Jetboil SOL Titanium Cold Weather FAILURE!!!

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
ConnieD

Re: Jetboil SOL Titanium Cold Weather FAILURE!!!

Postby ConnieD » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:48 pm

Connie, that thread was officially deleted and is not available to anyone.

I am glad to hear it wasn't just me.

I don't know who David Lantz is, or, where that quote appears??? I don't "blame" Ryan Jordan.

That guy, I refer to, has a YouTube account. I suspect advertising dollars from the YouTube account.

He made a personal attack, and then, wrote "No offense meant by that".

I keep threads in .mht archive, until I move on to something else, because I use a screenreader.

I know I didn't like the premise: a thread about modifications, then "discredit" a brand name not offering written "feedback" and the product for their examination to either improve the product, or, remove it from the market, if defective, while providing insufficient information in fact, and then, refusing to answer questions, some indirect questions on the thread, and, some direct questions on the thread. Then, he moved on to making a personal attack.

The thread was never about him. The thread "belongs" to the OP (original post) question about modifying the JetBoil.

In fact that may be "too kind".
The OP asked,
I see there's a bunch of jetboil hacks out there, but has anyone successfully removed that orange plasticky thing from the stove portion of the jetboil sol ti? (sic: in bold, added)

If I were an advertiser, I would find the thread more than objectionable.

I hope this thread stays up - because the JetBoil name has been smeared.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:01 pm

I found that thread.
As a jetboil owner and user, I get to comment on this whole mess.
1. If you use it for other than boiling water, you made your own mess. I'm pretty sure that's what "jetboil" refers to.
2. Don't blame a good product made by a good company for your own stupidity. Kind of like taking Ford to court because you drove one off into the lake and it didn't float.

I like this comment.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:35 am

I looked at his other YouTube video about his creamed corn chowder in his JetBoil.

I put a comment on his YouTube FAIL video, asking if that was where the damage to the FluxRing started.

The JetBoil Manual specifically states if you burn food in the JetBoil it will damage the FluxRing.

FYI: I have owned a JetBoil from the beginning. I also have the .8 L titanium Companion Cup for my Jetboil.

I am aware of the regulator feature, in the JetBoil.

I have the SOTO OD-1R with the regulator feature, I defended against BPL Forum snide remarks.

I intensely dislike snobbery, snide remarks, and lies. But I dislike arrogance and stupidy more.

If a person purchases a product, they should know what it is, and, is not.

I don't defend ignorant consumers or ignorance. I do think a manufacturer, however, should do their best to protect unimformed consumers. I sent an email to JetBoil making constructive suggestions for their printed materials.

I especially dislike that man who modified his, and, also attacked JetBoil without making "constructive criticisms".

He proceeded to talk about warranty, no one who makes modifications has a right to expect.

Furthermore, the modifications he described were reckless meddling on his own responsibility.

Furthermore, his knowledge of the limitations of design is, apparently, non-existent with regard to the JetBoil, and yet, he acts like he is a "guru".

I don't respect him at all. Nevertheless, I think my comments showed restraint. Perhaps he has constructive contributions in other areas of interest to backpackers.

My interest is not him. He is in a niche market. JetBoil was not made for UL/SUL/XUL.

My interest is seeing good products brought to market, and, being available to the rest of us.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:48 pm

Looks like the JB is only good for heating water or have the heat setting on lowlow to insure a no burn of food on bottom, whick equates to a long long time to heat your meal. No one is in a hurry to eat anyway ;)
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:38 pm

You know, I am passionate about this subject.

Excerpt from my second follow-up email to JetBoil Customer Service:
In any event, I do think Jet Boil should "emphasize" the Jet Boil is for boiling water FAST, so important in outdoor activities, it "can make the difference" in "keeping warm" and in recovery if chilled to have a hot drink.

I do a lot of outdoor activities, and, I have been associated with Mountain Rescue enough to know 40-50 F weather is where most hypothermia - "death by exposure" happens to the inexperienced and heedless.

I consider the Jet Boil "a great innovation".

Nevertheless, I do think the online Manual is "weak" in pointing out it is okay to heat food in the Jet Boil on a low setting. In the real world, outdoors, I have almost never had my Jet Boil hold a low setting: the flame blows out in a slight breeze.

I think it is better to say you can have "hot water fast".

For hot cocoa, add-hot-water soup, and add-hot-water meals.

I have add-hot-water soups from PackIt Gourmet, for example.

In fact, I would partner with the specialty backpacking suppliers and the TrailCooking.com website for example for advertising the Jet Boil for "hot water fast". (bold print and typefont size emphasis added)

I can have a hot meal fast, if I use http://www.TrailCooking.com technique.

I evaluate add-hot-water powdered soups, dry soups and full meals for fastest rehydration time for my "warm-up right now food items" and "warm-up right now meals" and "warm up right now hot drinks".

I really think JetBoil should change the emphasis of their advertising, the words and (do not) symbols on their box, their "hang tag" on the product, and, in their Manual.

I provided examples.

I also suggested JetBoil offer aluminum Companion Cup and aluminum FluxRing exchange model JetBoil for "returns" "until this is sorted out".

It is very high risk to get any burns, far away from help, during outdoors activities. I also pointed that out, with my remarks.

I like JetBoil. I also want it safe to use, by uninformed consumers, who never had to prime a white gas stove. :o

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:13 pm

I'm sure Jet Boil has their ends covered ;)

HJ has alerted enough folks out there with his heads up thread.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:19 am

I don't think JetBoil will reply direct to me: I made suggestions, but I said I am happy with my JetBoil .8 L Titanium Companion Cup I addded to my original JetBoil.

(I do think the original JetBoil is too deep (need a long-handled spoon) and the .8 L is more manageable for use. I didn't write that.)

I said, I felt the Manual instructions were "weak" for saying you can cook food on a low setting, when, in the real world (outdoors) the low flame blows out.

I suggested JetBoil emphasize the JetBoil is for hot water right now, on the box, on the hang tag, and, in the Manual, plus in all their advertising, their own YouTube videos, etc.

I also suggested the list of "don't's" be more prominent, in bold face type and use the international orange symbol of a circle-diagonal slash: Do not overfill. Do not use a windscreen. Do not modify.

If you do it invalidates the warranty and puts you at risk, that all stoves have inherent risk, and, burns can be a serious health risk. In other works, prominent legal-speak.

Meanwhile, emphasize the JetBoil is for hot water right now: show people adding cocoa to hot water, cradling the hot cup with their hands, looking relieved to "warm up" in the snow. Like that.

I said, I think all their advertising should emphasize that because a "warm up" is so important for outdoor activities.

I said, basically, emphasize your strength: Do not try to "sell" the product for what it is not.

The Companion Cup is not for food. The frying pan is for food.

Show "happy campers" using the frying pan and the cooking pot for making food. Explain any pan will work with the pan adapter.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:48 am

All stoves work well on a picnic table, on a warm,calm summer day.

Opps56 might not agree with me if a "penny" stove was used :mrgreen:

Connie, thanks for trying the contact with Jetboil ;)

oops56

Postby oops56 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:34 am

zelph wrote:All stoves work well on a picnic table, on a warm,calm summer day.

Opps56 might not agree with me if a "penny" stove was used :mrgreen:

Connie, thanks for trying the contact with Jetboil ;)

a penny stove dam i just got up looking for the hammer :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:14 am

I got through to JetBoil.

I do not expect a reply because I said I am happy with my JetBoil.

Return to “Stove Testing and Reviews”