White Box Stove Review

Enter your review of an item you have personnaly used.
billinmt

Re: White Box Stove Review

Postby billinmt » Sat May 17, 2008 6:33 pm

Sam I am all smiles most of the time with the stove and the compliments I receive. I'm also smiling because my oldest daughter is getting married in early June. Woo Hoo as she is the last one at home. Now we'll be empty nested and can head to Glacier NP or the Bob Marshall Wilderness when I feel like it.

Bill in MT

oops56

Postby oops56 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:30 pm

[quoteI got one for xmas and wont start in cold weather. I need to find a place to buy the fire proof string to wrap around it to make it work. Will the yarn work that oops uses?[/quote]

Juest put a can cover under it bigger then your stove put alcohol round edge light it
Man play with fire man get burnt

billinmt

Postby billinmt » Wed May 21, 2008 5:17 pm

oops56 wrote:
I got one for xmas and wont start in cold weather. I need to find a place to buy the fire proof string to wrap around it to make it work. Will the yarn work that oops uses?

Juest put a can cover under it bigger then your stove put alcohol round edge light it

All you need to do is fold up the edges of the heat shield so it will hold a little fuel. Pour in a few drops and light it. My stove started at 8 degrees below zero with this method. When the weather is cold your fuel is probably cold too. It takes longer to heat the fuel for the stove to blossom properly in cold weather. Always be sure that in cold weather you take extra fuel because most stoves aren't as efficient in the cold.

Bill in MT

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed May 21, 2008 6:20 pm

Bill, I just got back from the Smokies and took the WBS and Starlyte with me along with a frying pan for fish(never caught any) and pancakes and a Heinepot and new Kettle to use with the WBS. No scientific numbers this time but the WBS worked flawlessly, even in windy, drizzling conditions. I took a 20 oz. bottle of Alky so fuel was no issue. The first time I put 3/4 ounce of fuel in the stove and cranked her up. I knew my water was boiling when the steam started pouring out the spout. Then before i got the kettle off the burner, the kettle lid comes flying off from the boiling water pressure. :lol: I'm very satisfied with the WBS's performance. Both stoves worked very well and we ate like Kings ! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:31 pm

I have a question about this this type of stove. It seems that I read somewhere that someone made a simmer device for this type. Can anyone remember of such a simmer device being mentioned here on bplite? My grey matter has turned white :lol:

I'm thinking it was a slide up ring that covered a predetermined amount of holes/jets. Was it darenN?

Maybe it was in a dream!!!!!

Those of you that have some time make a slide-up ring to see if it works. :geek:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Mags

Postby Mags » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:03 pm

I've been using this stove now for the past three trips, and hope to use it again this weekend.

Initially, I thought "hmm..seems kinda heavy", then I thumped myself on the head and thought "But, no pot stand is needed".

Anyway, I've been pleased with this stove; I find letting the fuel burn a little bit then placing my pot on the stove really makes this thing hum.

FWIW, I use a big 2 qt cookpot (big mouth ??!?!!? :D..and it is NOT the one shown earlier in the thread) and it worked well with it.

I just may have to add it to my colorful gear commentary. ;)
The true harvest of my life is intangible.... a little stardust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched
--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:36 pm

I just may have to add it to my colorful gear commentary

Paint it red first :D

Are you using denatured alcohol in it and if yes is it blackening the bottom your pot?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:16 am

zelph wrote:I have a question about this this type of stove. It seems that I read somewhere that someone made a simmer device for this type. Can anyone remember of such a simmer device being mentioned here on bplite? My grey matter has turned white :lol:

I'm thinking it was a slide up ring that covered a predetermined amount of holes/jets. Was it darenN?

Maybe it was in a dream!!!!!

Those of you that have some time make a slide-up ring to see if it works. :geek:

I recall that idea being mentioned and I think you nailed it on the head I think darenN. If I recall he had pictures posted. Hell of an idea just haven't done it yet I've been a little lax with my tinkering since I moved. I think a lot of it has to do with I'm outside doing stuff because I'm not trapped in the city no more but I'm imprisoned technologically by the Damn dial up! I still stop by every once in a while and see what's going on but this dial up crap is so slow I never get to watch movies anymore and Pics are an iffy thing now adays! Glad to see you all and say hello again!
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:29 am

hi guys;
i don't know nothin' from no white box. never even tried to copy it, although i did get ahold of some of the bottles. they reside in a cardboard box under my drafting table awaiting the muse of inspiration. it was i that came up with the sliding simmerring sleeve for Zelphs Fantasy Feets stove. maybe that's what you are thinking of?

(nice to see you again, Mayhem!)

Daren.........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:46 am

but I'm imprisoned technologically by the Damn dial up! I still stop by every once in a while and see what's going on but this dial up crap is so slow I never get to watch movies anymore and Pics are an iffy thing now adays! Glad to see you all and say hello again!

I can relate BIG TIME ! Stop by your public library and catch up. Load files on a flash card to save or transmit pics and videos files. ;) If you have a laptop (not me) , you can YFi at a coffee shop or Panera type place. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Equipment Reviews”