my new backpack

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
Ridgerunner

Re: my new backpack

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:17 pm

OHH, the beauty of wood. Your deck has nice grain symmetry ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:55 pm

all the light colored wood on the deck came from one board.
the interesting bookmatched pattern on the fore deck is from sorta putting the board back together the way it came apart. ;)
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:33 pm

REAL pretty. love the greenland shape. The upturned ends look great for rough water.
Do you cut your own strips? bead and cove?
I am so jealous of your light level in your shop. my eyes are going..... :x
When I was boatbuilding I was doing it in my immense basement in Atlanta. I am in need of shop improvement here.
Last edited by cadyak on Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:31 pm

How do you determine the measurements for someone that wants a custom made kayak. A person that weighs 275 with a waist line of 38" and is 6' 3"

Lets say his weight might be 300. Is there a limit on the persons size for a kayak?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cadyak

kayak

Postby cadyak » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Us bigger fellows typically need a larger volume boat. The higher the freeboard, or the distance between the hull and the deck, the higher the volume and the more weight a boat will carry. It also makes a little more room for large feet. Your feet will rest on a couple of pegs or pedals if you use a rudder. Freeboard is not the only factor, because width/length also play an important part. My 18 ft long old boat is perfect for large people and large loads. Someone 275-300 lbs could easily and comfortably paddle a boat of this size. I forget what my beam is, but it aint skinny. I think its 29".
I am 6'3, 220lbs. A large cockpit is nice too. Mine is keyholed which gives me a little extra room to raise my knees up and stretch the sciatic area which on me hurts after a few hours.

Darens boat shown in his shop has a shape that is designed for performance. Much easier to roll, harder to fall out of, (yes it happens) and certainly faster than mine. Strip built boats such as Darens allow you to create a much more smooth hydrodynamic shape on the hull and increase your secondary stability whereas the hard chines (edges of the hull) on my boat make your initial stability feel more secure. These are generalizations but hold true for most boats in these categories.
Check out the plans or kits at CLCBOATS.com or PYGMYBOATS.com for when your caught up on the stovemaking :D
All this talk of kayaks is about to get me going on boats again. :geek:

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:43 pm

Thank you for that explanation. Now I may consider trying a Kayak come spring/summer after I make my tipi and after I stop making stoves. Making stoves is intruding in to my play time. :o :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Just For The Fun Of It”