Osprey Exos 58 Review...

Enter your review of an item you have personnaly used.
JBRanger

Osprey Exos 58 Review...

Postby JBRanger » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:41 pm

After a short jaunt with a large group (15+) this weekend I can say the Osprey is a pretty good pack. It is light at 2lbs, 3 ounces (not SUPER light like some of the 1lb or less options) but still not bad. Not to mention I really enjoy the trampoline style suspension on Osprey's and others packs. This pack has that as well as hip belt pockets (a feature I was also looking for).

Another feature that I really didn't know how it worked until I got on the trail was the Stow and go system for hiking poles. Basically you put your poles through an elastic loop and the buckets in a metal strap on the left side. This allows you to stash your poles and do other things such as take pictures, eat snacks while on the go, or just plain rest your arms. It worked great. I'm still sorting out how to be smoother with the placement of poles and what not but I got it to work fairly easily.

The top lid is just plain HUGE. I had MANY items in there and still had LOTS of room to spare.

The 2 vertical pockets along the centerline of the pack were ample as well. One held my TT Contrail, while the other held 2 MH meals, My cookkit (comprising of small Ti Cookpot, spork, Superstove setup including windscreen and fuel) and 2 styrofoam cups for warm drinks while at camp. These fairly much filled these pockets.

The interior well, again was HUGE! It swallowed a synthetic 0 degree bag (packs down to lil larger than large nalgene), sack of extra clothes, and a few other items.

All in all, I am EXTREMELY pleased with my purchase. Could it be lighter? Probably. But the features I wanted, at a light enough weight for me, are what sold me.

zelph

Re: Osprey Exos 58 Review...

Postby zelph » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:17 pm

I sure do like the looks of it. When it comes time to get a lighter pack I'm going to get the 58 :D and when I get some extra bucks :mrgreen:
Attachments
ospreyExos58.jpeg
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed May 19, 2010 8:59 pm

Osprey Exos 58
Approximate volume - 3,500 cubic inches
Approximate volume - metric 58 liters

synthetic 0 degree bag (packs down to lil larger than large nalgene)

Howzat? I have never believed those claims.

Maybe a Nalgene Jerrycan? http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/Se ... tegoryID=3
Nalgene 3L Reservoir? http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/de ... px?ID=1219
Nalgene Canteen 96 oz? http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=86
Nalgene 48 oz? http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=54
Nalgene 32 oz? http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/de ... px?ID=1240

I think of a Nalgene bottle, I think of 16 oz. Maybe 32 oz.

What 0 degree synthetic sleeping bag packed down to the size of a Nalgene bottle? 0 Celsius?

Credibilty problem :geek: That pack is practically a 60 liter pack and the 0 degree sleeping bag packs down to the size of a Nalgene.
Last edited by ConnieD on Wed May 19, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed May 19, 2010 10:07 pm

O degree Celcious may explain a synthetic bag compressing down "close" to a 32oz. Nalgene bottle in size and probably much fatter. ;) I don't see it happening with a 0*F bag. :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed May 19, 2010 10:09 pm

Me either.

The geek :geek: wants facts.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed May 19, 2010 10:17 pm

If you take your kirby vacuum cleaner with you hiking.... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed May 19, 2010 10:22 pm

Good luck getting the loft back in it after the Kirby gets done with it. To get back on topic,the Osprey pack sounds like a descent pack ! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed May 19, 2010 10:27 pm

I don't know... I think we need JBRanger to "tidy up" his story a bit.

Less than 2.5 lb. pack for basically a 60 liter pack is impressive, yes. But his claims, we need veracity!

Pictures.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed May 19, 2010 11:52 pm

I packed up my second golite to leave ready at the peninsula..came in around 20lbs.. :o ..but there's a lot I can dump before "hike" day.I needed to make sure I have enough for one or two depending on the day..other than shelter and bag.
I think a "60" bag I could sleep in! :lol:
This is a pack i haven't used yet,only has one lower mesh pocket on each side..instead of the other with two.I might be sewing on some more mesh pockets.....
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Thu May 20, 2010 11:52 am

Doh! Seems I'm being called out. Just now seeing this post.

32 ounce nalgene and sleeping bag.

Like I said, a lil LARGER than.... geez. Yea, it's 0 degree Farenheit. I never said Celsius. Farenheit is what most temps are measured in here in the SE. I have had the sleeping bag down to 5 degrees FARENHEIT here in Georgia. That is about as cold as it gets here. That was with a Thermarest pad and wearing 2 layers. I was toasty warm. Again, the bag can be had for around 65$.

The backpack is still awesome. Yes, it is QUITE large. I've read reports that it is larger than a 58 and more like 60-62L. Still for the weight it's not bad at all. Could I go lighter? Oh most definitely! But to have the features that I like and the size I like, this pack just works for me. I wish it was more tacti-cool colors but hey, deer season in Georgia is no joke. LOL!

Does that cover everyone's needs?? ;)

Return to “Equipment Reviews”