I bought a camper (kinda)

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
zelph

Re: I bought a camper (kinda)

Post by zelph » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:22 pm

You lucked out being close to NAPA...good fortune :D Getting close to vacation time, got to get that body work done ;)

Well I had to look up "switcher" :D

A switcher or shunter (Great Britain: shunter; Australia: shunter or yard pilot; USA: switcher or switch engine, except Pennsylvania Railroad: shifter) is a small railroad locomotive intended not for moving trains over long distances but rather for assembling trains ready for a road locomotive to take over, disassembling a train that has been brought in, and generally moving railroad cars around – a process usually known as switching (UK: shunting). They do this in classification yards (Great Britain: marshalling yards). Switchers may also make short transfer runs and even be the only motive power on branch lines and switching and terminal railroads. The term can also be used to describe the workers operating these engines or engaged in directing shunting operations.

The typical switcher is optimised for its job, being relatively low-powered but with a high starting tractive effort for getting heavy cars rolling quickly. Switchers are geared to produce high torque but are restricted to low top speeds and have small diameter driving wheels. Switchers are rail analogs to tugboats.

US switchers tend to be larger, with bogies to allow them to be used on tight radiuses. European switchers tend to be smaller, with fixed rod-coupled wheels, although bogie types are sometimes used where very heavy loads are involved, such as at steelworks.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:20 pm

zelph wrote:You lucked out being close to NAPA...good fortune :D Getting close to vacation time, got to get that body work done ;)

Well I had to look up "switcher" :D

US switchers tend to be larger, with bogies to allow them to be used on tight radiuses. European switchers tend to be smaller, with fixed rod-coupled wheels, although bogie types are sometimes used where very heavy loads are involved, such as at steelworks.[/b]
We know those as "articulated trucks". the RR I work at has a fixed rod center cab twin engine locomotive which I want to get a tetanus shot just by looking at it. Anyways I get to play "engineer" again tomorrow morning where I will take a group of Korean tourists on the railroad... How I ended up being engineer again after four or five years of hardcore office duty is this conversation I had with my boss two weeks ago:

boss: "I need you as an an engineer. Can you take the switcher twice a week up the hill with a train load of tourists?"
me: "Sure but I'll need a pilot for the first run. Its been a few years."
boss: "I don't have anybody available. Yer on your own."
me: "WELL I suppose the last time I took a train full of tourists up the RR they came within an inch of getting burned to death. Can't imagine I can do worse then that, right."
boss: "Yeah huh. As I recall you were bitching about how bored you were at the round house that morning before the fire."
me: "Yeah I was, wasn't I"
boss: "So quit bitching and you'll be fine.. "
me: ".........."

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:39 am

Yikes!!! you're on your own...oh my!!!!

Looks like you got right back into the swing of it by the looks of the video :D At least going in reverse :lol: Now take it easy going forward :o and down grade ;)

Let us know how the tour went :D

Is it an active roundhouse where you work? Do a video of it when a engine is being turned around if you please :D I'll look for one on youtube.

Found one!!! :D

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:08 pm

zelph wrote:Yikes!!! you're on your own...oh my!!!!
Looks like you got right back into the swing of it by the looks of the video :D At least going in reverse :lol: Now take it easy going forward :o and down grade ;)
Let us know how the tour went :D
Is it an active roundhouse where you work? Do a video of it when a engine is being turned around if you please :D I'll look for one on youtube.
The tour went fine.

We have a round house (Now a generic term for engine house), but its square. No turntable either.. :(

WanderingStovie

Post by WanderingStovie » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:09 pm

Here is a video of the turntable at Frostburg along the Great Allegheny Passage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L25YjvrrE0Q