit it as well and you can cut or paste from the 'preview'(scroll to the top of the page)into your post box(at the bottom of the page).

Give it a try, I know how frustrating it is to lose a long post when you really want to explain something. AArrghhhh!
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

oops56

Postby oops56 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:54 pm

It has to do with my spell cheacker when after i check my spelling need to fix and add more then when i miss spell try to back space thats when it does it it goes back to the blank reply page. i try that preview thing keep it open then ever two lines just keep preview as you go.Gee almost time to out to shop burn some alcohol :lol: :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:20 am

oops56 wrote:It has to do with my spell cheacker when after i check my spelling need to fix and add more then when i miss spell try to back space thats when it does it it goes back to the blank reply page. i try that preview thing keep it open then ever two lines just keep preview as you go.Gee almost time to out to shop burn some alcohol :lol: :lol:

Going out and burn some alcohol works for me every time. :lol: :lol:

Stay with us oops, you'll work out the bugs, cold weather is on its way, that'll take care of some of the bugs. :D

You've come along way since I met you on Sgt. Rocks HQ. When are you going to have an avatar? You need a signature also.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:13 pm

Oops, what is the size of that trangia? How long does it take to bloom without priming?

Actually, how many different size trangias and look-alikes are made?

Return to “Oops56 Creations and Things”