what happened to the twinkies?

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
irrationalsolutions

what happened to the twinkies?

Postby irrationalsolutions » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:30 am

to start with i had my first teinkie about 2 years ago. it was raining cats and dogs for about a week and the wife said that she wanted something sweet to eat. so i got up and looked to see what we had. we had nothing so i found a old recipe i have for peanut butter no-bake cookies. well we didnt have everything that it called for either so we ended up with peanut butter fudge. that wasnt what she wanted either so i told her to go get something.

at that point she said she wanted twinkies. that is when she found out that i had never had one. that was all it took. she was up and back from the store before i knew what was going on. i wasnt sure about it at first but she talked me into eating one.

9 boxes and two weeks later i had enough for a little while. those things are great! well after that many i really didnt want one again for a little while and i needed to work off the ones i had eaten. then earlier today she said something about a twinkie again. again that is all it took. i was off this time. ive only had two. so im doing good.

now all that was to say this...

what happened to the twinkie. when i was a kid i remember twinkies being everywhere you turned around. they were out as soon as you walked into any store that sold food and all over tv. now they are a little hard to find and when was the last time you heard the cockroach, twinkie, keith richards joke? they say the kids now are over weight but i dont think its the twinkies fault.

another thought... what happened to my favorite candy bar, the mars bar?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

oops56

Re: what happened to the twinkies?

Postby oops56 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:40 am

irrationalsolutions wrote:to start with i had my first teinkie about 2 years ago. it was raining cats and dogs for about a week and the wife said that she wanted something sweet to eat. so i got up and looked to see what we had. we had nothing so i found a old recipe i have for peanut butter no-bake cookies. well we didnt have everything that it called for either so we ended up with peanut butter fudge. that wasnt what she wanted either so i told her to go get something.

at that point she said she wanted twinkies. that is when she found out that i had never had one. that was all it took. she was up and back from the store before i knew what was going on. i wasnt sure about it at first but she talked me into eating one.

9 boxes and two weeks later i had enough for a little while. those things are great! well after that many i really didnt want one again for a little while and i needed to work off the ones i had eaten. then earlier today she said something about a twinkie again. again that is all it took. i was off this time. ive only had two. so im doing good.

now all that was to say this...

what happened to the twinkie. when i was a kid i remember twinkies being everywhere you turned around. they were out as soon as you walked into any store that sold food and all over tv. now they are a little hard to find and when was the last time you heard the cockroach, twinkie, keith richards joke? they say the kids now are over weight but i dont think its the twinkies fault.

another thought... what happened to my favorite candy bar, the mars bar?

Why you doing this to me mars bars was a 5 cents no cant find one now hey that gives me something to do on my day off :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

rik_uk3

Postby rik_uk3 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:32 am

I asked an American mate from New Jersey about Twinkies and he send be a case :shock: Not bad at all. Mars bars are very popular in the UK, bite size, standard size and king size, so we brits are doing our bit to keep the brand going :)
Richard
South Wales
UK

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:47 am

rik_uk3 wrote:I asked an American mate from New Jersey about Twinkies and he send be a case :shock: Not bad at all. Mars bars are very popular in the UK, bite size, standard size and king size, so we brits are doing our bit to keep the brand going :)

Look what google came up with:

UK Mars Bar
In 1932, Forrest Mars, estranged son of American candy maker Frank Mars, rented a factory in Slough and with a staff of twelve people began manufacturing a kind of chocolate bar that had not been seen before in the UK. At that time most chocolate was simply a solid block, whereas the Mars Bar consisted of nougat and caramel covered in milk chocolate. It was modelled after his father's Milky Way bar, which was already popular in the US.[3] Today the basic recipe is unaltered but the size of the bar and the proportions of the main components have changed over the years.

In 2002, the UK Mars Bar was reformulated and repackaged.[4] The nougat was made lighter, the chocolate on top became noticeably thinner, and the overall weight of the bar was reduced slightly. The packaging was also redesigned with a less-bold and more cursive logo.

The famous slogan "A Mars a day helps you work, rest and play" was written by William Dagnall as a competition tie breaker in 1966.[5] This was replaced with "Pleasure you can't measure", a re-branding intended to appeal to a more feminine, youthful market. [6]

Various sizes are made: miniature bars called "FUN SIZE" (19.7 gram); "Snack Time" (36.5 gram) which is sold in multiple packs; a larger multi-pack size of 54 gram, the regular sized single 62.5 gram bar (which seems to have again been stealthily reduced in size to 58 gram, without any price drop. Jan 2009); and a "Kingsize" 84 gram bar which has since been replaced by "Mars Duo" (91 gram) this is a pack that contains 2 smaller bars instead of 1 large one. The regular 62.5 gram single bar contains 284 calories. (Now 58 gram containing 259 calories.)

In the UK, most Mars Bars are still made at the Slough Trading Estate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Bar

I've seen on tv food shows where they deep fry twinkies and they sure do look yummy :D

9 boxes and two weeks later

Pigging out on twinkies, see what you missed out on when you were a kid :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

rik_uk3

Postby rik_uk3 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:18 am

I went to a Boy's School next to the Cadbury chocolate factory in Birmingham England, in the summer when the windows were open, the whole School was filled with the aroma of chocolate (if the wind was in the right direction). This pretty much killed the desire for chocolate back then:(

The Cadbury family were interesting and did a lot for their workers

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/REcadbury.htm

One thing that was insisted upon certainly up until the 70's was that the front garden of homes were kept in flower and half of the rear garden used to grow vegetables.
Richard
South Wales
UK

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:35 am

:lol: Okay..1950s':Hostess cupcakes,ding-dongs,snowballs,ho-hos,almond joy,mounds,payday,snickers,idaho spud,mello,junior mints,milk duds,look,mountain bars,cherry mountain bars,cup o gold,o henry,tootsie rolls,million dollar bar,twix,mars,snickers,milky way,3 musketeers,u no,red vines,pez.... :DB: :DB:

I had a VERY fulfilled childhood..It's a wonder I still have teeth! :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:42 pm

rik_uk3 wrote:whole School was filled with the aroma of chocolate (if the wind was in the right direction). This pretty much killed the desire for chocolate back then:(

The Cadbury family were interesting and did a lot for their workers

Interesting that he built homes for his workers. Fringe benefits :D

3) George Cadbury, interviewed by Bishop Gore

I have for many years given practically the whole of my income for charitable purposes, except what is spent upon my family. Nearly all my money is invested in businesses in which I believe I can truly say the first thought of the welfare of the work people employed

I'm impressed by his generosity. Very interesting family.

It's interesting how the smell of cocoa can get overwhelming and make you not want chocolate.

idaho spud,u no,red vines

Those I have not heard of :o The others I know well :mrgreen:

Now we know how the brits got their kids to pay attention in school, bribery :mrgreen:

I think I see Realityguy in the background in this photo:

He's the last one out, teachers pet :roll: he got 2 Cadbury bars :P

rik_uk3

Postby rik_uk3 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:25 pm

The Cadbury family were Quackers and at the time a fantastic firm to work for, well ahead of the day in terms of worker benefit.

There were other people doing similar things

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Sunlight

Think what people like Bill Gates could do now :oops:
Richard
South Wales
UK

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:56 pm

rik_uk3 wrote:Think what people like Bill Gates could do now :oops:

He's trying to make up for lost time. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_and_M ... Foundation

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:22 pm

realityguy wrote::lol: Okay..1950s':Hostess cupcakes,ding-dongs,snowballs,ho-hos,almond joy,mounds,payday,snickers,idaho spud,mello,junior mints,milk duds,look,mountain bars,cherry mountain bars,cup o gold,o henry,tootsie rolls,million dollar bar,twix,mars,snickers,milky way,3 musketeers,u no,red vines,pez.... :DB: :DB:

I had a VERY fulfilled childhood..It's a wonder I still have teeth! :mrgreen:

I don't remember mountain bars or the cherry ones. We had the Reece cups and York Patties, Mr. Good Bars, Zero Bars, Zagnuts. One of my favorite is the Bun maple candy bar(hard to find). Banana flips. Hershey's with almonds was a staple. My dentist made a fortune off of me. And now, they are coming out with more and more DARK chocolate bars. Hardly a day goes by without chocolate in some form or another. The wife goes for the m&m's.

I wonder why they never made CHOCOLATE Twinkies ???????
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Just For The Fun Of It”