"survival challenge" anyone?

Useful information that may come in handy in an emergency situation. It can be hiking related or any other area of every day life situations. Icestorms, huricanes, tornados, floods etc.
zelph

Re: "survival challenge" anyone?

Postby zelph » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:58 pm

realityguy wrote:Well..he coulda shortened the video by ten minutes by taking out the word "horrible"... :roll:
I think I would have dumped a couple knives/tools he didn't use and packed a tent and bag instead and saved some weight.

You would think his son knew his dads likes and dislikes by now and gave him more food :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:46 pm

I am not sure what his son wanted "tested".

Maybe his dad's resourcefulness to find food?

Maybe he wanted to know how his dad would manage with "typical" survivalist's gear?

I read a lot at "other" forums about the usefulness of garbage bags and duct tape.

Maybe he wanted to find out what his dad would make with garbage bags? and duct tape?

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:57 am

His energies would have been better spent on making a leanto structure for weather protection. The plastic bags filled with leaves made into a blanket/covering to trap body heat. Piles of leaves/grass to lay on.

Like he says, he was on a survival "vacation" :D

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:26 am

I am not sure what his son wanted "tested
".

Maybe he just wanted a new boat for himself(get rid of dad)... :lol: I thought it was pretty hilarious that they considered a multi-tool(in case his machete or hatchet handle comes loose?),machete,hatchet,two lights,a hell of a lot of cookware,AND HEAVY KNIFE also as "survival gear"..What was he trying to "survive"..a war? :lol: The guy could have dumped 5-10lbs of that crap and replaced it with comfort like a tent and bag.
It appears his son has been taught the wrong "survival" lessons in my book...Maybe he figured his dad might have to go one on one with a man-eating crazed beaver... :shock:

I consider the video a 1 hour waste of my time...

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:28 pm

I like the fact he was honest.

However, I am convinced a "video response" is needed.

I don't know that I am the one to do it.

The "survival" video at YouTube are all: you have to "combat" dangerous nature.

I would rather see a "positive" presentation of "warm and comfortable emergency shelter" with a small fire and a using one of those "rescue sheets" as a reflector, maybe. Having a "minimalist kitchen" and easy to pack lightweight shelf stable "extra food" for an emergency. No granola bars.

I would like to see an ordinary looking town person, dressed in comfortable clothing and comfortable shoes that "just happens" to be fine for outdoors. There are plenty of "town-dress" looking down or synthetic vests, golf jackets, hats, and comfortable walking shoes. Maybe a "bookbag" day pack, or, perhaps a "waist pack".

His adolescent son dressed in urban camo military-style paint-ball gear, says: dad, I bet you couldn't "survive" in the woods for four days. Dad says, I'll take the challenge.

This "ordinary person" however has useful gear, everything works well, and, they turn their "ordeal" into "a walk in the park".

Show 3 nights and 4 days... if it rains, he says, good golf weather, and, I can get in shelter now and get some sack time, now, resting for the next thing I have to do. He makes a quick and easy shelter, and has a nap. He wakes, it is raining hard, and says, I think I will have a "cold camp" tonight. No point, fighting the weather. If it rains every day, he uses his little stove for a hot meal. He says, okay, I will wear this poncho, pulling down his poncho shelter and comments, I will "walk dry" my (nylon supplex) clothing while wearing my poncho (shelter). It is cold, where are those silk weight long johns. Surprising how warm they are, if you have some food and a decent bivy. I actually prefer a bivy. I can see the stars. Have a bug head net over your hat. Have gloves.

Make it really a surprise what useful gear he pulls out of a "day pack" or a "waist pack".

Make it really a surprise how fresh, relaxed, and well-fed and well-hydrated his dad is walking back to the road.

His adolescent son waiting at the car looks, head cocked over to one side, in disbelief.

Fini.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:20 pm

Survival for 4 days is to keep warm, avoid hypothermia and keep hydrated. We have enough calories stored in our bodies to survive 4 days. (at least I do) :lol:

Japans earthquake survivors made it without food and water for ? 7-8 days nothing to eat/drink

One of my favorite survival items is a 4 mil, 55gallon garbage bag. Instant shelter :geek:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:19 pm

Someone needs to make up a lightweight "survival kit" you can keep in your vehicle..without all the "bling"..and go out and use the thing..shelter/food/fire(wood and alcohol fuel)/water purification..and keep it light.

I would think something could be setup that weighs less than 10lbs,even carried in a small nylon bag w/ a shoulder strap instead of a full backpack(weight reduction).Something you could store in your car.
Suggestions(add what you think might be necessary):
2 space blankets
2-3 trash bags
minimal dry long term storage "subsistance" food (say for 3 days..suggestions?)
minimal cooking /eating supplies
water containers(clean and dirty)..aluminum bottle and bottled water bottle(lightweight)
2-3 types of firestarter/tinder..extra fuel(one bottle of heet?)?
minimal "weapons"..something for cutting branches,and a swiss army knife for the rest.
50-100 feet of lightweight cord
minimal directional equipment(compass) and FAK..
extras,clothing(socks? jacket?),lighting..

Say if your car got stuck in a ditch 15-20 miles up an old logging road and you needed to hike out because more than likely you wouldn't be found for a few days... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:00 am

I would say, approximately 20-inches long and 13-inches diameter "sport's duffle".

Like one of these? one flat pocket, zipper pockets on both ends, nice.
http://www.shirtsinbulk.com/product/Who ... fel_0_1183

Many men have a ballistics nylon attache:
http://www.parrottcanvas.net/Merchant2/ ... y_Code=AT1
Image 12H x 14.5 W X 4.5D (Expands to 7D)

If a golfer, or, other sports, a man may have a gym bag like this diver's duffle.
http://www.parrottcanvas.net/Merchant2/ ... y_Code=WS1
Image 13D x 30W

Surely not more than that is typical? Right?

I could put my entire backpack contents in one of those.

Let's pick one, pack it (virtually online) and guess at how comfortable, well-nourished and well-hydrated we could anticipate in a "survival" 3 nights and 4 days walk out to a paved road.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:52 am

Okay, let's start with my shelf stable "emergency food".

I go remote places. I generally keep my backpack packed for a week or two "emergency food".

I know I thrive on hot soups, and carbohydrates. Packaged Bear Creek brand potato soup, Alessi brand Tuscan bean soup, or packaged borscht can hold me over if I have "additions" like butter packets, packets of olive oil, and added freeze-dried vegetables like asparagus or okra.

I would take "instant" rice or couscous to thicken the soup to a stew-like consistency, and, cut up my one or two kinds of sausage for an especially substantial stew.

I would have "instant" grits, because I have had too many years of "instant" oatmeal packets, but I would have three oatmeal packets: one flavored and two plain to mix together for one quick breakfast.

I would have a something like Jiffy corn bread mix for "trail baking" just for morale. Am I baking corn bread? It is nice for my morale to have the "option".

When I "need" chocolate, I need chocolate: two to four packets of Rich Chocolate cocoa will do.

I know, from experience, I need protein and fat to be warm.

I would include packaged thuringer hard sausage and some Jack's beef sticks.

I know, from experience, that is too salty for me. I will "need" something sugary to offset the salt to add to my "purified" water. Jello as a drink, is sugary enough for my tastes. Real sugar, not artificial.

If moving fast, or, sleeping cold I know, from experience, I really need a Snickers bar. One.

I drink a lot of water, so different flavors Jello for flavor is helpful.

If I were staying out longer, I would have "cravings" for cheese, and so I would carry packaged tortellini and packaged pesto paste or pesto paste in a tube. I like angle hair pasta, for fast food. It is quite filling with pesto.

Fudge brownie mix and walnuts, if I am out for a week.

Emergencies can take more days than anticipated, so I would carry enough for a week.

If I had to be "out" two weeks, I would carry one of the Indian cuisine meals packaged in foil. I need a flavor boost, if I am out for two weeks.

Hopefully, this will get you thinking about it. What would you have?

oops56

Postby oops56 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:15 am

if you are stuck on a log trail dont leave stay there or just walk back out you are not lost
Man play with fire man get burnt

Return to “Survival and Bushcrafts”