VIDEO: Victorinox Climber

Enter your review of an item you have personnaly used.
Arson

VIDEO: Victorinox Climber

Postby Arson » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:45 am

My new EDC. I've loved Swiss Army Knives for years, and it's nice to have a new one in my pocket.

zelph

Re: VIDEO: Victorinox Climber

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:10 am

It's interesting they still have the cork removal tool on them. Wine bottles with corks must still be very popular around the world.

Feels nice to have such fine piece of equipment in your hands. They sure are made to last a lifetime. Thanks for the video.

I'm amazed at the quality of the scissors and how well they work as fingernail clippers. They work well in either hand. You are left handed and maybe you can tell us how they work for "lefties" ;)

My wife says she has the cheap knock off from the big box store and then laughed alot :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JesterJosev

Postby JesterJosev » Sat May 05, 2012 10:55 pm

The thing I like about the Victorinox collection is the consistant quality that they have shown over the years. The climber here has a pretty good selection of tools on it. I wonder what the little hook thing is for? I recently picked up a Spyderco Delica Wave, and I don't know if I would ever go for a different opening system for a folding knife.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat May 05, 2012 11:37 pm

I believe the little hook has to do with bird hunting, maybe gutting small game and trout.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sun May 06, 2012 7:00 am

the hook i think to weave fishing nets also to help take out knots on ropes
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun May 06, 2012 7:41 am

I found these uses on the web
"You can use this implement as a package hook, to turn your knife into a handle that will help you to carry a parcel that is wrapped in string. You can also attach a string to the hook, and turn your Swiss Army knife into a plumb bob or cat toy. On occasion, you might also use it to pull a thread or line through a tight spot-- it can be handy when you are splicing a rope, or stuffing electrical wires into a junction box.

Hook – 1) Untie knots. Just dig the hook into a part of the knot and pull. The smooth metal polish on the hook should allow the string to slide through as the knot unravels. 2) Tighten boot laces — instead of jamming your finger beneath a lace, just use the hook… good for hiking when the boot needs to be extra tight (like when walking down hill)."
I also read it can be used as a hook degorger for removing fishing hooks and to dig out a stone in a horses shoe.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun May 06, 2012 8:15 am

Also found this
"Best Answer

The hook is called the multi-purpose hook and serves multiple purposes, as they do.
The picking locks function wasn't mentioned in your Q so perhaps you meet only honest or ...err, secretive people.
Legitimate lock-picking though is sometimes necessary as when the key to the bureau is lost and the tax forms deadline is fast approaching.
As a fishing aid it is extremely useful. You can hook it through a fish's jaw and carry the fish like a strung parcel.
It is an elegant way to carry a fish, and if the fish is a fifteen pound salmon it is a delight to be seen calmly parading along the main street with it swinging gently in the breeze with an air of supremecy as a fiften pound salmon does so well when carried with the aid of a Victorinox Multipurpose Hook.
For disgorging deep hooks in fish and from the gullets of seagulls after such a bird has made a daring swoop on the bait before it hits the water I use a pair of long Spencer-Wells forceps but the Victorinox Multi-purpose Hook can be very useful for keepng the beak wide open in seagulls and for pulling a hook backwards fom the fish's mouth by inserting the multipurpose hook through the gills.
Forward extraction of the fishing hook is made quite inconvenient by the geometry of the Victorinox Mulipurpose hook, as is the use of the hook as a replacement or substitute for a sharpened fishing hook for fishing unless a multitude of tools is also opened out on the knife and allowed to gleam in the water like a multitentacled silvery baby octupus, and the quarry is an inexperienced but fully grown cod or marlin for which the opened tools will act as useful accessories to the hook when lodged firmly in the gut of the fish in allowing the fish to be successfully hauled to the boat of a smiling and eager fisherman.
Equine uses for the hook are numerous, from pulling teeth and unknotting knotted manes to cleaning the rims of spoiled horseshoes after a morning's riding in the marshes.
Inspection of horseshoes cleaned by a Victorinox Multipurpose Hook have shown the extreme usefulnes of the implement, especially on days following heavy rains resulting in the few dry passages through the marshes being rendered no longer dry.
The hook is also very useful for hanging Victorinox knives from small branches of trees in the wilderness or from nails or screws in a wall.
A Victorinox knife is conveniently already fitted to the hook by the manufacturer to make the task very much easier for the user."

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun May 06, 2012 9:40 am

Another use is to pick up the hot bail on your cook pot ;) wow, this hook has more uses than one might first surmise :lol:

I carry a Wenger SwissBuck Globetrotter knife that I bought at a yard sale for a buck. This knife was a result of a joint venture with Wenger and Buck knives. I figure not much invested if I lose it and have come to really love it and use it all the time. If I find a nice sheath, I believe I would carry my Victorinox Champ. Otherwise, it is too heavy and bulky for the pants pocket.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun May 06, 2012 7:59 pm

WoW!!!! that hook has more uses than ??????? I don't think there is anything that has more use :?

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun May 06, 2012 8:07 pm

JesterJosev wrote:The thing I like about the Victorinox collection is the consistant quality that they have shown over the years. The climber here has a pretty good selection of tools on it. I wonder what the little hook thing is for? I recently picked up a Spyderco Delica Wave, and I don't know if I would ever go for a different opening system for a folding knife.

I do like the ability to open this knife withe the aid of your pocket as shown in several photos on this page link....take a look

http://www.google.com/search?q=spyderco ... 93&bih=538

Return to “Equipment Reviews”