Building a ukulele..My first..

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
realityguy

Re: Building a ukulele..My first..

Post by realityguy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:48 pm

Good for making a scratching post for places you no longer can reach... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:34 pm

Making a "two-fer" now(tenor and backpacking lightweight soprano at once)...they are getting done,bodies are together!

Lot of tension on an overly arched back on the soprano..think I better let the glue dry overnight... :shock:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:39 pm

Hmm..I was going to stain this darker..but it's just screaming for a natural finish.. :roll:

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:44 pm

That is beautiful...

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:41 pm

Just a coat of benite,sanding sealer,so i could make sure the glue is off the sides and joints..Quartersawn black oak sides and mahogany front and back..black oak neck..dark bulletwood(dark red) bridge and nut again.The other smaller backpacker I'm making is the reverse on the sides,neck,and front/back...because I already had a neck shaped out of mahogany.
This one is still weighing in right at 500 grams..complete with the frets and some older style Harmony friction tuners I plan to use.I'll see how it balances out with those.I may go to the heavier geared ones and save the Harmony ones for the backpacker.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:19 am

Looking really nice. Stain the sides to match the mahogany. Maybe a shade lighter. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:18 am

3 sizes...Today I hope to get the fretboards and bridges made and on..get a coat of finish sprayed on.I'm going to use a couple very thin coats of polyurethane and hand-rub the rest,trying to keep the finish as thin as possible but still durable.The small backpacker will weigh in at 340 grams or so..about 11-12oz.

Stain..if I stain anything,I'll have to stain the entire thing or there is the chance of fingerprints on the mahogany if I try to avoid that..I might stain out the small one..different mahogany board,if I remember right.It might be lighter in color.I think stain on the larger one's mahogany will take it too dark and lose the grain and detail of the wood.If I stain the mahogany,I'm afraid it'll come out like the Gibson next to it..which to me is too dark.
Holes..the hole in the first one is at the position of the original kamaka soprano..I plan on adding more frets about 1-1/2" down over the body so dropped the hole for room.The other one's dimensions somewhat match the Gibson tenor next to it.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:31 am

what ever you do, it will turn out nice, you do nice work!!!! :D and lots of it ;) be sure not to overwork yourself, take time out for the thrift stores :P
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:31 pm

I did add a little stain to "redden" the large one closer to the fretboard and bridge color..it'll darken more probably with finish.On the small one,the neck mahogany was lighter than the sides..so I added some color to that..otherwise nothing on the rest..I ended up having to make a couple "bridge" clamps.. :roll: ..what I did today took longer than i thought..

I'll be adding a bone bridge and nut to the bigger one.The smaller one gets a wood nut(busy with clamps in the way so it wasn't put on today..seems to work okay on the other one.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:48 pm

Those are very beautiful.

You never made musical instruments before?