Snowing

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
realityguy

Re: Snowing

Post by realityguy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:07 pm

Unfortunately people around the Puget Sound basin get one day a year to practice driving on snow and ice..then forget by the following year.I stay home that day..I'm not stupid.The roads are now pretty clear and the traffic is moving along fine on I-5..The morons said "No way are they going to spend another 10-12 hours on a less than ten mile commute two days in a row!"..and stayed off the roads today for the people that know how to drive on it.
I wish we could give them all signs or "status"..that says if you are deemed as "stupid",you can't drive on the roads during that first day of snow.That would solve everybody else's problem of them being on the road.
What really sucks..Is that every time these idiots get out there and screw up their cars,my insurance goes up the following winter because of it..even though I STAYED HOME THAT DAY.
When I ask my insurance company "why the increase?"..they say "Remember that snow day last year?"..I say "Charge the fricken morons and not the smart people!" :evil: ..doesn't help...GRRRRRR!!! :x
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Bfinnigan

Post by Bfinnigan » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:01 am

I have been into skiing since I was 12 and was driving up to the resorts when I was 16. Then I worked in fire/emergency medical services for 13 years so I learned how to drive in snow. I had to in order to pursue my profession. Not just to get into work but to drive in the stuff for a 24 hr shift. And then to get home without killing myself or anyone else. I had some crazy shifts for sure.

In my profession now I routinely chat with clients about where they were born. It seems 90% are from out of state. That is not a scientific poll but very random. So we have a very large number of people from out of state or even the country. And most of those countries will never see snow and many of their home states never get snow. Most of them never lived in states with steep hills with winding narrow roads. In Western WA it's a bad combination of wet snow, steep hills, ill prepared people and lousy winter drivers. Coupled with the municipal DOT's constantly being caught off guard and not responding fast enough or early enough.

And judging from the high number of abandoned vehicles I'm not sure very many learned enough this year to have anything to forget by next year. :shock:

The only reason I was out on the road is I had a very important doc appt that I could not miss. Turns out it was a wasted trip. Oh well.

The swirling snow last night was kinda cool. My daughter and I were out sledding in it for a 1/2 hr.
Even a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day at the office.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:40 pm

Makes for an interesting day :D did you get the expected 4 inches?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Bfinnigan

Post by Bfinnigan » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:48 pm

We got 5 inches and it dropped down to 8 deg last night.

It's been a couple years since we had these things growing here. Maybe we didn't fertilize them enough last winter. :lol:

Did some night sledding in the blowing snow. My daughter and I are using our lightweight Streamlight Argo HP's we got last summer for some caving. Great little head lamps and some butt kickin' light.

I got some great video of the blowing swirling snow. I uploaded to FaceBook and then lost the original copy so I can't put it on FB.

BTW, if anyone's on FB my name is Brent Finnigan if you want to friend me. I have more pics and projects posted there.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:19 am

You did a great job fertilizing this year

Along with the pretty mountain in the back yard you now have the frosting for the top of it. good thing you have the recent photos of a few days ago as a reminder of what it once was. all you'll see from now is white :shock:

That's an awful bright snowball you threw at your daughter :mrgreen:

Bfinnigan

Post by Bfinnigan » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:44 am

Those are orbs from another dimension attempting to communicate with us. :o I think they were trying to tell us to go inside before we freeze. :o
Last edited by Bfinnigan on Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bfinnigan

Post by Bfinnigan » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:02 am

This was the warm up for the big wind that night. Sideways snow, my favorite :?

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:12 pm

we got hit pretty good on wednesday night. but over the course of thursday it warmed up and turned to rain. by friday morning it pretty much had the roads all clear. just wet.
(on a clear day, i can see Rainier from my deck too ;) )
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:00 pm

Sideways snow, my favorite :?
Mine also...................when I watch from inside my kitchen window. :D