FeatherFire

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
Ridgerunner

Re: FeatherFire

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:36 pm

Nicely done IRA. I can't wait to see some test burn pictures. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:07 pm

“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:08 pm

I did 3 test burns using 1/2 ounce of fuel in an aluminum pot that holds 5 cups of water. I used heet/yellow, 70 degree water to start and 70 degree air temp room (laboratory, roll your r's when pronouncing) Could not get water to boil. Averaged 180 degrees. I need to find my favorite 2.5 cup aluminum for further tests.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:48 pm

zelph wrote: I need to find my favorite 2.5 cup aluminum for further tests.

it's in your mailbox, i'd bet.

"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:03 pm

DarenN wrote:
zelph wrote: I need to find my favorite 2.5 cup aluminum for further tests.

it's in your mailbox, i'd bet.

It was in the mail box, you must have the abilities of Santa. You know I've been good :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: I havn't been pouting :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

I was able to get in 2 more quick tests in before you know who got home ;) The "banner"

1/2 ounce like before but a different pot. Still no boil. Ave temp 185 degrees.

If you watched IRA's video you saw and heard a "puuuf" made by the vapors igniting quickly with that nerve rattling sound.

The FeatherFire does the same thing. If you value your finger hair, follow the directions and light the stove with a twig. The"Puuuf" will get your finger hair and will startle you when it happens. Trust me :mrgreen:

Watching these last two burns shows that the flames are being pushed off to one side of the pot due to the uneven amount of holes that provide air to the fuel. I tried to compensate for it by moving the pot but the pot slipped off the pot support wires and made the entire stove want to tip over. I was holding onto the pot handle when this occured and was able to stabilize the stove and pot. :D

1/3 of the stove does not have air holes. It's the side the simmer divice is attached to. The flames are directed to the simmer device side.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:12 pm

To keep an even flame, I have to wonder why they didn't put holes all the way around the stove?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:31 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:To keep an even flame, I have to wonder why they didn't put holes all the way around the stove?

There is a reinforcing steel band/piece that is needed to secure the simmer device and the pot support leg. The air holes are 1/2 " dia. The simmerdevice hugs close to the stove on the attaching side, less air entering there also.

This photo shows the top of the stove. It is marked with two black lines showing the distance not having air holes.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:37 pm

It was in the mail box, you must have the abilities of Santa. You know I've been good I havn't been pouting
Gotta love those trips to the mailbox ;) :lol: Personnally, I'm happy to not see another BILL ! :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:56 am

Hey irrationalsolutions!!!! how are you doing with your featherfire? Have you put it through some good field testing? Let us know how you like it.

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:26 pm

i thought i posted about it some on another thread. guess i didnt.

anyway i had some time to play with it. it works well! kinda fun to play with. the only problem i have had with it was at the beach. but that was a high wind area. to keep the stove down i had to put the windscreen tight and stake it down.

other than that it has worked like a champ! i have played around with it here at the house almost as much as i have with the ones im working on myself.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Return to “Stove Testing and Reviews”