At-home cooking

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
zelph

Re: At-home cooking

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:17 am

Here's an easy one that never fails to impress.

Red Wine Chicken:

1 chicken breast for each person (this recipe handles 4-6)
1 cup red wine
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp water
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tsp dry, ground ginger
pinch or two of oregano
1 tbsp brown sugar

Mix the ingredients in an oven-safe container, add the breasts and cover with foil or a lid. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes, then begin checking for doneness. It's done when still tender but not pink inside. Gets tough if overcooked. In our family we serve it with baked potatoes (just throw these in the oven about 20 minutes before the chicken). Plate a breast and cut it up to increase surface area. Then open up your potato and spoon some sauce over both the chicken and the potato. The leftover meat makes good sandwich filling (slice it cold).

I recently cooked 2 Cornish game hens in my newly acquired bread making machine :mrgreen: So your recipe will work just fine when I get 2 more hens. They weigh 22 ounces each. I cooked them for 2 hours and the meat fell off the bones. The next cooking session will be for less time ;)

Here is how they fit inside the pan....they tasted soooo good!

Oh, almost forgot...I baked a package of fresh, boneless chicken thighs that were on sale for $2 lb. The bread baking machine is my friend :mrgreen:

I have 2lbs of ground turkey to bake today, call me obsessed :lol:
Attachments
cooking 002.JPG
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:16 pm

Does your bread pan have a mixing lever in the bottom of it?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:47 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Does your bread pan have a mixing lever in the bottom of it?

I remove it when I bake. Just the post is there that holds the mixing lever when needed.

churro

Postby churro » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:23 am

zelph wrote:
Oh, almost forgot...I baked a package of fresh, boneless chicken thighs that were on sale for $2 lb. The bread baking machine is my friend :mrgreen:

Thighs are always underrated and underpriced! I have a buddy who buys those on sale, then cans them as dog food. The dogs love it, and he eats it himself on occasion. According to him, you just stuff pint jars nearly full (bone in thighs), cap them and cook in a pressure canner for an hour and fifteen minutes. It makes it's own broth, and the meat just falls off the bones, which he removes before feeding the dogs. He cave me one to try once, and it was delicious- much better than the Sam's Club canned chicken we keep on hand.

I have 2 crockpot recipes that work well with chicken thighs. I'll dig them up and post them here. I am sure they would work in your bread machine, Zelph.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:37 pm

churro wrote:
zelph wrote:

Thighs are always underrated and underpriced! I have a buddy who buys those on sale, then cans them as dog food. The dogs love it, and he eats it himself on occasion. According to him, you just stuff pint jars nearly full (bone in thighs), cap them and cook in a pressure canner for an hour and fifteen minutes. It makes it's own broth, and the meat just falls off the bones, which he removes before feeding the dogs. He cave me one to try once, and it was delicious- much better than the Sam's Club canned chicken we keep on hand.

I have 2 crockpot recipes that work well with chicken thighs. I'll dig them up and post them here. I am sure they would work in your bread machine, Zelph.

Yeah, Ridgerunner mentioned that chicken was one of the best meat deals in the meat department at our local markets.

Yesterday I made "Monkey Bread in my oven, today it will be the ground turkey in some fashion. Oh yeah, going to make "impossible Pie" ground turkey fried and toco seasoning added chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese. Put that in the bread pan and then pour on a mix of "bisquick" batter and sprinkle cheese on top of that and then bake.

Monkey bread is made with thawed biscuit dough quartered, moistened with melted butter, rolled in brown sugar and then throw into bread pan and then bake for 1.5 hours. It's a sweet treat :D I'll be back later to load the finished monkey bread on a plate photo.
Attachments
Monkey Bread 002.JPG
Monkey Bread 001.JPG

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:04 pm

This evening I did an "impossible pie" in the bread machine. Will post photos tomorrow along with the recipe.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:11 pm

I'll be back later to load the finished monkey bread on a plate photo.

yeah right..what's left will be about 3 crumbs.. :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:29 am

realityguy wrote:
I'll be back later to load the finished monkey bread on a plate photo.

yeah right..what's left will be about 3 crumbs.. :lol:

This is what it looked like after my wife took her first helping:
Attachments
001.JPG

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:45 am

Impossible Pies by Betty Crocker

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/pro ... pesRecipes can vary according to your taste.

I fried up a pan full of coleslaw with seasonings and then set that aside. I then fried up 1 pound of ground turkey seasoned with salt-pepper and once that was cooked I added canned corn, crushed tomatoes , one packet of toco seasoning and then the cooked coleslaw, mixed up and cooked a few min.

Mixed up some pancake batter cause we were all out of bisquick, place the cooked ingredients into bread pan and then poured pancake mix over the top of it. Put bread pan into machine and baked for one hour. I had enough cooked turkey mix to make 2 batches, one for the bread machine and one for the oven.

The oven batch was done 1st so we ate that one up. Gooood stuff :dinner:

Today for lunch we'll have the one made in the bread machine :dinner:

The pie easily comes out of the bread pan when tipped upside down onto a plate and then flipped over again to make it right side up.

The loaf of bread looking thing is filled with moist cooked turkey and veggies.
Attachments
Impossible Pie 004.JPG
Impossible Pie 003.JPG
Impossible Pie 002.JPG
Impossible Pie 001.JPG

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:18 pm

Looks good as does the monkey bread ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Just For The Fun Of It”