Bushcooker Lt1 solo

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
zelph

Bushcooker Lt1 solo

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:24 pm

I'm going to be testing this little stove that a friend of mine sent to me. After testing I'll send it back with the results.

Here is a little info about it:

It's made by Fourdogstove Co. in MN

BUSHCOOKER Lt I 2,5oz

“ solo”

$ 80.00

3,5 “ diam x 4” high

Made of Titanium

It's the size of a soup can. The actual fire box is really really small.

Fourdog recommends tha fuel not be placed higher than the holes located on the inside of the stove. Those little holes are said to have preheated air enter into the top side of the fire box. One of the photos shows how small of an area you have left for wood/twigs. I'm wondering if I will be able to boil 1 cup of water with a full load of wood.

One of the photos is from fourdog's site (1st one). and it shows fuel stacked higher than the holes. On hammock forums he says not above the holes for best result.

A few days ago I did a test burn and the stove seems to be lacking on incoming air at it's base causing charcoal to remain after flame out. I'll do a video of the next burn to see if the same occurs.

The one photo shows a quarter inside the can to give you an idea how small this stove is. It's as tall as a soup can and same diameter. The small can is the same diameter as the soup can. The pot supports prevent me from placing the small can inside. The small can is the same size as the inside of the stove when it rests on the grate. The soup can is as tall as the stove to the top of the pot supports. The base of the stove is wider than a soup can.
Attachments
fourdog bushcooker.jpg
GrizzBridge 010.jpg
GrizzBridge 009.jpg
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Re: Bushcooker Lt1 solo

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:23 pm

Has anyone purchased this stove and if so what have you found of it's ability to boil 2 cups of water?

I find it to be too small to be of any worth.

The stove is well built and you can throw it into the woods a thousand times without any consequence.

I find the grate to be lacking in it's ability to allow sufficient air up through from below. There is more air entering from the inner top holes than from below. This is causing to much charcol to be left after the flames go out, inefficient burn. The charcoal will be consumed at a slow rate and become ash. Too slow to be of worth for cooking/heating water.

I'm finished testing the stove and will return it to it's owner. Any questions?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:53 pm

The stove is well built and you can throw it into the woods a thousand times without any consequence.

$80?..I can throw fire pit rocks in the woods(for cheaper) also without any consequences... unless I hit somebody.. :o
:lol:

Why do people go nuts over the word titanium? :shock: I can buy a stainless container the same size at a thrift store for a buck and a half!It would probably get used as much and last as long... :roll: If it wears out sooner..I can go buy another one..and still have $77 in my pocket.. :mrgreen:
There is a minimum size limit for stoves for any type of fuel ..where it doesn't really matter how great it appears to be..because you will need to constantly feed the thing to keep it going long enough to complete the task you bought it for.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JollyRogers

Postby JollyRogers » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:57 pm

The answer is simple... G.O.C. ..."Gram Obsession Complex" :D A noble idea, but in the case of cook sets, a misguided one.

The funniest part about it is that aluminum is actually much lighter than titanium, so you can have a thicker piece of aluminum to make up for the strength properties of titanium for most applications. I mean, unless you're using a cast iron bathtub to cook with, what's the point.

For stoves titanium has a much higher tolerance for heat, but then who wants or needs to cook with a 2000 degree flame? Heck, burning alcohol in aluminum stoves is actually way to hot for virtually any recipe that isn't water based. Aluminum also conducts heat better than titanium.

For cups, spoons and cook sets aluminum is lighter, plenty durable and more cost effective.
Stainless steel is even more durable than aluminum and conducts heat better than titanium, but weighs more.

As for size, well it really depends on the application. I all you really need is something to boil 2 cups of water then you can get away with a very, very small alcohol stove.

But none of that keeps titanium products from selling. It's a niche market. But a profitable one.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:24 am

I'd still rather spend the buck and a half(plus sales tax)..even if I have to strain under carrying the extra weight of $78 in dollar bills... ;)
JR,I do require at least stainless steel for some of my trips because of the dry baking and excessive heat.Aluminum has warped badly for me in the past.For most people.. and if I don't plan on "a baking portion" during a trip,aluminum pots work fine for me,but most of the time I do carry stainless.
A couple of the super thin lightweight stainless pots I use sometimes do a lot of popping and groaning at times :shock: ..but always return to their original shape after getting red hot.
I haven't tried dry baking in the titanium pots I have but figure they would probably do okay.
I'm not trying to make any points..just stating personal preferences and why... :roll: My aluminum stoves/windscreens seem to hold up okay...even with some pretty intense heat at times.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JollyRogers

Postby JollyRogers » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:14 am

I agree completely, I was just making the point that you can cover all of your needs with aluminum and stainless steel at a fraction of the cost of titanium. (Lets not forget heat resistant plastics and silicones as well.) ;)

But titanium has the reputation of being bullet-proof and ultra-lightweight, and deservedly so. I just think it seems a bit over-the-top for the needs of a cook set in both price and durability.
I wold much rather save the money on cooking gear and put it into durable, light weight/waterproof fabrics. Be it in the form of tents, sleeping bags or clothing.

I would consider spending extra for titanium in things like tent stoves/heaters, or say climbing gear such as crampons, anchor bolts and belay devices.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:04 pm

I need to retire from stove making so I can get some sewing time in. :o

It's a funny thing..........I have this uncanny want of burning wood that is vertical stacked and top lit. :lol: I know it has nothing to do with sewing or gear but I thought I'd interject that here................weird, yes :lol:

I did do some sewing on the Frost Grabber, I'm so proud!!!!!! Next week I'll test it ;)

Thanks everyone for your input.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:45 pm

Got a message from Don of Fourdogstove. He is emphatic that the LT1 can boil 2 cups of water with 1 ounce of kiln dried pine. Being the lover of woodstoves I had to go out and try 1 ounce of the kiln dried pine clothes pins. I'm a sucker for stove testing :o

Note the steel plate under the stoves. That will be used in my further testing of the Bushbuddy and the bushcooker. I notice the bushcooker was possibly getting a much better draft because it was overlapping the crack between the bricks. We'll have to test under different conditions.

Here is the result of todays test:

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:25 pm

So in this video neither stove got to boiling, correct? The small Woodgaz got slightly higher in temp but never to boiling.

Interesting. Do you think the issue was just not enough fuel? I believe the wood stove shootout vids has this stove and it did make boil. Interesting stuff.

sudden

Postby sudden » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:33 pm

JBRanger wrote:So in this video neither stove got to boiling, correct? The small Woodgaz got slightly higher in temp but never to boiling.

Interesting. Do you think the issue was just not enough fuel? I believe the wood stove shootout vids has this stove and it did make boil. Interesting stuff.

Ambient temperature, water temperature, species of pine? Who knows.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Return to “Stove Testing and Reviews”