my new backpack

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
ConnieD

Re: my new backpack

Postby ConnieD » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:21 am

Oh, yay! I like that stuff.

I have a sling that runs over both shoulders, the shotgun hangs down the back.There is a thumb grip loop on the sling to bring the shotgun around to firing position. The sling is Mossy Oak Breakup. :lol:

I have a rifle sock for my shotgun. Are there Mossy Oak Breakup shotguns?

If there are, I bet they cost a small fortune.

I have dusted off the pulk, and, it is a little too small to insulate the bottom layer and sleep in it, which is an "idea" I had to get up off the snow.

I got out my snowshoes. I found my -60 F Baffin boots. I found my warm socks and big Black Diamond mittens and gloves. I have longjohns. I was thinking I could go winter camping with my "ice house" wood stove?

If I don't get out there to get some pictures real soon, there might not be snow!

It is 36 F right now (9 PM) and that is too WARM.

cadyak

hiking+hunting=fun

Postby cadyak » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:09 am

There are so many parallels between hunting, hiking, adventure racing, cycling, etc. besides just plain old sweat. To me they are all complementary.
My favorite trips are ones that combine many of my favorite outdoor activities. some of which are sea kayaking-fishing, hiking, bowhunting, and camping. Every December (except this past one) I make the 20 mile paddle in my 20 yr old kayak to Sapelo/Blackbeard Island for what must be now about the 60th annual archery hunt on Blackbeard. (side note: there are a handful of fellows who have been to every hunt since its inception)
The deer arent real big, but they are actually Georgia's only Native deer. It is a management hunt so we are doing them a favor. There are lots of BIG hogs though.
The first year I went I rode over with a group of friends, rented a shuttle, and carried next to everything we owned. Cost me 150$ and it took 2 hours to load and unload the boat (twice). Some guys take their bikes to avoid the 3 mile walk to the other end of the island. Some groups build huge pvc/tarp cities and actually place their tents beneath them. then there are climbing stands, grills, coleman 10 man tents, 100 gal igloo coolers, etc.,
I decided to start travelling a lot lighter: now I paddle out a couple of days early. It might take me 8 -12 hours depending on how the fish are biting or if I throw up the sailrig, but on the morning of the hunt I am at he unloading dock very early and the F&W folks actually hook my boats bow loop over the hitch on the 4 wheeler and pull me over to the camp.
I dont carry a tree stand or even my Treesuit anymore. I hunt on the ground or in one of the many ancient Live Oaks that I can climb. For me it ends up being a 5 day trip.
I have met so many nice folks on this trip. For some crazy reason, even though I have my own food, folks feel sorry for me and want to feed me. I dont complain. :D

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:48 pm

I love kayaking. I don't love portages. I have a nice cart made for overland. But it can only do so much.

I "lighten up" my kayak gear, too.

I feel the same way as you, I think, about all my outdoor activities: they overlap and run together.

I use gear made for different sports and different outdoor activities, mixing and matching, to find the best gear I can. I tend to like lightweight clothing and gear, when I can find it. Believe me, I look hard for that stuff.

I am glad to see you got the wild hog and it wasn't the other way around.

Wild hogs are very very dangerous!

If there are acorns around that part of the country, a roasted wild hog tastes very very good!

Acorns are hazlenuts.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:53 pm

nice looking kayak Cadyak! did you build it yourself? CLC? (i've built about a dozen kayaks and canoes)
i've dragged the whole ultra-light mentality into my kayaking. people are always amazed at how little stuff comes out of my boat.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:21 pm

Pictures, please!

I work very hard to have as little as I can.

DarenN, that is a lot of kayaks.

Factoid: empty my kayak weighs 49 lbs.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:56 pm

I like your kayak, cadyak. Your hog has some real nice markings. Did you shoot it with the recurve?

Yes Connie, there are many shot guns that use MossyOak Breakup and not that expensive. I actually bought a composite stock and forearm in MossyOak Breakup for my Rem 11-87SP. It made the gun lighter and better concealed, in my mind. :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

cadyak

CAD+YAK

Postby cadyak » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:31 pm

Connie,
I am dangerous too! :geek: all of the hogs I have ever seen want to be in the next county as soon as they get a whiff of you. Just keep the wind in your face.
I have taken around 50 hogs and this 25 yard shot was more than twice as far as my longest shot. Shortest? 5 ft. average shot 10 yds from the ground. This is the ONLY hog I have ever shot from above. Sitting in a saddle of a live oak.
Daren,
You know your boats. CLC it is. Cheasapeake, 18ft, 52#.
This was my very first boat and the only one I have left. I built 21 of them (5 CLC's)through the years. (in the 90's) I had my own design feature that I had not seen anywhere else at the time that many people including CLC are using it now. My business was called CADence KAYAKS and to this day it is still my handle...CADYAK.
You live in what I consider to be the kayak capital of the world Daren. It is also a region where not being able to self rescue could cost you your _ _ _.
killer tides, cold water, currents between all of those islands, and of course...rocks. We no have rocks. just sand :D
That being said one day I want to travel to the mecca that is BC.
Are your boats all strip built? I am sure that they are beautiful. It is a lot more "high class" than stitch and glue.
RR,
sure did. 64",58lbs@28". I am hunting with a long bow now but I still love that recurve because it has a longbow grip. I have a fantastic bowyer who is a great friend that lives here in Albany so I am setup for life. ;)
look him up if you ever want to shoot traditional again. His priceas are the lowest I have seen for custom bows. BigJimbowhuntingcompany.com

edited for spelling
Last edited by cadyak on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:11 pm

CADYAK and Daren make life sound so much more interesting :D Quite the craftsmen they are. Hunters and fishermen got the good life. :mrgreen:

I did the hunt long ago. Bear Kodiak magnum recurve was my choice of bow. Always stayed to the ground. All I ever scored was "buck fever" :lol: with rifle, one 4 point buck. Shots???? I had plenty of shots, that's what kept me interested until one day in Wisconsin I got caught in some cross fire. I hit the ground and started yelling while the bullets whistled through the trees above my head. That's the last time I went hunting with rifle up there. :roll: all the dipwads out of chicago come up there and hunt with a snoot full and wonder why the return empty handed :mrgreen:

Thanks for the photos CADYAK. They fit right in with our way of life. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cadyak

Wisconsin

Postby cadyak » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:32 pm

Thanks a lot Zelph.
It does seem a little like madness to only have a week long hunting season in the state that provided the strain of deer that we hunt down here. Man our season goes from sept 15-jan 15. Ill bet it is a little like a war zone. Glad you got out of there intact.
i havent hunted near as much the last few years. My decline started whenever from the tree I hunted I could see the local cycling group go by. Here I am sitting in a tree or on the ground for 4 hours while they are riding. I was losing too much fitness during the season. Now I might hunt 10 times or so for the whole year. The awesome thing about camping/hunting is that when I am totally away from the house, the chances of anything happening to derail the hunt are slim. (such as.."we need milk", or "the dogs need food " ) :roll:

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:17 pm

cadyak,

5' away? They have tusks! They have sharp little feet!

No, thank you!

I am a dead shot, and, apparently I have "nerves of steel" in immediate danger.

Nevertheless, I would rather eat wild boar than hunt wild boar.

AFAIK that goes for all hunting... I would rather eat elk, than hunt elk. I would rather eat pheasant, than hunt pheasant. I like getting out there. I like camping. But I know, for a fact, I cannot eat an entire elk. I can eat an entire pheasant, in one dinner and left-overs...

My elk gun is supposed to get a Mossy Oak Breakup synthetic gun stock mounted.

Thanks to Ridgerunner, I am "working on" getting the Mossy Oak Breakup barrel and the synthetic stock and forearm grip for the shotgun.

Thank you, for starting this increasingly long and tall multi-story thread.

Return to “Just For The Fun Of It”