35 miles of day hikes in Olympic National Park...

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
realityguy

Re: 35 miles of day hikes in Olympic National Park...

Post by realityguy » Tue May 18, 2010 11:48 am

Meanwhile just sit back and enjoy the conversations :mrgreen:
Just make sure you leave me a few beers when you go.. :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue May 18, 2010 12:29 pm

realityguy wrote:
Meanwhile just sit back and enjoy the conversations :mrgreen:
Just make sure you leave me a few beers when you go.. :mrgreen:

Yes, in a glass.............I'll be taking the aluminum bottles with me :P and maybe one of your tents 8-)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue May 18, 2010 1:13 pm

I see you don't normally drink beer around my places..bottles only and not aluminum..the GOOD beer doesn't come in aluminum... ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Tue May 18, 2010 2:08 pm

Since I asked what "you-all" think of that TiGoat stove, I think, I will ask him if there are gaskets: is it air-tight?

I think I could backpack that stove and that tipi. Maybe I could use the shortcut thru the Quinault reservation?

By the way, I have hiked Lake Ozette trail out to "the beach" and all the way down the beach past Johnson Point to LaPush.

It was our "spring break". I don't recommend the hike. It is a miracle (I prayed, and the tide turned) we were not killed by driftwood logs tossed up in the waves during a storm, at night, while trapped by the incoming tide. The water lapped at the foot of our bivy sleeping bags, with knees drawn up. Next: We were almost killed by the undertow so powerful the rocks on the beach roared out the beach and up the beach. Earlier: It almost ended tragically for one girl who, hopping slimy boulders, fell off conking her skull on the boulder. We had to evacuate her, treating the head wound with small butterfly bandages and treating her for shock: 18 stitches. Oh yeah, great memories! We all played "french horn" (I got three "notes" and melody) out of bulb seaweed we found at Johnson Point. The beachcombers, for floats, said it sounded like The Second Coming. We were trying for Handle's Messiah.

DO NOT HIKE THIS HIKE! It was a miracle we lived.

I will reserve some Sierra Nevada ipa,for you :oops: for your return trip. The Sierra Nevada ipa "Torpedo" smells and has after-note remininces of pine woods and the odors of the high sierra. Really. The neighbor's son works there.

The neighbor persuaded me to taste it. If I must have beer, I would rather have half-and-half with fish-n-chips in Leithbridge, AB.

However, as I sip my "Made in Oregon" Thomas Kemper Black Cherry soda from a glass bottle and post random thoughts around the Ti-Goat wood stove (very pricey) in my tipi, I would like to have, I am thinking I never buy anything in a can.

My only interest in beverage cans is in can "art" for lovely alcohol stoves. The Starbucks cans are nice looking.

Further ponderings: why does standing in the companionway of a sailboat while the alcohol cooker is in use make me nauseous and a Zelph backpacking alcohol Super Stove and inside-out stove, so far I have experienced, have no odor?
Last edited by ConnieD on Tue May 18, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 12 times in total.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue May 18, 2010 2:40 pm

my sailboat had a propane stove/oven. but one of my neihbors had a Bayliner with a two burner alcohol stove. as soon as i looked at the configuration of the burner i could see that it would not let in enough combustion air. making for a very rich, inefficient, burn. on top of that, to adjust the burner you would move a lever that would cut off even more air.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Tue May 18, 2010 2:46 pm

That describes it. The stove efficiency is the problem.
But carbon monoxide is odorless. Is nausea a first symptom?
Maybe they have to put an odor in alcohol for sailboats?
It was a horrible nauseating odor. If "cookie" had the cooker ON, I could not stand in the companionway.
I don't think anything would affect him: he was permanently "pickled".

I do think these tipi stoves are safe, or can be safe.
Look at all the ventilation, and, I know a little wood stove kicks out loads of heat.

Now that I think about it more, I have seen stoves offered that do vent outside the tent.
I have even seen tents with the portals for these-type stoves. I have not seen the stoves.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue May 18, 2010 4:42 pm

on a few occasions i have built alcohol burners that burned too rich. (stovie science, don'tcha know. ;) ) the fumes from the burner would cause eye irritation as well as a nauseous feeling. i burn only Methyl Hydrate. i do all my testing in the house, with no ventilation a lot of times. an efficient burner does not let fumes go un-burned.

if i'm not mistaken, the first symptoms of CO poisoning are headache and nausea.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue May 18, 2010 5:34 pm

There's a couple from Calgary on another website coming in to do the middle section hike of the beach you described,Connie..and want a turnaround partner..but there's also supposed to be 30-40 mile an hour winds and one of the largest storms of the season out on the coast..think I'll pass.I do have an option to hike with a group up there on sunday(somewhere in the park)..so I might go up friday or saturday,then spend sunday with them somewhere..and monday maybe back ay Shi-shi with a wheelbarrow collecting glass floats(hopefully). :mrgreen:
I haven't done the middle section due to a lack of a turnaround partner,but I will knock that one off this summer sometime.
Apparently you didn't do a lot of thinking before you went and timed it totally wrong.I've avoided that section due to the small amount of available campsites,the rough terrain,and overall it doesn't sound like as much fun as the other sections..from others at Ozette that were not doing the top section because of what they encountered there.
I grew up waterfront on PS beaches,hopping seaweedy rocks,and sloped rock bulkheads for the BN railroad so am pretty sure-footed.Boulders and rocky beaches don't bother me,just something that needs to be contended with carefully when the time comes.To do that section Ithink I'll wait for a - 2 tide or below to get more hiking/footstep options.Having spent 10 years in Hawaii also..I respect the ocean and Mother Nature and what she can throw at you. :shock:
i was going to take an overnight at the Chilean Memorial one time but opted for a second trip to Toleak which has better scenery,better beaches,easier walking,and plenty of campsites.I posted on the other board that the couple from Calgary should do more thinking about that stretch instead.Sounds like they are driving in for 3 days and might enjoy that more,especially with the incoming storm.If they can't find a turnaround partner,they want to go in at Rialto,head up for an overnight..head out..then do an overnight at Shi-shi also.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Tue May 18, 2010 7:28 pm

Smart man! Don't get caught in a beach with the incoming tide and a cliff at your back.
Most of that has no trail: the trail fell away from atop the cliffs because the cliffs fell away.
The active erosion is that massive.
You have to get your timing right to get around the next corner and the next.
That and the "tide table" is "not so" on a storm tide.

Rialto Beach, that's the name I was trying so hard to recall.
The japanese ball float collectors were already bagged up when we got up in the morning and walked in from the North.
We were surprised they were there. They were surprised we were there.
We said: Where did you come from? They said, Oh we get up early in the morning. Most were senior citizens!
They said: Where did you come from? We said, From up the beach. Their eyes got wide!

Here is my avatar over at Practical Backpacking.
I said my carried shelter weighed 0 g :mrgreen:
That's me. I was writing: Connie's House.
I have a lot of good memories at Washington State beaches and at Oregon State beaches.
I got razor clams with "Lady of the Beach" from Copalis Beach. I love those wild beaches: Taholah to Ocean Shores.

Our problem was we had to "schedule" it all in Spring Break. That was our first mistake.
Our second mistake was having completely inexperienced college kids along and you cannot tell them anything. The boulders everyone except me and a few others "hopped" were taller than me. Fortunately, I was trained in Mountain Rescue and I knew what to do. As for whole trees and logs in the moonlight tossed about like matchsticks on the incoming waves that lapped on our bivied feet and lower legs and at "the worst" the tide turned, I'd had earlier training in prayer.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue May 18, 2010 8:49 pm

The japanese ball float collectors were already bagged up when we got up in the morning and walked in from the North.
Tell us more about these glass floats that realityguy mentioned first, being that this is his thread and we want to keep on his subjects. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/