the old Pepsi G

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
DarenN

the old Pepsi G

Post by DarenN » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:47 pm

thinking about the discussion on bottom vs side flames on the pot got me thinking about concave bottoms and about jetted stoves, so i dragged out an old Pepsi-g and a Heinypot and started messing around with potstands. i made a potstand for the P-G like the older Sgt Rock Ion (screen rolled to fit inside the burner with wires bent out at the top) and cut it so that there was only about 1/2" of stand above the stoves top rim.

now, granted, this old P-G ain't stock. she's been souped up a bit. but, i managed to get three consecutive 2cup boils in the Heinypot on only 16ml of Methyl Hydrate, and in only 6minutes, with flame out at 6:30. not bad for a jetted stove with flames licking halfway up the sides of the pot. :D

Daren..........

ps: lets not forget the difference in BTU potential between Methyl and Ethyl based alcohols. :mrgreen:

"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Re: the old Pepsi G

Post by zelph » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:43 am

DarenN wrote:thinking about the discussion on bottom vs side flames on the pot got me thinking about concave bottoms and about jetted stoves, so i dragged out an old Pepsi-g and a Heinypot and started messing around with potstands. i made a potstand for the P-G like the older Sgt Rock Ion (screen rolled to fit inside the burner with wires bent out at the top) and cut it so that there was only about 1/2" of stand above the stoves top rim.

now, granted, this old P-G ain't stock. she's been souped up a bit. but, i managed to get three consecutive 2cup boils in the Heinypot on only 16ml of Methyl Hydrate, and in only 6minutes, with flame out at 6:30. not bad for a jetted stove with flames licking halfway up the sides of the pot. :D

Daren..........

ps: lets not forget the difference in BTU potential between Methyl and Ethyl based alcohols. :mrgreen:

Flames up the side of the pot are not bad as you found out. I think sgt rock started the urban legend about the side flames. :mrgreen: I don't think the rock visits here so I can say that :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:24 pm

zelph wrote:Flames up the side of the pot are not bad as you found out. I think sgt rock started the urban legend about the side flames. :mrgreen: I don't think the rock visits here so I can say that :lol: :lol: :lol:
if he did visit us here he'd probably do so 'incognito'. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:06 pm

DarenN wrote:
zelph wrote:Flames up the side of the pot are not bad as you found out. I think sgt rock started the urban legend about the side flames. :mrgreen: I don't think the rock visits here so I can say that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh my, you're right, he could be Incognito. He's been invited, wonder why he's never shown up :?: We've got room for one more stove maker. I think he long retired from stove making after the competition from tinny put pressure on him. :mrgreen:

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:58 pm

zelph wrote:
DarenN wrote:
Oh my, you're right, he could be Incognito. He's been invited, wonder why he's never shown up :?: We've got room for one more stove maker. I think he long retired from stove making after the competition from tinny put pressure on him. :mrgreen:
competition? from tiny? not likely! :lol: (i've never seen Sgt. Rock dump a 12-pack of Heineken beer in his gravel driveway! :o )
i've built a few of the ION stoves and found them to be a pretty darn good piece of kit. Sarge obviously spent a great deal of time on research and development. just read through his site for some great info. the version of the ION i like best is this one (i know. ;) the potstand is way too tall. i've cut it down.) :

http://hikinghq.net/sgt_stove/ion_stove1_pf.html

it work just great, whether it's under a pot or a Heineypot, don't seem to matter much.

Daren.......

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:20 am

Stove looks great and test results are great also. Nice work on this one as always. Nice stainless potstand, whoooo!!!!!!

Sgt rock does have a lot of good information on his site, for sure alot of time involved in getting the statistics. He and Tony are of the same school, small flame under pot and a slow burn.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:30 pm

messing around with potstand hieghts on the ION, (and other burners), i've found that you can get quicker boil times with a taller potstand. but only to a point, and at the cost of higher fuel consumption. the Pepsi G mentioned earlier is a good example. with 2" between the top of the burner and the pot it'll boil two cups in under five minutes but use over 30ml of fuel to do it. efficient use of time but inefficient use of fuel.

Daren.....

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:41 pm

DarenN wrote:messing around with potstand hieghts on the ION, (and other burners), i've found that you can get quicker boil times with a taller potstand. but only to a point, and at the cost of higher fuel consumption. the Pepsi G mentioned earlier is a good example. with 2" between the top of the burner and the pot it'll boil two cups in under five minutes but use over 30ml of fuel to do it. efficient use of time but inefficient use of fuel.

Daren.....
1/4 inch one way or another could make or break a stove test.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:47 pm

Does anyone know what happened to the Rocks thru hike this year? Last I heard, he hurt his ankle and had to take time off the trail. I did not hear what his plans were after that. :?:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Skidsteer

Post by Skidsteer » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:16 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Does anyone know what happened to the Rocks thru hike this year? Last I heard, he hurt his ankle and had to take time off the trail. I did not hear what his plans were after that. :?:
Stress fracture in the foot. He's working at a security firm and comptemplating getting into law enforcement, last I heard.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)