Zelph is Camping

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
sudden

Re: Zelph is Camping

Postby sudden » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:35 pm

zelph,

I have an idea that will keep you busy while camping :mrgreen:

Imagine this made into a pellet simmering wood stove. Light from one end to simmer, light from both ends to cook.

"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

sudden

Postby sudden » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:41 pm

They beat me to it :{

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

sudden

Postby sudden » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:22 pm

I studied that smoke generator a little bit more and think it can still be done. The very thing they are worried about is what we might prefer. They use it to generate smoke (I will order one just for this purpose since it is a great design). The problem they run into is flames!. Flames are what I want to boil water or simmer. I think a taller separator and more of a hardware cloth style opening will do just that. You would have to stop the burn from jumping the tracks so for my purposes the separator walls would have to be solid as well as tall (and possibly tilted inward to give more separation of tracks).

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:15 pm

It's going to be an interesting project. You should ask the guy to light 2 inches of the top only to see how well the flames would travel down the isles of pellets. If you do order one you'll be able to test it that way also. The container you put it in can't have any drafts going over the surface.

Connie you have an interesting past. :D Here at the RV Park there is another host couple that is in their second year here. They also are trying to see if they would like this life style.

It's time for you to start making some camping plans to test your new gear. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:30 pm

We still have "spring snowstorms" in the mountains and sometimes snow in town.

I have been getting in some "winter camping" by carrying up all three backpacking woodstoves and lighting up one after the other, all ready to go, in front of the Shangri-La 3 with the aluminized nylon panel inside on the opposite wall clipped to the screen nest ties I am not using for the bug screen nest I did not purchase.

It worked great.

It may be heavier than mylar sheeting, a 70D aluminized ripstop nylon, but I expect the aluminized nylon to be more durable and there is no mylar crinkling sound. I also got the 12" square sample to torture test for durability and to practice stitches on the thread-injector sewing machine.

I hope to get my RV up on the property as soon as the ground is reasonably dry. I don't want to tear up the access.

Hey! A great thing about the boat or RV-lifestyle is having a "base camp" home with you. :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:59 pm

As long as you are burning wood in the great outdoors you're a happy camper :D

My work schedule changed: Wed. Thurs. Fri. and Saturday.

Sun. Mon. Tue. no work

Cut grass today and helped install a kiddie swing set, slide etc. in the playground area. :D

Yes, it's nice to have a RV base camp to work out of. Hope we get used to living this way.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:26 pm

Yesterday I cut weeds in the lake with a long handled device that a rope is attached to. the device is lowered into the water and we drag it around the lake via a flat bottom boat driven in reverse. the weeds then float to the top. Over night the wind blew them to one end of the lake. To day I and and another host raked them out of the water and hauled them to a large burn pile. I now have sore back muscles :lol:

The good news is we burned half the pile of collected leaves and tree debri/branches. We had a nice roaring fire. :DBfire: Fringe benefits :lol:

We are expecting scattered frost tonight here in Northern Illinois......bummer :(

2 brood of gosslings were sighted along the lake shore. I might get some videos of them tomorrow.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:26 pm

I was thinking as I was reading your post,"sounds hard on the back". Be careful, it's easy to strain a back muscle at your age :P at any age as far as that goes. Good thing you have baby geese and not swans or you would not be weeding the lake. On second thought, maybe Swan's might not be that bad...... :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:03 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:I was thinking as I was reading your post,"sounds hard on the back". Be careful, it's easy to strain a back muscle at your age :P at any age as far as that goes. Good thing you have baby geese and not swans or you would not be weeding the lake. On second thought, maybe Swan's might not be that bad...... :lol:

I'll be careful :D I'll try and talk the owner into getting swans to be rid of the geese and keep the weeds trimmed in the lake. I hope they eat a lot. :mrgreen:

we cut grass/weeds in the lake again today. this video was taken today in the morning. we removes some weeds from the shoreline that were cut 2 days ago. The wind blows the cut floating weeds down to one end of the lake. tomorrow if weather permits, I'll be removing the weeds again from the shore line that get blown to the shore over night.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun May 06, 2012 8:13 pm

I've been doing lakeside maintenance this past week and got to get a good look at the shoreline. Many largemouth bass in the shallows protcting their egg beds. BigDaddy males nearby helping protect the area. Ohhhh!!!! My, I'm going to have some good fishin this year. Lots of huge bullfrogs will be consumed this year also. Bass will be catchandrelease. Last week lake weeds were cut and this week they had to be raked from the shore line. OOOOh my aching muscles :lol:

Sudden, any new ideas on the pellet stove?

Return to “Just For The Fun Of It”