I bought a camper (kinda)

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
steamjam

Re: I bought a camper (kinda)

Post by steamjam » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:16 pm

zelph wrote:I agree, the sooner you can get away from that, the better. Don't like swingin in the breeze at 300 feet goin 10 feet this way and then 10 feet thatta way....no way joezay :mrgreen:
dodge'in pitches
What is dodgen pitches?
Its when your spiking a piece of rail to the tie, and you don't hit the spike with your 50lb spike hammer just nearly perfectly square, the spike LAUNCHES in random directions. You, and whoever else is with you DODGE, DUCK, JUMP, or do whatever else you can in order to not get hit by that 2lb MISSILE that's headed right for your face...

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:16 pm

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, you need to get a new occupation :D Wonder why they don't make battery powered spike hammers that load like a nail gun only one spike at a time....baaammmmmm!!!! one shot and it's in :lol:

Geee, you should get hazardous duty pay :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:31 pm

zelph wrote:Thanks for the explanation. Yes, you need to get a new occupation :D Wonder why they don't make battery powered spike hammers that load like a nail gun only one spike at a time....baaammmmmm!!!! one shot and it's in :lol:

Geee, you should get hazardous duty pay :mrgreen:
I personally believe it should be LAW that all boys who reach the age of 16 should be required to spend a day spiking rail. If they walk out of that day not knowing what an honest days work is...... They are beyond encouragement!

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:33 pm

I remember seeing young boys in the western movies swinging a spike hammer. Them were the days!!!!

Only one man per spike nowadays? I remember seeing 2 guys taking turns at spiking one spike. :roll: that had to be dangerous

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:39 pm

zelph wrote:I remember seeing young boys in the western movies swinging a spike hammer. Them were the days!!!!

Only one man per spike nowadays? I remember seeing 2 guys taking turns at spiking one spike. :roll: that had to be dangerous
Yeah that's when it gets sketchy.. I cannot imagine doing it 8 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:52 pm

steamjam wrote:
zelph wrote:I remember seeing young boys in the western movies swinging a spike hammer. Them were the days!!!!

Yeah that's when it gets sketchy.. I cannot imagine doing it 8 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week.
My grandfather help build one of the first railroads in Minnesota. It was his first job once he got off the boat. He came all the way from Lithuania to work as a spiker :mrgreen:

In your many travels oalong the rails, have you ever come across any remnants of old railroad batteries? The porcelain jar type used at railroad crossings and other places where dc electricity was needed. I have 2 batteries that I purchased at a flea market long ago. 3 were needed to produce the 6V that was common at the time.

Ever find the "dating" nails in old railroad ties?

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:16 pm

zelph wrote:
steamjam wrote:

My grandfather help build one of the first railroads in Minnesota. It was his first job once he got off the boat. He came all the way from Lithuania to work as a spiker :mrgreen:

In your many travels oalong the rails, have you ever come across any remnants of old railroad batteries? The porcelain jar type used at railroad crossings and other places where dc electricity was needed. I have 2 batteries that I purchased at a flea market long ago. 3 were needed to produce the 6V that was common at the time.

Ever find the "dating" nails in old railroad ties?
Way back in the day men who wielded spike hammers were called "pickers" or "road boys". Do I come across those pickle jar batteries? Yep. We still use a version a 12v version. Spikes usually don't come dated, but ties usually have metal date tags, or as you put it date nails. I have about two dozen floating around ranging from 1909 to 1939.

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:19 pm

I also use, as a key fob a 1890's steam lever to a B&M wooden coach.. :) Always gets curious questions.. :)

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:17 am

Ok!!! my grandfather was a "road boy" :D

I found a few railroad tie date nails when I used to walk the tracks hunting wabbits.

I also found an empty and full bottle of oil that was used in the battery jars to prevent evaporization of the acid.

sounds like a pretty heavy key fob :mrgreen:

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:12 pm

zelph wrote:sounds like a pretty heavy key fob :mrgreen:
How'dya think I keep from losing my keys?... :-D