I bought a camper (kinda)

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
zelph

Re: I bought a camper (kinda)

Post by zelph » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:27 pm

steamjam wrote:Welp. I did a full inspection of the V-Charger and this has gone from a "polish the turd and go camping" project to a near full tear down and rebuild.

Here is the body damage to the driver side quarter. It looks worse then it actually is.
I'd get rid of the rear most window and cover that whole rear panel with sheet metal maybe even wrap it all the way around to the door edge then cut a hole for a tail light. I like "easy" :mrgreen:

We've seen what you can do with the VW bug so we're confident in what you say " It looks worse then it actually is. " Looks like a job that will extend into late fall, you'll geter done just in time for the fall whale migrations down in Baja :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:39 pm

No sweat!Looks like about 30 tubs of Bondo to me... ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:40 pm

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:13 pm

Goes good in reverse ;) The terrain doesn't loot suitable for a van....some pretty deep ruts...
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:39 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Goes good in reverse ;) The terrain doesn't loot suitable for a van....some pretty deep ruts...
That road at the end where I got stuck is actually quite steep. The Tcase selector rod popped off and knocked it into neutral so I had no drive in any direction by the end.. :( Thats 100% gravity and 5500lbs that let me get out of that one. Actually I started to slide down at the end and I whipped the wheel towards the slope and the van just kinda "orbited" around backing off the embankment.

I'm repositioning the shifter rod away from the Tcase mount tomorrow morning am I'm trying that hill again! (after the World Cup finals!)

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:45 pm

Scarry.......it still had breaks right? You might have had to bail out if things went really wrong. well, brake wouldn't help it you started to roll over and over and over and over :o coulda turned it into a storage shed :lol:

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:49 pm

Just for the heck of it I tested the '79s suspension articulation capabilities today.

I'm not too impressed, but better then your average 4x4 Dodge conversion.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:18 am

The first photo looked good. What were you expecting? What didn't happen? :?

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:51 pm

coming down the mountain;

630AM, stopped by the ocean. made breakfast and coffee in the van.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:11 pm

I'm confused :? :shock: :mrgreen:

you said:
Published on Jul 12, 2014

The last voyage of the 1979 Dodge van 4x4. Its so rusty its not worth fixing so I'm parting it out, and keeping the entire driveline. I went for a little cruise up a very steep hill and when the transfercase popped out of 4-lo. I nearly put the van on its side.
That was on your video. What you doing having breakfast on the beach :mrgreen: Did you change your mind? :o