my new backpack

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
zelph

Re: my new backpack

Postby zelph » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:46 am

Once it's complete, what will you be hunting with it? California has some big mean boar that need to be hunted. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:37 pm

I think all the wild boar in Marin County (California) have been killed:

If I remember correctly, it was open season even providing for hunting at night using a light (which is illegal any other time, in California and in most places I have been) because the "wild boar" were domestic hogs that were feral, by then, and were doing a lot of damage.

Last time, I heard about a California hunt for wild boar it was in the Seven Palms region.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:01 am

ConnieD wrote:I think all the wild boar in Marin County (California) have been killed:

If I remember correctly, it was open season even providing for hunting at night using a light (which is illegal any other time, in California and in most places I have been) because the "wild boar" were domestic hogs that were feral, by then, and were doing a lot of damage.

Last time, I heard about a California hunt for wild boar it was in the Seven Palms region.

Years have gone by fast :roll: times have changed since I've been in the Monterrey area. They really came down hard on the pigs and near wiped them out?

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:27 am

From what I hear from the traditional bowhunting crew California is still "ate up" with hogs. There is a neat new show on TV called "Wild Justice" about the game wardens of California. If I got another chance to go to California, Id probably just have my camera with me. So much to see. ;)
They often talk about how hogs are a very serious problem there. Put it this way, a pig can give birth at 6 months of age.
They will have a litter of up to 15 hogs twice a year until they die. They are the most prolific animal I know of and are practically impossible to get rid of. They can live ANYWHERE. Another thing about cali hogs in general is that they are h-u-g-e.
here is a link to a cali based bowhunting mag.
http://www.relentless365.com/california ... -for-boars
they might think the have wiped them out, but they have probably just moved somewhere else.
if they dont have them yet, just wait. They will be there soon. :)

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:38 pm

i've built them all. i started out building a cedar-strip canoe from plans. seems like a long time ago. ;) i had already started my second canoe before the first was finished. i've built a few stitch-and-glue kayaks of my own design (based on low volume Greenland style kayaks). several Skin-on-Frame kayaks have left my shop as well.
you're right; BC is a paddling Mecca. i've seen some of the most amazing things with my butt floating below the water-line. think killer whales off the port bow. or a huge Humpback ten feet off the starboard side. sure, it can be dangerous on the wild west coast. summer tides can reach as much as 18 feet. when all that water is racing through a small channel you DO NOT wanna be there! the water temp never goes above about 55*F. we dress for immersion. i paddle solo a lot so i practice rolls and self-rescue. i carry all the safety equipment that i could possibly need. i'm a licensed marine radio operator and never leave the beach without my VHF marine radio. even for a two hour tour on the river through the city.
from the west side of Vancouver Island.........

"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:50 pm

How do the pigs taste compared to domestic? Interesting read at the link, makes me want to hunt with a camera from a tree stand :o

Nice warm looking photo Daren thanks :D

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:52 pm

DarenN,

I know I like to hear all I can about kayaking in BC waters, just the names are music to my ears.

I notice the water is so clear, you can see the bottom. Is that woodsmoke of your campfire?

zelph,

The best pork chops I ever had are from McAlpine ranch near here, fed on barley from the field.

The best roast pork I ever had was fire-roasted, on mesquite, "wild boar" fed on acorns.

The Marin County domestic feral "wild hogs" are no more. It was deliberate eradication, and, they were a non-native species. At the time, non-native invasive species was a "big deal".

I attended a public meeting, one time, challenged about non-native species, I said "europeans go home" and those "Marin-ite activists" finally stopped talking about non-native species!

The public meeting was at Point Reyes National Seashore. The Park Ranger slid out of his folding metal chair, he was laughing so hard.

That wasn't so many years ago.

I had attended the meeting because they were talking about "eradicating" kayaks, from Tomales Bay, and, I had just got my kayak.

Some breeds of hogs are naturally huge, Duroc swine are perhaps the largest, and, some breeds of swine are quite small, like the pot-belly swine.

I do think the proliferation of California oak trees has a great deal to do with the "success" of the "wild hogs" in the region.

The acorn-fed hogs are so good, the Portland, Oregon gourmet restaurants advertise hazlenut-fed roast pork on their menu. Even the Oregonian newspaper Food Section and Sunday Supplement has featured recipes for farm raised hazlenut fed hogs.

In California, if you get invited to have roast "wild hog" from a hunt you are in for a treat.

This is better fare than "backstraps" of venison or elk, according to some hunters.

I don't know about that, but fire-roasted meat is always better, in my opinion.

In California, chunks of mesquite and/or mesquite charcoal is burned for grilling meat.

I was told, at a famous grill restaurant, Tadich Grill, in San francisco, the 550 F temperature of a mesquite fire both steams the moisture inside the meat put on the grill, as well as, sears the meat to keep the juices in.

They print their menu every day, because they will only serve the best food available.

At Tadich Grill, I advise holding up the number of fingers, for one or two, etc. and get seats at the counter. In my experience, the best food service is at the counter.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:44 pm

Lots of good information in your post there Connie, thank you. Makes me want to have something roasted over mesquite coals :D

cadyak

BC paddling

Postby cadyak » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:14 pm

that is a lot like I pictured it looking up there Daren.
I guess for that super cold water, tidal currents, and the like you Should be rewarded with all of the best in wildlife viewing. :D
For years and years the bulk of the stories in the "lessons learned" section in sea kayaker mag. dealt with ill-fated trips in the Queen Charlottes, San Juan Islands, etc. (I dont read it anymore)
I forgot that I had seen a picture of one of your skin on frame boats on BPL. A real work of art. Ill bet that it is super light too.
I have some "Bigolefeet" so low volume boats dont work that well for me. They are a lot easier to roll though.
Do you still have your strongbacks?

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:40 pm

the skin-on-frame kayaks weighed in at the 25 pound range. i also built a S&G at 26 pounds (no hatches or bulkheads).
i still have the second strongback i built. a 6 x 6 box beam of 1/2" plywood, 16 feet long.
i have a strip built kayak in the skop that i've been working on, off and on, for over two years. here's a shot of the deck.....

"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Return to “Just For The Fun Of It”