Building a ukulele..My first..

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
zelph

Re: Building a ukulele..My first..

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:15 pm

Really lookin good there Seattle Uker :mrgreen: Do you have signature inside them?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:27 am

They are initialled up under the tops(mirror needed) and dated..but I am using my own labels,description of the uke,and a picture of the Crescent Beach island...Later I'm going to put an emblem on the heads-..some kind of artistic thing..
I can pull the tuners off...rout what's needed,fill it with pearl,shell, or something and epoxy,and put the tuners back on..
I just haven't figured out exactly what I want there yet.. :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:12 am

Hmm..Connie..had a post disappear or it didn't get posted by me..Maybe it ended up on another thread??? :roll: :lol:

Anyway..always wanted to play an instrument and build one..better now than never!So..I got carried away. :roll: I'll make up a bunch in different sizes,shapes,etc.I do have another set of strings for an 8 string tenor(4x2)..like the larger sized one.That'll probably be my next project;some sides,a neck, and other parts are already made,as are all the jigs finally.I do need to cut some front and back skins 9-1/2"x1/16" thick(approximately .060") wide out of the oak(the 1/16" thickness is the main chore).I do have enough fretting for about 3 more ukes also..3 of them took about 5-6' of fret material.I do need to buy at least a couple more sets of good nyl-gut strings,about $6 a set.
The next will probably be 8 strings,all oak body,and the tenor larger size...Once i cut a 3/4x9-1/2x4-5' long board in thirds and then down to size..tha'll give me 9 skins..or 4 and a 1/2 uke front and back "sets"..I have some really nice side material cut.I don't mind cutting the sides because I can do the entire cut with a table saw.the wide stuff I need to handsaw about 4" wide in the middle... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:31 am

Maybe I missed that part, I did heard you play one ukulele and it sounds good.

So you never made a musical instrument before? Amazing.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:52 pm

That's odd..the wife doesn't like the new crystals I hung from the dining room chandelier.. :roll:

:lol:

(closer to the woodstove..more drying time...)

Nuts,tuners,pearl dots,and strings tomorrow..and get 'em done! :DB:

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:32 pm

Ta Da...

A couple adjustments and all done!

sudden

Post by sudden » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:33 pm

Beautiful.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:20 pm

Okay..no.4..will be an 8 string tenor,all oak,a little thicker skinned than the last two which at below .060 are pretty scary clamping them up.. :shock: ..and I can flex the mahogany sides of the little backpacker.. I spent some serious time over the last two days slicing an oak board 1"x10" wide x5' long down to 1/16" thick and enough for a couple purdy skin sets for a couple tenors.. This involved a couple hours handsawing the middle section of the board,just to slab off a third..then a lot of times through the planer to slowly get it pretty flat again and get rid of most of the saw marks..then 20-30 times pushed through a drum sander to get it down to the right thickness and no more millmarks or saw marks....and about .070 thick!Sometime I'll handsaw the other third off the other side and get two more thin slabs out of the board... :o..and go through the Thinning process twice again.. Image
Image I've got some ideas for an original radical design for #5 :sci: ..Should sound outrageous also..something unique and totally different. :roll: I'll wait until I'm done and tested to post that one..it may end up as fuel for a wood stove... :lol:

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:24 pm

You really banged those out in short order :o They really look nice and worth lots of money. Sell to the Islanders when you go on vacation to the Big Island ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:00 pm

Got the sides bent on another along with the kerfing;cut kerfing pieces for 3 or so more..I used that really nice quartersawn board I posted awhile ago( :shock: ) for the sides...I'll get 3 tenors and 2 soprano sets of sideboards out of a 5 foot board cut into thirds..The one soprano side piece will be .045 though.. but being quartersawn oak it should be okay..and not as high as the tenors.. :roll: ..I might end up with a lighter weight backpacker...
Showed a couple more people I know/met the ukes(a musician from craigs,his girlfriend picking up an espresso maker.. and a couple flea market sellers..one plays).They all say ..AWESOME!!!SELLLLLL!
I guess I should take that as good reviews... :roll: :lol: