35 miles of day hikes in Olympic National Park...

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
zelph

Re: 35 miles of day hikes in Olympic National Park...

Post by zelph » Mon May 17, 2010 11:08 am

ConnieD wrote:Did you see that TiGoat 2010 Vortex Cylinder Stove titanium wood stove? Link in my post above.

It's pricey, and he is always "sold out".
Yes, I saw that and wonder how it can be that they make such a claim:
and it puts out more heat than stoves twice its size.
How is it that they can make that claim??????????

Bahhhhh Humbug :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Mon May 17, 2010 2:27 pm

zelph wrote:
How is it that they can make that claim??????????
erroneously? ;)
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon May 17, 2010 2:40 pm

They can say whatever they want..... until someone proves otherwise,takes them to court about it,etc..etc..... ;) ..Are you questioning their integrity? :o
If you don't believe their validity..ask them how they know that..see if you get a response and report back please...

:roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon May 17, 2010 6:37 pm

I was hoping to get an engineers point of view :D

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Mon May 17, 2010 8:00 pm

zelph wrote:I was hoping to get an engineers point of view :D
how about a wood-stovies point of view?
wood has a given BTU Potential, and no stove is going to change that. however, one stove design may release those BTUs faster than another. we all know that slower is more efficient in alcohol stoves, and the same holds true for wood stoves used for heating. for instance; at night you load your air-tight as full as you can get it on a hot bed of coals and close the air intake. in the morning there are still live coals in the stove and your shack is still warm. even the slightest air leak and that full load would have been burned up in the first couple of hours. how much heat do you need to pour into a teepee how quickly? i'll bet a 6x6x6 twig stove could keep a two-man tent nice and toasty. another Titanium money-grab.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon May 17, 2010 10:51 pm

Appears I should have hired a cat-herder to keep tabs on my thread... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Frankly I don't give a damn. :lol: .but it might be hard to find this discussion later... ;)
You may want to move a portion of it to its own thread with an appropriate heading...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon May 17, 2010 11:12 pm

realityguy wrote:Appears I should have hired a cat-herder to keep tabs on my thread... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Frankly I don't give a damn. :lol: .but it might be hard to find this discussion later... ;)
You may want to move a portion of it to its own thread with an appropriate heading...
Your right Cuz, this thread went off on a lot of tangents! :lol: When I want to find something, I just plug in the appropriate words in the search box above. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

How about: tents and tent stoves?

Post by ConnieD » Tue May 18, 2010 12:30 am

I think his claim is about the heat transference from the titanium stove pipe.

Titanium does not hold onto the heat, like a steel stovepipe, thus, steel runs more heat out the stack.

Howzat?

I posted the stove, because it is titanium. Yeah! and because it is lightweight. Yeah!

And, I forgot. Oh, yeah, it is interesting and lightweight.

So there, naysayers.
DarenN, 6x6x6 twig stove
I think it is not much bigger than that: looks like a Grease pot is on the stove.

I have a steel "ice house" wood stove. I have to have the windows open in a 16' travel trailer, in Montana winter.

I have wood stove door gasket material around the door of my "ice house" wood stove: a few twigs, a piece of bark, and it is roasting me medium-rare.

I don't know how you could make a portable "take-down" wood stove air-tight.

DarenN

Re: How about: tents and tent stoves?

Post by DarenN » Tue May 18, 2010 2:13 am

ConnieD wrote:I don't know how you could make a portable "take-down" wood stove air-tight.
i do! ;)
think "Kifaru" but with additions to the way it is assembled, and gaskets everywhere.

in reality, it wouldn't be practical, and would be very expensive to produce. i won't bother; it was a paper exercize only.
i was thinking more along the lines of an open woodstove, like a rocket, with a steap taper on the bottom of the chimney suspended just above the stove to collect the smoke. maybe some kind of damper in the chimney pipe to hold in a bit more heat. it wouldn't burn all night but you wouldn't need it if you had the proper winter sleeping gear. set up the teepee floor plan so that you could light the stove in the morning without getting out of your bag.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue May 18, 2010 11:29 am

realityguy wrote:Appears I should have hired a cat-herder to keep tabs on my thread... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well it's like this neighbor...........you invited us over to share your 35 miles in the Olympic National Park. We're just sitting around sharing some thoughts on how you might have a better time on your next 35 miles. You know......the kind of trek poles you may need, tent with stove, net trash bag to haul buoys off the beach..........we like your hospitality, give us some time to get used to it. :lol: Meanwhile just sit back and enjoy the conversations :mrgreen: