At-home cooking

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
churro

Re: At-home cooking

Postby churro » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:28 am

Ridgerunner- I usually dry the bags of cole-slaw mix, and it holds it's texture well. Don't expect it to be like coleslaw again, but in soup it works really well and adds a lot of flavor and texture. In order to dry fresh cabbage, I usually shred it then toss it with some kosher salt. Let it drain a few hours, then rinse and dry in a salad spinner. This helps it dry well and re-hydrate well. I suspect the same thing has been done to the coleslaw mix so it doesn't weep when dressing is added.

Zelph- When I was 6 years old, my father, my brother and myself got stranded on a tiny island off the coast of maine. The motor on our dinky little boat failed, then 2 of 3 oars broke, and we drifted to an island that was only a few yards across at high tide. We were stuck there for 6 hours or so, until the local ferry captain rescued us. Since then, I have been sort of obsessed with all things survival. By the time I was 12 or so, I had learned that staying alive is not so hard, you just keep trying not to die. So I began learning how to stay alive in style. I taught myself french and italian cooking, figuring that all the refined techniques would help me make twigs, berries and bugs taste better. Since my work keeps me outside a lot during the growing season, I try to gather lots of edibles when they are in their prime and use them at home to figure out how they are best used. I have learned what to look for in each season around here, and many times folks have no idea the food I served them was wild.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:48 pm

Churro, very interesting background that began your quest for survival.

I'll be gathering the springtime edibles and incorporating them into my meals. Spring beauties will be coming up soon along with many other edibles. I'll even try some garlic mustard which has become a nuisance around the Midwest.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:46 pm

Hey Ridgerunner, what will be the first meal to be cooked in your new oven?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:00 pm

It was going to a venison meatloaf but my wife made one while I was at work. Maybe a hamloaf ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:32 pm

Is that this years venison?

churro
I had learned that staying alive is not so hard, you just keep trying not to die. So I began learning how to stay alive in style.

From what I understand we all have the instinct to do what ever necessary to survive. Not too many years ago on the news we heard of the guy that cut his arm off with a pocket knife to release himself from a situation that would have killed him.

churro

Postby churro » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:28 pm

Just finished eating some game hens cooked according to the red wine chicken recipe above. It's even better than with chicken breasts. I guess the bones add body to the sauce.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:06 pm

Yeah, the bones add gelatinous flavor and a little grease to make it all slide down easier :o I had a breast of chicken today left over from my bread machine cooking trials. It was dry as all get out :lol: but!!! lots of mayo on the whole wheat fresh baked bread made it ok :D

Did you ever use chicken fat as a substitute for butter or mayo?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:34 am

I remember Grandpa's cardiologist telling him that Mayo was one of the worst foods for your heart but that was 45 years ago and they flip flop daily, it seems, on the merits of different foods.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

churro

Postby churro » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:22 am

Check out a video called "the oldest old" on youtube. Interesting data.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:08 pm

Return to “Just For The Fun Of It”