White Box Stove Review

Enter your review of an item you have personnaly used.
Ridgerunner

White Box Stove Review

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:43 pm

I recieve my WhiteBox stove yesterday and just wanted to report my first impressions. When I opened the box, I was surprised to see a heat deflector and windscreen included. Thanks Bill. Upon looking the stove over, the first thing I noticed was the fine craftsmanship the went into buiding this stove. Unlike the one Oops was using, this one had no rivets in the sides. Oops might have an older model. The top edge has a very nice rolled inward lip that gives the stove a very clean appearance. There is a line etched on the inner fill wall so you don't over fill it. Before I did any testing, I poured in 3/4 ounce of denatured alcohol to see if it duplicated the nice blue flame that Bill advertises with. It was just as nice as the photo Bill posted here. The one thing I noticed was that it took almost 90 seconds to blume out. Today, I did a bench test in the "Lab" using a K-Mart Grease pot and two cups of 50 degree tap water. I wanted to see if it could meet the optimum desired standards that we strive for. I went right for the jugular and instead of using the recommended amount of fuel, I went with 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol. I swirled it around a bit as I am not sure if the White Box uses a wicking material but I believe it does. I put the flame to it and watched it fire up through the fill chamber. At the 75 second mark, the side jets lit up and I set the pot on the stove. I did not use the windsreen in the 'Lab" but did use the base heat reflector. At the five minute mark(in addition to the 75 second blume time) the bubbles started to work their way to the top and at the 5:30, the White Box had a rolling boil going. The flame only lasted another 15 seconds before going out for a total burn time of 7 minutes. I was very impressed with the performance of the White BoX stove and will recommend it to anyone interested in a quality side burner stove. I believe an external sleeve might work to create a simmer mode on this stove. I will have to work on that one. I will be taking it on several excursions in the next month to test its trail worthiness but I suspect it will do fine. I will add to this review at a later time. At this time, I give the White Box Stove an A + ;) :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Allen

Re: White Box Stove Review

Postby Allen » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:20 pm

Thanks for the review Ridgerunner!

Does it require a priming disk? I think oops56 added a priming wick to his.

Cheers!

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:37 am

No priming disk is needed. Zelph, it bloomed in 75 seconds on my second and third test, A priming wick on the outside probably would meke the jets blume alot sooner . I was very pleased with its performance on 1/2 ounce of Denatured alcohol. If you put a primer wick on the outside, you might not be able to use a simmer wrap. I will test it using a can bottom for a primer an see if the jets take off any sooner, lighting just the outside.

Bill, is it ok to print the instructions here?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

Allen

Postby Allen » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:58 pm

Thanks Ridgerunner!
It's a nice looking stove :)

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:08 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:

No priming disk is needed. Zelph, it bloomed in 75 seconds on my second and third test, A priming wick on the outside probably would meke the jets blume alot sooner . I was very pleased with its performance on 1/2 ounce of Denatured alcohol. If you put a primer wick on the outside, you might not be able to use a simmer wrap. I will test it using a can bottom for a primer an see if the jets take off any sooner, lighting just the outside.

Bill, is it ok to print the instructions here?

Bloom time for the beer bottle stoves need to come down alot more. The supercat blooms in 15 seconds. Let me check out the new one we got listed here from the montana stoveworks. Bill, where are you? wee need some input :)

Edited to add Montana stoveworks bloom time: up to 70 seconds. Thats a long time. The beer bottle stoves need to come down. Need to make them cold weather friendly. Just my opinion.

Just a note: heat deflectors are needed also, one extra part to carry.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:55 pm

Alright guys, I did a quick test on the White Box between errands. It takes me awhile to get all my gear together for may hunting trips so I had to run and get hunting and fishing license along with a turkey tag.
I added a primer pan to the Whites Box and set her ablaze. It blumes out in 22 seconds. I have not had time to make a simmer wrap for it but hope to get one together before I leave this weekend. ;)

billinmt

Postby billinmt » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:56 pm

Back again.... I don't get a lot of computer time some weeks....

Printing the instructions is fine with me.

Flame bluming takes awhile but that is because of the thickness of the stove material. You can use the small square heat shield as a priming plate but pinching it at the four corners and turning up the edges. It will bloom in less than 30 seconds that way. You could add a wick to it too. My only problem with both of these systems is I shy away from pouring hard to see liquid fuel all around. You never know what hazard that might cost. Fill the stove, light it and let it do it's thingy. Pretty simple even for me....hahaha

There is obviously some "give and take" with this stove. It takes longer to bloom but because of the thicker material but at the same time it is a whole lot stronger than any pop can stove that I've ever seen. You ever try to put 300 pounds on a cat stove or pop can stove?????

For an old Montana guy that had very little experience with stove building I think it is a pretty good product, that is easy to use and covers a lot of different situations.

Bill in MT

oops56

Postby oops56 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:29 am

billinmt wrote:Back again.... I don't get a lot of computer time some weeks....

Printing the instructions is fine with me.

Flame bluming takes awhile but that is because of the thickness of the stove material. You can use the small square heat shield as a priming plate but pinching it at the four corners and turning up the edges. It will bloom in less than 30 seconds that way. You could add a wick to it too. My only problem with both of these systems is I shy away from pouring hard to see liquid fuel all around. You never know what hazard that might cost. Fill the stove, light it and let it do it's thingy. Pretty simple even for me....hahaha

There is obviously some "give and take" with this stove. It takes longer to bloom but because of the thicker material but at the same time it is a whole lot stronger than any pop can stove that I've ever seen. You ever try to put 300 pounds on a cat stove or pop can stove?????

For an old Montana guy that had very little experience with stove building I think it is a pretty good product, that is easy to use and covers a lot of different situations.

Bill in MT

Yep no see alcohol just put some drops of food coloring in you bottle i like green
Man play with fire man get burnt

billinmt

Postby billinmt » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:04 am

"Yep no see alcohol just put some drops of food coloring in you bottle i like green"

Food coloring works great for alcohol. Only problem is how about all those people who just flew into an airport and had to buy fuel at the nearest BPing store or gas station and don't have food coloring. I still suggest it is much safer all the way around not to pour liquid fuels outside of the stove. Having an non-contained fire just doesn't sit well with me especially when you consider all the variables in the outdoors when you are preparing a meal.

Another thought. How much fuel is used while the 75 second bloom is taking place versus the amount of fuel you just poured onto a primer plate or wick. Probably not a whole lot of difference in fuel consumption. And if you can't wait for an extra 40 or 50 seconds to start cooking maybe you should just have a cold meal instead and save another 30 seconds. JMO

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:11 am

billinmt wrote:"Yep no see alcohol just put some drops of food coloring in you bottle i like green"

Food coloring works great for alcohol. Only problem is how about all those people who just flew into an airport and had to buy fuel at the nearest BPing store or gas station and don't have food coloring. I still suggest it is much safer all the way around not to pour liquid fuels outside of the stove. Having an non-contained fire just doesn't sit well with me especially when you consider all the variables in the outdoors when you are preparing a meal.

Another thought. How much fuel is used while the 75 second bloom is taking place versus the amount of fuel you just poured onto a primer plate or wick. Probably not a whole lot of difference in fuel consumption. And if you can't wait for an extra 40 or 50 seconds to start cooking maybe you should just have a cold meal instead and save another 30 seconds. JMO

While your waiting for it to bloom, hold your pot of water over the priming flame. don't waste the heat :mrgreen:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Equipment Reviews”