SPARK-LITE Fire Starter

Useful information that may come in handy in an emergency situation. It can be hiking related or any other area of every day life situations. Icestorms, huricanes, tornados, floods etc.
zelph

Re: SPARK-LITE Fire Starter

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:45 pm

I've searched for an MSDS sheet on the tinder but there is none. I know it's treated cotton, thats all.

The spark unit has an extra large wheel compared to lighters.

The base of the striker is smooth, sealed plastic. It's meant to be a "one shot" item. Once the flint is worn out after 200 strikes you need to get a new one. They have refillable ones for $18.00 but I'm not going to offer that one.

I'm going to include some Vaseline impregnated jute twine with the kit for an extra means of tinder. You've seen my old video of how well it ignites with a spark. Guess I need to upgrade a video on it's use with a "true" video recording device. :D I'll show the base of the sparker in the video. It will be a before and after view.

The jute twine can be used to make a lanyard for it. I need to make it attachable. Give me some ideas howto :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:09 pm

Surgical tubing around the back end of the thing(the flintstick) makes it attachable to a lanyard.I don't know how fancy you want to get.If it's going to be in the case,a small eyebolt,waterproofed with silicone around the "through" portion.I still think you oughta try the weber firestarters..mix/match for starter options(people will want to try both)..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:18 pm

realityguy wrote:Surgical tubing around the back end of the thing(the flintstick) makes it attachable to a lanyard.I don't know how fancy you want to get.If it's going to be in the case,a small eyebolt,waterproofed with silicone around the "through" portion.I still think you oughta try the weber firestarters..mix/match for starter options(people will want to try both)..

I looked at the Weber yesterday online. What is the texture of the material and how does it smell when burning, any idea?

The tubing is good idea. A piece can be included for those that want to use the sparker all the time.

I have the idea to formulate my own tinder tabs. Need to do a test today.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:43 pm

Dan..PM
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:47 pm

Surgical tubing also burns well.

We used to carry it to snip it into chunks for firestarting material. I never used it.

I understand bicycle inner tubes burn well, also, and stink.

I would rather have a lanyard hole, but a "slipcase" of surgical tubing that has a lanyard hole might not be a bad idea. I have never had the flint wet, but the case is an appealing idea.

Look closely at my avatar: the orange-thingy is a SPARK-LITE.

I like the SPARK-LITE so much I have two on hand, in the event I misplace one.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:01 pm

I like the SPARK-LITE so much I have two on hand, in the event I misplace one.

Never can have too many stoves and spark makers. :D

I'm off to get some tubing.

sudden

Postby sudden » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:06 pm

This one has three, that may be enough to satisfy the craving for more :)
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:15 pm

I think we had those in chem lab. A little big to carry in a backpack, I think.

sudden

Postby sudden » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:35 pm

ConnieD wrote:I think we had those in chem lab. A little big to carry in a backpack, I think.

It does cross the more is better line by a fraction :mrgreen:
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:16 pm

I have some replacement flints for those torch lighter that will be included in my firestarter kits once I have gathered up items for it. Here is a photo of some of the stuff that will be in them.
Attachments
Spark-Lite Firestarter 003.jpg

Return to “Survival and Bushcrafts”