Bushcooker Lt1 solo

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
ConnieD

Re: Bushcooker Lt1 solo

Postby ConnieD » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:42 pm

Kiln-dried pine, sold at lumber yards, has a specific range of moisture ocontent.

In addition, the wood in a lumber yard is likely more dense (higher grade) than clothespins.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:19 pm

The wood seems to be of equal density/composition. I look at stoves a vessel/container for fuel. Light it and let it it do it's thing. Once ounce of fuel can only do so much heating. Same with alcohol. What matters is how the fuel is presented to the bottom of the pot. Distance to pot etc. naturally stove design has a lot to do with how the fuel burns. Lots of oxygen, burns fast. Don, at fourdogstove recommends using 3ml of alcohiol as tinder and to put the pot on as soon as stove is lit. Lots of variables.

All that was needed to make the water boil was 1/4 ounce more fuel as sugested by Don. Just the addition of 3ml of alcohol and putting the pot on right away would have gotten the boil.

Keep in mind, the Bushcooker is a double wall stove. The woodgas is single. Yes, I'm on a crusade :mrgreen:

n addition, the wood in a lumber yard is likely more dense (higher grade) than clothespins.

Some may prefere to use lumberyard pine for their tests. I chose the pins. As long as they are the same, I'm ok with that. No cutting for me to do, I like easy :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:23 pm

Well, more dense wood should burn hotter, but who has kiln-dried lumber yard pine boards cut up for backpacking?

...a single-wall crusade?

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:26 pm

In the UK they use wood pellets in their wood stoves. Clothes pins are oversized wood pellets :lol:

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:27 pm

wood pellets, amazes me even more.

I would think alcohol is a more lightweight carry.

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:16 pm

just one limb..... :geek:

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:41 pm

...not even that, for me.

I don't think they have anything available.

I think they have destroyed their forests "over there".

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:52 pm

Maybe they burn "peat" maybe. Don't know if they still have bogs. Maybe those are depleted also.

JollyRogers

Postby JollyRogers » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:13 pm

zelph wrote:The wood seems to be of equal density/composition. I look at stoves a vessel/container for fuel. Light it and let it it do it's thing. Once ounce of fuel can only do so much heating. Same with alcohol. What matters is how the fuel is presented to the bottom of the pot. Distance to pot etc. naturally stove design has a lot to do with how the fuel burns. Lots of oxygen, burns fast. Don, at fourdogstove recommends using 3ml of alcohiol as tinder and to put the pot on as soon as stove is lit. Lots of variables.

All that was needed to make the water boil was 1/4 ounce more fuel as sugested by Don. Just the addition of 3ml of alcohol and putting the pot on right away would have gotten the boil.

Keep in mind, the Bushcooker is a double wall stove. The woodgas is single. Yes, I'm on a crusade :mrgreen:

n addition, the wood in a lumber yard is likely more dense (higher grade) than clothespins.

Some may prefere to use lumberyard pine for their tests. I chose the pins. As long as they are the same, I'm ok with that. No cutting for me to do, I like easy :D

As am I. My original wood stove was of a thicker material and had round holes similar to other wood stoves, but is smoked more than I liked. So after a lot of modifications and a lot of burning wood in my garage I came up with the Rook stove which is also single walled. It is also 1 piece with no moving parts, and nothing to lose. All of the work is done by the venting.
Frankly, I never boil just 2 cups of water. I want something to drink as well as a meal. I can pack the Rook stove vertically and burn it for over 1/2 hour without refueling. I did a burn test with partially frozen water this weekend when it was 34 degrees and windy out and I had a 2 cup boil in 8 minutes.

After over an hour of constant burn (adding fuel as needed) this is what was left over:Image

Judging from what I have seen, the double walled stoves just don't make enough difference to me to justify their cost.

Zelph's stove has the added benefit of being able to fold down small which is another huge feature. You can't do that with a double walled stove.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:18 pm

Burning wood is my goto way to cook. Love the smell of a campfire.

Return to “Stove Testing and Reviews”