fire starting methods

Useful information that may come in handy in an emergency situation. It can be hiking related or any other area of every day life situations. Icestorms, huricanes, tornados, floods etc.
irrationalsolutions

fire starting methods

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:32 pm

over at bushcraft usa they have a hand drill challenge. i tried and had a video problem and have given up after a second attempt to get the video due to blister problems. anyway thats not the topic i'm shooting for here. the prize was a fire piston. these things have interested me a lot. i have been able to see one in action and was wondering if anyone here has been able to build a small handheld one that works. i would like to have one and would like to build one myself. so let the discussion begin.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

oops56

Re: fire starting methods

Post by oops56 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:05 pm

Well i got 2 fire piston and ever thing to make fire. A fire piston is hard to do the wood got to be hard wood or it leak air out of the side under compression plus rod must come close to bottom but not hit best to make one out of brass or alum. the bore about 3/8 hole any bigger cant push rod down and got to be real hi polish bore. Its cheaper to buy one less headache

Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:42 pm

I made one using a 1" dowel and a 1/4" dowel and a piece of copper pipe. It has been put on the backburner but is sitting right in front of my computer saying "don't forget about me". I had too tight a fit and was not satisfied with it. I think I will give it one more go but use a different piece of copper. They sell a piece the has a rounded closed end that would be perfect. Like oops said, it would be easier to buy one and as far as backpacking, they are too heavy. It would be a nice piece to have car camping or on short weekend hikes. Zelphs razor blade and keychain flint is a lightweight way to go. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:06 pm

I have one in process also(metal tubes). The compression tube will be filled with something to make it solid and then concave it's base. Char cloth will be manditory tinder. Fascinating is the word to use to describe the principle behind it. My stove activities have superceded the piston. :o

Ferrocerium rod and steel is my goto survival fire starter. The mini one refered to by RR.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:11 pm

i really like your fire starter zelph and have other methods of fire starting i just want one of these.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:30 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:i really like your fire starter zelph and have other methods of fire starting i just want one of these.
Oh Yes, start yours now while the going is good. When I find the parts to mine I'll post and show you the tubes. I got mine at my local Ace hardware store. They fit perfectly. I want one also :mrgreen:

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:21 am

Wouldn't be cool to make one where the piston was a ferro rod. Then you have more than one way to start a fire at hand. although it would eventually deform your piston from functioning if you used the ferro rod a lot. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

JOE(USA)

Post by JOE(USA) » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:30 am

oops56 wrote:Well i got 2 fire piston and ever thing to make fire. A fire piston is hard to do the wood got to be hard wood or it leak air out of the side under compression plus rod must come close to bottom but not hit best to make one out of brass or alum. the bore about 3/8 hole any bigger cant push rod down and got to be real hi polish bore. Its cheaper to buy one less headache

Oops,

The problem with the soft wood (and actually hard wood too) is the pores in the wood absorb some of the compression,so the temp. is less. The easy fix is just to seal the pores of the wood with "super glue" ahead of the "o" ring. I have not had much luck making one of these things,everything needs to be right on the money or it doesn't work. Someone needs to come up with a foolproof, easy method of construction for the DIYer. Joe

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:31 pm

I read this guys info and was impressed with the info.

After reading it I started to gather my materials.

http://www.onagocag.com/piston.html

dzierzak

Post by dzierzak » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:54 pm

Last edited by dzierzak on Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.