FeatherFire

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
zelph

Re: FeatherFire

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:07 am

hoz wrote:
zelph wrote:This is the stove I was trying to think off.

The cat stove

Do you agree on this one Skidsteer or Pure?????

That "original cat stove" was my first alky cooker. Made just like that and I used it for several years until it started to rust. Then switched to Pepsi cans.

The cat stove made by Sgt. Rock was a spinoff of the one made by Roy Robinson

I believe the FeatherFire to be ultimate in the evolution of the Cat Stove. It is 2 containers, the inner one contains the fuel, the outside one acts as a windscreen of sorts and directs air flow up the sides of the fuel tin, curves it over the rim of the fuel tin and then goes up into the narrow opening and out. I like the "Venturi" effect the narrowing of the opening has on the flame pattern.

Actually, the FeatherFire is made of 3 cans. One can is used to form the "Base" of the burner. Another can is attached to the base to form the Feual container can. It is attached to the base with an aluminum rivet (Not PoP Rivet). The third can is the outer can that the Pot support legs are attached to. On the inside of the "outer" can there is a ring of reinforcing sheet steel in the form of a wide band that goes completely around the wall of the can. It provides a good gripping surface for the screews that hold the pot stand legs to the wall of the "Outer Can" It also adds rigidity to the entire burner.

Alot of engineering went into this stove. Alot!

The top hole ( 1 - 1/8") seems to have an epoxy coating surrounding it on the inside of the can. It may be acting as a reinforcement for 2 reasons. To aid in the machining of the hole and to add strength for repeated heating during the use of the stove. As we know, aluminum weakens when it is in direct contact with flames. That hole is the flame contact point that transferes all the heat down and up thru the bottom of the burner to heat up the fuel in the "Fuel Can"

Three cans:

1. Outer

2. inside fuel can

3. Burner "Base"
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:03 pm

This stove looks and sounds very cool, maybe, even worth the $30 price tag. :lol: You can tell there is a lot of engineering design that went into making the stove. Several questions:
Are you pleased with the simmering capabilities?
With the extra cost of the reflector plate, windscreen, and special purpose fuel bottle, does the stove, at least, come with a storage container to protect the legs/potsupports and the simmering cable?
Are the legs/pot support arms adjustable so you can use a Heine pot?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:23 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:This stove looks and sounds very cool, maybe, even worth the $30 price tag. :lol: You can tell there is a lot of engineering design that went into making the stove. Several questions:
Are you pleased with the simmering capabilities?
With the extra cost of the reflector plate, windscreen, and special purpose fuel bottle, does the stove, at least, come with a storage container to protect the legs/potsupports and the simmering cable?
Are the legs/pot support arms adjustable so you can use a Heine pot?

Simmering capabilities look fine. It will take practice at home in subdued light to observe the air reduction of the control. It will be something like counting the turns of the cable to know how to adjust the heat. You won't be able to see the flame during real life conditions on the trail. Your pot size needs to be of the larger sizes. No adjustment to make it fit a Heineken pot or other diameters up to 4.25 inches. If there is a breeze when cooking the flame of the stove is going to be wavering in and out from under the pot. Simmering on the trail is going to be a learning process for sure.

If you confine your activities to the floors of "Shelters" your ok. On soil your not going to have very good luck without a firm pad under the thin wire legs of the potsupport. They'll sink into soft soil and off goes your pot.

Stove does not come with a storage container. The little wire legs swing in the breeze sorta when trying to fold for storage. I took it to several area Fastner companies to find out the name of the clamp that's used for the simmer device. I had to tape the legs to the burner to keep them in place. I eventualy found the name of it on the net.

After a week or so of testing I'll make the stove available for resale. I have too many stoves. The purchase of this one was for "Stove Science" :D Maybe auction it off on ebay.
Last edited by zelph on Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:40 pm

what type of cans are we talking about here? like two soda cans and a red bull can?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

hoz

Postby hoz » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:40 pm

zelph wrote: I took it to several are Fastner companies to find out the name of the clamp that's used for the simmer device.

Did you check out McMaster/Carr? http://www.mcmaster.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:21 pm

hoz wrote:
zelph wrote: I took it to several are Fastner companies to find out the name of the clamp that's used for the simmer device.

Did you check out McMaster/Carr? http://www.mcmaster.com/

I did, they have some.

IRS. I'm not familiar with the cans, they have no lable residue. I would guess beer cans and take your pick on the inside. The inside would be 1/2 inch smaller in the OD. The bottom conforms to the curvature of the outside can bottom. As I go along with my testing I'll get the dimensions of the cans for everyone. I'll get some comparison photos of some cans next to the stove.

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:29 pm

zelph wrote:This is the stove I was trying to think off.

The cat stove

Do you agree on this one Skidsteer or Pure?????

Yes indeed. A Cat stove with a flame adjustment and integral stand. Similar to a Brasslite with a bit of high tech gadgetry thrown in.

Cat stoves are also known as chimney stoves
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:13 pm

Just by chance I started working on the black hole stove that looks like it's of the same principle/design. The air comes into the sides of the cone, goes over the fuel container and up and out. When I complete it I'll show the parts and how you can make one.

The FeatherFire is really made well. Basicly, it's a chimney stove with an adjustable band to close off the side holes.

I don't think I'll have the time today to do any tests. Big eating party going on at the in-laws.

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:15 am

any new stuff about the stove yet?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:56 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:any new stuff about the stove yet?

It's been a busy busy weekend :D Not enough stove time though :(

The can size for the top of the burner is 2 - 1/8 inches O.D. I measured a 23 ounce can of Arizona green tea at the same size as the stoves burner. Hope that helps some.

Got to get back to fixin my snow blower, winter dropped into the midwest :D

Return to “Stove Testing and Reviews”