New "lighter"

Useful information that may come in handy in an emergency situation. It can be hiking related or any other area of every day life situations. Icestorms, huricanes, tornados, floods etc.
realityguy

Re: New "lighter"

Post by realityguy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:18 am

I have one of the lighter size mini-torches but more than likely will not being using it in the woods or on any hike.Hey..it was a dollar at the swap meet! :lol:
Appears next week we might be out at the ocean for a couple days..day hikes..Maybe go to Shi-shi(Rialto?) and Point of the Arches..gotta winterize the house up there.I've crossed my fingers this last week that the power didn't go out..sounds like they had just under a foot of snow in the yard and not quite as cold as here.
I still wouldn't pack a torch,just probably a gas or canister stove or something else..for coffee/soup,noodles,etc.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:50 pm

RG, take your wood stove :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Post by sudden » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:15 pm

"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Bfinnigan

Post by Bfinnigan » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:15 pm

I did get my Blazer wet last week up in the mountains and it would not light. The moisture most likely shorted out the air gap for the piezo. So I will make a cap for the front of it and make sure I have my fire steel with me. The gas still flowed out fine but the piezo is very moisture sensitive.

It's a great lighter but it does have a weakness so I wanted to let everyone know. A fire steel will light it and the heat should dry up any moisture around the nozzle. Or I can just make sure not to drop it when out in the wilds.
Even a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day at the office.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:02 pm

A survival lighter that's water sensitive, hmmmmmm!!!!!!! Got to have waterproof pockets?? or make a cap for it. I saw somewhere the other day someone took the plastick ends of a pair of clamps and put them on a lighter to make it water proof. Was that here? One of those ends might fit on the blazer.

sudden

Post by sudden » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:48 am

Bfinnigan wrote:I did get my Blazer wet last week up in the mountains and it would not light. The moisture most likely shorted out the air gap for the piezo. So I will make a cap for the front of it and make sure I have my fire steel with me. The gas still flowed out fine but the piezo is very moisture sensitive.

It's a great lighter but it does have a weakness so I wanted to let everyone know. A fire steel will light it and the heat should dry up any moisture around the nozzle. Or I can just make sure not to drop it when out in the wilds.
Blazer makes the little buddy lighter. It has an integrated cap. It won't help if you get it wet after opening but should be better than an always open type. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTo9Kno1xSA

Another option is the "peanut lighter", it's not butane but you can drop it in water and still get it to light.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lidqk1dC ... r_embedded

sudden

Post by sudden » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:35 pm

This whole thing about lighters got me thinking. So I have a question.

Which alcohol stove... would be "the most likely" to light... from a spark? I think this is worth testing but I don't have a bunch of stoves.

if your matches got wet, and your lighter won't light, are you better off with a zippo type spark or peizo?

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:11 pm

sudden wrote:This whole thing about lighters got me thinking. So I have a question.

Which alcohol stove... would be "the most likely" to light... from a spark? I think this is worth testing but I don't have a bunch of stoves.

if your matches got wet, and your lighter won't light, are you better off with a zippo type spark or peizo?
The Fancee Feest will light if a fero rod is drawn accross the stainless steel pot support. Theres a video of it somewhere.

I think the zippo would light easier than the peizo.

Bfinnigan

Post by Bfinnigan » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:47 pm

The blazer did light with a fire steel spark, the moisture did not effect the gas flow. I always carry a fire steel anyway when out in the wilds. When it could mean my life I always have three separate fire sources. Just my survival knife alone has water proof matches and a fire steel with magnesium thermite.
Even a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day at the office.

sudden

Post by sudden » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:24 pm

I ended up buying 10 peanut lighter knockoffs as stocking stuffers for my smoking, hunting, hiking family members. Couldn't pass em up for $1.55

finn could probably make one with his eyes closed :)