Building a ukulele..My first..

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
zelph

Re: Building a ukulele..My first..

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:44 pm

got to get about a 1/2 dozen coats on in the next couple days.I'd like to have it ready by Wednesday's ukulele meet..but the strings may not be broken in yet unless I do some serious playing on it Wednesday morning..

Give us an update on how things turned out :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:29 pm

I'm not posting pictures of ukujos here anymore..sorry..came out fine except i put some crappy hilo strings on and need to change them out to Aquilas.
I needed another project to take my mind off some other things going on and decided to cut up a midcentury modern meat serving tray of teak..got three skins from the tray so I made a tenor larger than the others,thinner soundboard and back..chechen sides,teak neck and a piece of rosewood for the fretboard.The neck and rosewood were a couple $2 pieces of wood off craigslist..the teak tray was $6..Anyway..I wanted something that might compare to a koa 8 string kamaka for sound and volume..I think I surpassed that..but will have to let a couple owners of those instruments play it and give me their honest opinion.I know my volume is greater. :lol:

I just got the strings on today and the first playing is always scary with the strings going out of tune faster than you can play it.I made up a soundbyte by tuning,playing a few chords and notes,then repeat that process as the strings settle down some..getting better all the time..so people would have an idea how scary it really is not knowing if you screwed up or not after a lot of work building one.Unfortunately..it came out at 12 mb with a limit of 5mb..so I'll have to bag that idea and make a new soundbyte from this point forward..from about the 6th tuning after an hour or so of playing..So you don't get to hear the worst of breaking them in.
I'll load it up here asap..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:42 pm

That one turned out really nice. Nice color combination. I suspect the sound will be good per your earlier results. Practice seems to have made you into an accomplished builder. :D

Is there an electronic instrument that you can use to tune a eukelele? I've see one used for pianos.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:34 pm

They have clip-on tuners that clip to the head for tuning string instruments by vibration..that way you can still use them when multiple people are playing in the same place.

http://www.sabine.com/zoid_index.htm
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:40 pm

realityguy wrote:They have clip-on tuners that clip to the head for tuning string instruments by vibration..that way you can still use them when multiple people are playing in the same place.

http://www.sabine.com/zoid_index.htm

cool!!!! Do you have and use one????

The new ZOID Tuners: Superior Sabine Tuning in a Clip-on.
All the convenience of a clip-on tuner, but this one has that rock-solid Sabine tuning algorithm. Just clip it on to your instrument, and the Zoid instantly displays the note you play. The bright two-color LCD and the high-resolution needle combine to tell you exactly where your note is, and the LCD fires bright green when you are in-tune. Tune with the clip that transfers the note directly to the tuner – great for noisy rooms. Or tune with the built-in mic if you want to share the tuner (Z-1000 / Z-2000). The Z-3000M includes a full function metronome! Sabine’s well-known accuracy gives you confidence in your tuning, and the Zoid lets you tune amazingly fast. This is not a toy – this is a truly professional instrument tuner, backed by Sabine’s two-year limited warranty and unmatched customer service.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue May 01, 2012 8:13 pm

That's the one I use(how I found the link with the name)..about $30..

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue May 01, 2012 11:01 pm

well it's no wonder you're putting out professional quality instruments. ;) Start your own shop on the big island.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed May 02, 2012 7:39 pm

:lol: I put one friend's newer 8 string kamaka to shame today..he refused to go on video saying that though :lol: ..I didn't make the ukulele meet today.. :roll: ..He came by here to try it out and brought his K-8 for comparison since he saw me making it a few days ago...He played his for about 5 minutes and mine the rest of the time he was here. :lol:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu May 03, 2012 10:07 am

Nicely done. It is a labor of love. Can you make them fast enough, maintaining quality and standards, to make a living? If not, it seems to be self gratifying and supplies supplemental income. I know I've told you before; your craftsmanship is outstanding ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu May 03, 2012 12:05 pm

Maybe make some labels with a signature to put inside, as they do in a violin?

The sound quality is beautiful. Most musical instruments, of any kind, do not have that beautiful quality of sound.

Return to “Just For The Fun Of It”