Optimus Crux

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
DarenN

Re: Optimus Crux

Postby DarenN » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:51 pm

i talked to my freind and he will bring the stove and canisters over by Friday latest. i'll do some boil testing and weight measuring with the system; if for nothing else than to give him a basis for comparison. (like i don't have enough projects running already :D )

Daren.........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:52 pm

i picked one of these up a couple months ago and sale. i wanted the flex but was never able to find one to look at in person. this one was looks like the same thing and was on sale so i got it. i have done some minimal testing but nothing exact. the control valve does have a short travel of operation but its seems to turn forever. even with is being short the turn is smooth and easy to control. now for the biggest complaint about the stove... the wobble. it does wobble. i have tried this stove on every surface i could find to test on around here from a table top to rocky clay to a tree stump. the only time the wobble occurred was when i touched the pot and the wobble was very little but definitely noticeable.

overall i would use this without question. it doesnt beat the jetboil but for a canister stove nothing i have used does. all the tests i did with it were done with a grease pot and a imusa mug. both were purchased new recently and have been painted black with high heat paint. with some of the reviews i have read online i wonder if they didnt have a slight redesign to reduce the wobble. that may be worth me looking into.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:48 pm

overall i would use this without question. it doesnt beat the jetboil but for a canister stove nothing i have used does. all the tests i did with it were done with a grease pot and a imusa mug. both were purchased new recently and have been painted black with high heat paint. with some of the reviews i have read online i wonder if they didnt have a slight redesign to reduce the wobble. that may be worth me looking into.

Hey, good to see you :D

Have you turned your stove upside down on a table top to check for uneven pot supports.?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:17 am

that, i have not done.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:39 am

Hit it with a hammer like oops56 did with his "penny" stove :o :mrgreen:

Have you settled in on any specific stove for your camping needs or are still searching? Last one i remember, you were experimenting with the one that had the simmer band around it's middle....can't think of the name of it. Had the thin wire legs.

edited to read: found it....viewtopic.php?f=49&t=1290&start=50

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:00 pm

still looking for that perfect stove and cook set combo but i dont think that it will ever happen. so i have settled on the fact that the needs for every trip is different so i need options. more gear is never a bad thing, right?

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:39 am

Never can have too much gear. My garage is full :mrgreen: and I keep buying. Just bought a wood burning stove recently for the fun of it :D tent size!!!

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:59 am

im actually trying to build a wood stove for a tent out of an old helium tank my sister got for my nephews bday party. im not really sure that it will withstand the heat but i will be trying anyway. this project has been going on for a while now. every time i pull it out to work on it something happens and i end up working on something else. its been a really long time since i started this but the first few burns seemed to work well. i just dont have it where i want it yet.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:49 pm

I'll be damned!That cat has been awful busy dragging in the oldsters..How have you been,IR?! I haven't been here for quite a while also..I know..back on topic :roll: ..I haven't pulled out my gaz stoves I have for quite awhile,still stacked in the "stove" file cabinet...under "G".. :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Stove Testing and Reviews”