Building a ukulele..My first..

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
sudden

Re: Building a ukulele..My first..

Postby sudden » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:45 pm

shipping and handling

So many things are sold cheap but always have a "handling" fee. That seems like the real income for the seller.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:40 pm

Okay..I've been busy with other projects..but did score a decent ukulele for probably 30% of the value..A nice "Ultralight" one for hiking!..weighs 7oz!..but the value of the thing..eliminates the "hike factor" :roll: .just getting a touchup finish on the thing..new martin strings,dropped the action at the nut..fiddled with rearranging the old friction pegs in different holes to even them out..plays well for what it is!...A 1920(plus or minus) soprano...

Other than that..I've been busy here working on a friend's rentals and starting four more ukuleles at once..unique tenors and baritones...I need to get some done for people.. :roll:
Back to work...

LN made ukuleles until into the 40s..later ones had those tuners..(or they have been changed out).I noticed it doesn't have the head decal either. :o..and mine has prettier old koa.. ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:51 pm

but did score a decent ukulele for probably 30% of the value

Nice finish and grain pattern. Since when do you pay out over a hundred for a broken uke :roll: :mrgreen:

What is it's value to you at this point?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:20 pm

I figure the value for that "style"(meaning unadorned.. without rope bindings and other bling factors..plain,but good koa..a good playing instrument in the shape it's in) at about $500-600 tops.That guy is just another idiot trying to find an uninformed sucker to pay a ridiculous amount on ebay.There are several others around the net asking more in my price range factor...say $400-700...some have lots of damage.I talked her down $100 or so from what they wanted.
Paying more than $100?.. :roll: ..Well..I have this thing for orphans with good pedigrees.. :mrgreen:

I hope to have an 8 string baritone ukujo done by the end of the weekend..about the farthest extreme from this soprano as possible..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:20 pm

That recording is lovely on my PC computer external speakers.

I like that soprano ukulele sound. :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:49 pm

My wife said it sounds good :D My hearing ain't what it used to be :o :(

My father did the same thing with violins. Buy for 20, fix up and sell for 200.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:42 pm

I have a hard time getting excited about sopranos because I made several that sound a WHOLE lot better.. :roll:
http://www.kb-ent.com/ukulin1.wav

I rate this one about at #3 or 4 for sound quality of the ones I've made..my ukulin..it is unique though...kind of light,bright,and bouncy for sound.. :roll: ..Of course I made it more for the "mandolin"-convert crowd...so it fits in right there.. :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:50 pm

The nice thing about your hobby is the friends you make when you go to the gatherings to play some tunes. When you visit relatives on the islands it's especially nice that you fit in with islanders playing the ukes. :D

What kind of wood was used on that Leonardo Nunes soprano

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:22 am

The Nunes is older,very figurative koa..Figure the wood is 80-90 years old.

I got the baritone ukujo body together..Today I need to hit the local music store,get some tuners,make the bone nut for the head..and start applying oil(oil,oil,oil) for the finish ..got to get about a 1/2 dozen coats on in the next couple days.I'd like to have it ready by Wednesday's ukulele meet..but the strings may not be broken in yet unless I do some serious playing on it Wednesday morning.. :roll:

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:13 am

koa, had to look that one up:

Acacia koa is a species of flowering tree in the pea family, Fabaceae. It is endemic to the Hawaiian Islands,[1] where it is the second most common tree.[2] The highest populations are on Hawaiʻi, Maui and Oʻahu. Its name in the Hawaiian language, koa, also means brave, bold, fearless, or warrior

The American country singer Taylor Swift with a Taylor acoustic guitar made of Acacia koa wood
Attachments
220px-Taylor_Swift.jpg

Return to “Just For The Fun Of It”