At-home cooking

Odds and Ends Of Life, Keep It Clean
Ridgerunner

Re: At-home cooking

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:27 pm

Your wife's bread maker appears to be the size of a microwave. The neat thing about the outdoor oven is you make a fire to cook your bread, pizza, chicken or whatever. That would be a nice DIY project if your yard was set up for it ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:24 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Your wife's bread maker appears to be the size of a microwave. The neat thing about the outdoor oven is you make a fire to cook your bread, pizza, chicken or whatever. That would be a nice DIY project if your yard was set up for it ;)
How about you....you'd like one in your back yard :P You finished with the add-on? Nice set-up to try some of chuuros recipes :hungry:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:29 pm

Yes, it would make a nice addition but I have more projects planned than I have time for. :o
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:40 pm

Yesterday I baked 2 large pieces of salmon in the machine :D Yes, turned out well. ;)

churro

Post by churro » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:55 pm

Here's one I like that I haven't done in some time.

Crockpot honey bourbon chicken (not sure why "bourbon", no booze in this. Maybe the region?)

2-3 lbs chicken thighs (Bone-in are better)
salt and pepper
1 cup honey
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, roughly chopped (or more, If you want to stretch the meal a little)
healthy squirt of siracha sauce
1 or 2 1 lb bag(s) baby carrots
Sesame seeds

Salt and pepper both sides of chicken pieces. Place in crockpot, dutch oven, bread maker(?) or solar cooker pan. Combine remaining ingredients except sesame seeds and pour over chicken. Cook 4-6 hours (oven: 275 degrees F, crockpot: low, solar oven: just put it in, bread maker: ?). Remove chicken pieces, debone and return the meat to the pot. Serve over rice, sprinkle with sesame seeds.

If you want to make this for dehydrating, omit the butter and use boneless, skinless chicken breast. Cook, dehydrate and add butter flakes or bacon bits, minute rice and sesame seeds to the dried portions. The high sugar content and low fat content combined with the long cooking makes a particularly stable dehydrated meal.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:10 pm

When I return from vacation I will definitely try this recipe in my :modified bread: machine :D

churro

Post by churro » Fri May 15, 2015 10:10 pm

Here's one I just made that is great with wild rice and steamed broccoli. Use whatever meat and booze is handy. Squirrel, porcupine, pork, venison or buffalo work best.

Meat with whiskey-maple sauce:

meat, about 4-6 servings
1/4 cup each finely diced carrots, onions and celery
2 small cloves garlic, minced
2/3 cup whiskey (or bourbon, gin (especially with venison), brandy or whatever is lying around)
2/3 cup real maple syrup
4 tbsp grainy mustard
4 tbsp ketchup or tomato sauce
sprig of fresh rosemary
sprig of fresh thyme
pinch of cayenne
several pats of butter
salt and pepper

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add a pat of butter and cook the meat to desired doneness and keep warm ( I generally preheat the oven to 225* F and transfer the meat to a preheated casserole dish just before it's done). Add another pat of butter and cook the carrots, onion and celery until soft, maybe 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic, stir a few seconds, then add the booze, scrape the pan to deglaze, then add the remaining ingredients except salt and pepper. Simmer for a few minutes and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve the sauce over the meat with seasoned wild rice and steamed vegetables. You'll be surprised at the depth of flavor.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri May 15, 2015 11:42 pm

Another good one to try :D
4 tbsp grainy mustard
Is there smooth mustard, which tastes better?

I'm back from vacation but having trouble adjusting to being back. :o Came back to do "work" :roll:

Wish I had sheep to mow my field and grass :D

churro

Post by churro » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:15 am

Irrigation season started today, with a bang. One of my neighbors neglected to clean his ditches, so water was pouring into my field. I managed to plug the problem, then decided to take my water out of the ditch to lessen the load on my patch. While I was out, I realized that the volume of water going into my pond was greater than the volume of water going out, so I investigated and found a healthy colony of watercress plugging the outlet... Score! Dinner!

I gathered about 2 lbs of watercress (spicy and delicious, not like store-bought) while clearing the problem and found it to be spicy and delicious (did I mention it was spicy and delicious?), so I set to work:

2 lbs watercress (spicy and delicious), chopped roughly
2 yams, baked (while I was re-routing water)
1/4 large onion, diced
2 pats of butter
1 small clove garlic, minced
1/4 lb lamb's quarter, (gathered while I played with the dog)
2 cans chicken broth (Swanson's low sodium)
a pinch of salt and some fresh-ground pepper
2 slices home-made white bread, torn up small

Rinse and pick the watercress and lamb's quarter, removing stems, ugly leaves and tough bits. Set aside. Bake the sweet potatoes, wrapped in foil, at 375* F for 1 hour, set aside. Heat a pot over medium heat, add butter and onion and stir frequently until soft. Add baked, peeled sweet potatoes and garlic, maybe a little more butter. Add salt, pepper, lamb's quarter, watercress and stock. Bring to a boil and simmer until greens are soft, maybe 5 minutes. Add bread and blend with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. Serve with the best sprigs of watercress as a garnish.

It was delicious! It tasted like a "cream of whatever" soup, only better. I had meant to garnish it with cattail shoots, sliced and marinated in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, which would have been great, but I forgot to gather any cattail shoots. Homemade white bread, toasted, then rubbed with a clove of garlic closed the deal nicely. I love this time of year!

EDIT- I couldn't just let one triumph stand alone, so I gathered some rose petals and wrapped them around a stick of butter. They were so fragrant, I couldn't resist. It's in the fridge now, and in a couple of days I'll make some solar-cooked cornbread and see how it tastes- I'll let you know.