SS Starlyte Stove

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
Ridgerunner

SS Starlyte Stove

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:37 pm

Test done in controlled enviroment. All test performed with 1/2 ounce of Sunnyside Denatured Alcohol w/less than 4% Methanol. Room temperature 75 degrees and 2 cups of water with a temperature of 62 degrees.

Test #1 using a Heine Pot

Start of boil(lots of tiny bubbles) 19:25
Rapid Boil 20:48
Flame out 24:30

Test #2

Start of boil 19:25
Rapid boil 20:50
Flame out 24:26

At this point, I'm scratching my head. The integrated pot stand goes up inside the Heine base not allowing the flame to blume and did not come up the sides of the pot as it should so I used another potstand which gave it probably 1 1/4 inch clearance to the base(outer rim) of the pot.

Test #3

Start of tiny boil 7:50
Flame out 9:27
Never reached hard boil

I'm more befuddled so I did a fourth test using a WallyWorld grease pot with the incorporated stand.

Test #4

Start of boil at 11:40
Hard Rapid boil at 12:20
Flame out at 16:52 of which the last minute was flickering.

Two thoughts!

1) I wonder if the ss screen weave is too tight
2) I have to wonder if the denatured alcohol is going bad. I've only had the gallon for a few months. I have a couple different brands of gasline antifreeze(not heet) that i might give a try to see if the results improve.

Test #5 Used Wallyworld grease pot and 1/2 ounce of Snap fuel line antifreeze.

soft boil (tiny bubbles) 11:52
flame out 14:28
no hard vigorous boil

For my own piece of mind, I got out one of my penny stoves and used 1/2 ounce of denatured alky
Roaring boil at 5:45---go figure.

How have your test run on the new stove Zelph?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

oops56

Re: SS Starlyte Stove

Post by oops56 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:19 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Test done in controlled enviroment. All test performed with 1/2 ounce of Sunnyside Denatured Alcohol w/less than 4% Methanol. Room temperature 75 degrees and 2 cups of water with a temperature of 62 degrees.

Test #1 using a Heine Pot

Start of boil(lots of tiny bubbles) 19:25
Rapid Boil 20:48
Flame out 24:30

Test #2

Start of boil 19:25
Rapid boil 20:50
Flame out 24:26

At this point, I'm scratching my head. The integrated pot stand goes up inside the Heine base not allowing the flame to blume and did not come up the sides of the pot as it should so I used another potstand which gave it probably 1 1/4 inch clearance to the base(outer rim) of the pot.

Test #3

Start of tiny boil 7:50
Flame out 9:27
Never reached hard boil

I'm more befuddled so I did a fourth test using a WallyWorld grease pot with the incorporated stand.

Test #4

Start of boil at 11:40
Hard Rapid boil at 12:20
Flame out at 16:52 of which the last minute was flickering.

Two thoughts!

1) I wonder if the ss screen weave is too tight
2) I have to wonder if the denatured alcohol is going bad. I've only had the gallon for a few months. I have a couple different brands of gasline antifreeze(not heet) that i might give a try to see if the results improve.

Test #5 Used Wallyworld grease pot and 1/2 ounce of Snap fuel line antifreeze.

soft boil (tiny bubbles) 11:52
flame out 14:28
no hard vigorous boil

For my own piece of mind, I got out one of my penny stoves and used 1/2 ounce of denatured alky
Roaring boil at 5:45---go figure.

How have your test run on the new stove Zelph?
Ridgerunner get to the library see mine works real good the tiki stove
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:19 am

Ridgerunner get to the library see mine works real good the tiki stove
Will do, Oops. I can only get on at home early in the morning at a very slow speed :x I have the phone man coming today so hopefully i will be able to at least get on any time. :roll:

I went to Wallyworld last night and bought a 4 pack of Heet. Did one more test on the SS Starlyte using the Grease Pot. The stove started to flicker out at 13:30 with no boil. I don't understand it. It looked good the first time I fired it up out of the package with no pot on top. :roll: Has anyone else run any test on this stove?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:38 am

I'm scratching my head and am more befuddled than you Ridgerunner.

I could pull a billinmt/tinny on you and say you have tainted fuel :lol: :lol:

Let me go back to my notes and see what the conditions were when I put the ss mesh through it's tests. Do me a flavor, put the ss StarLyte next to a piece of ss globe material to give me a visual of the meshes next to each other for threads per inch comparison.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:59 pm

Test done in controlled enviroment. All test performed with 1/2 ounce of Sunnyside Denatured Alcohol w/less than 4% Methanol. Room temperature 75 degrees and 2 cups of water with a temperature of 62 degrees.
I checked my notes.

All testing was done with my 2.5 cup aluminum pot. The one with the handy bail for picking it up when the pot is hot.

All testing was done under optimum conditions.(kitchen, when my wife was not home)

72 degree air temp

2 cups@ water at 70 degrees

1/2 ounce denatured alcohol for fuel

Average boil time was around 8 min. (7.5 up to 9.5) air currents created by walking and open windows had an influence I'm sure.

Today I used a Heineken pot for 3 tests under optimum conditions as stated above.

Did not acheive a boil with 1/2 ounce of denatured. Water temp rose to 205 then flame started to subside.

Did another 3 tests and increased the amount of fuel to 16ml of denatured. Acheived boil all three tests. Boils occured around 10.5 to 11.00 min.

Because the potstand goes into the recessed bottom of the Heiny pot it burns slower(less oxygen?) The burner to pot bottom distance changes. (very important) I have found that the slower the heating process, the harder it is to acheive a boil. I know Tony gets better results but so far I've not been able to. Maybe using my 2.5 alluminum pot and a stove with a small flame output and windscreen.

Ridgerunner, your starting water temperature is said to be 62 degrees. That and using a Heineken pot will account for your results.

Your penny stove did well.

The SS StarLyte UltraLyte takes longer to acheive a boil with the stainless steel screen as compared to the fiberglass cloth. That is good according to Sgt. Rock and Tony. Slower is better. The stove boils 2 cups with 1/2 ounce denatured alcohol under optimum conditions and that is good.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:26 pm

we've mentioned this before;
some open top burners don't like the heiney-pot. the concave bottom of the pot creates a turbulance that messes with the flame. i've had way better results with a flat bottomed pot over my screen topped burners.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

oops56

Post by oops56 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:22 pm

Boy am i going to get cut down on this i cant see what so big deal with a heineken pot.A good ss pot or alum. pot 5 or 6 in. well out do a heine. plus do more can dig a hole for you out house.Can put coals round it do lot lots more.And on this note i have not had a beer in 3 years so i will have one now been in fridge that long cheers.
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:08 pm

The only thing the Heineken Pot is good for is the Ring Of Fire stove. :mrgreen:

I think it's funny how it gets wrapped with heavy fiberglass wick by some so they can pick it up :roll:

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:17 pm

zelph wrote:The only thing the Heineken Pot is good for is the Ring Of Fire stove. :mrgreen:

I think it's funny how it gets wrapped with heavy fiberglass wick by some so they can pick it up :roll:
i disagree sir Z. ;) it also works very well with the Fancee Feest. also, the Jolgia is undisturbed by the disturbing turbulence.

that's not funny. it's hilarious
:lol:
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:26 pm

DarenN wrote:
zelph wrote:The only thing the Heineken Pot is good for is the Ring Of Fire stove. :mrgreen:

i disagree sir Z. ;) it also works very well with the Fancee Feest. also, the Jolgia is undisturbed by the disturbing turbulence.

that's not funny. it's hilarious
:lol:
I agree about the FF. I suspect it is the only one that feels sure footed when placed on it. It burns nice also. I had to roughen up the four pot support legs of the SS StarLyte where it touches the Heiney so it stays put. Rounded corners to rounded corners makes for a challenge :mrgreen:
the Jolgia is undisturbed by the disturbing turbulence
:lol: :lol: