why choose a ul backpack?

Discuss commercial internal/external packs you have used and give your likes and dislikes.
DarenN

Re: why choose a ul backpack?

Postby DarenN » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:10 pm

chaco taco wrote:I am considering the Six Moon Traveller or the ULA Circuit. My gear is all UL besides my pack. I have a Nimbus Meridian but am think of going down to a 2 pound pack. WIll I lose durability if I go to a UL Pack?????

hi Chaco Taco! welcome aboard!!

the ULA Circuit is very well spoken of.
certainly, you will lose durability, but if you are aware of the fact and don't go butt-sliding down a scree field you'll be fine. heavier packs like my Z55 and Eureka 35 have a heavey cordura bottom that is very wear resistant. UL packs don't.

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

JesterJosev

Postby JesterJosev » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:30 pm

:arrow: Sorry for resurecting this thread, but I found it to be interesting*

I like the idea of the UL, but I fear for the fate of arm chair hikers. One of the reason I like this forum, is its brimming with outdoors people who are adept both in practical skills, and theoretical knowledge. As they say "Knowing is half the battle.", but doing is the other half (not counting beer, beer is 5% of the battle :cheers: ). All joking aside, there has to be a balance when it comes to ultralight. It has been shown that people can be very resourceful, and the more abilities and knowledge that they have the less gear they can do with. I just worry that some folks will over estimate their practical skills and knowledge, and be unsafe out in the wilderness.

I'm new to concious backpacking, as opposed to pack all the "usuals" in my backpack and run along hoping for the best. My perspective has changed from defensive, to active awareness. This philosophy fits in with the backpacks that I have I have. For the multiple night journeys where they geography isn't very technical I have the MEC Brio 60 which weights in at about 6 pounds. That being said I'm now more aware that the journeys that are technical require more agility and dexterity, and of course depending on distance and other factors such as weather, ect. a light pack will allow me to be more agile and manouverable on the trail. Lets take that same logic and hyperbolate it though, if the distance is long, and the consumable needs are greater, then allowing for more weight and therefore a larger pack is within reason. Just a few thoughts.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:16 am

My backpacking is only overnights due to time restrictions and I only use a couple 2lb go-lites for those.I do usually line the go-lite with my pad and throw everything inside that for more support and comfort against my back...or tie it on outside the packs.
When you return from a trip..analyze what you actually used and didn't use after the trip as you empty your pack.You'll learn that you really didn't need or use a lot of items so could have left them at home and not missed them.Over time you'll get to know what isn't necessary for each type of trip.I find a lot of items are duplicates of other items located in multi-tools or some other combos for firestarters(like packing 4 different methods of firestarting instead of only two.. :lol: ),etc.
My day hike pack weighs only 1lb because I need even less for that length of trip and could get by on an overnight with that,depending on if I have to pack water or not..even more stays at home.If the wife goes,we eliminate even more between our 2 packs..but do keep essential survival gear in each pack..Some items are necessary,even if you don't use them on each trip.
I do keep separate "kitchen setups" in each pack.usually on day trips we only press coffee and boil water so don't need items for baking and other luxuries for the "kitchen". Usually if the wife goes,she makes sandwiches and other cold food,packs plenty of trail mix and goodies.She packs most of the food(bear bait.. :lol: ) and I pack essentials for an emergency overnight and water,and some goodies..besides the cooking/eating items.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:44 am

I haven't worn-out my Lowe Alpine 50 and Lowe Alpine Summit pack, one packed inside the other for short hikes from the campsite, my pack of choice for bulky snow and ice items.

The only backpacks I have ever broken down are a Boy Scout Yucca packframe made of wood, a Kelty Tioga frame, and a Alice military packframe. In addition, a Black Diamond rock climbers pack made of interior-coated Cordura had the interior delaminate (no, I did not put it away wet), and so, I have no packframes and no coated Cordura packs on my website. I also have no Gortex, another fabric that rapidly breaks down.

http:ultralightbackpackingonline.info youtube: backpackinonline

In fact, I have an entire website with only sturdy equipment and no backpack over 2.5 lbs.

I recommend a 40-liter volume pack for most situations.

I made the website to help insure safety for ultralighters, I didn't want to be troubled to have to rescue.

I am updating my Products webpages, right now, for proven equipment recommendations for next season.

Otherwise, the website is pretty much updated right now.

Right now, I like the Equinox ARAS Eagle pack for 17-19" torso backpackers for "high volume" and also for reducing the size of the pack for a smaller volume load. The Osprey EXOS 46 is another nice bigger pack for longer torso backpackers. Either pack weighs less than 2.5 lbs.

Why UL?

I like to hike head-up and enjoy the surroundings.

My usual backpacking is 5-nights and on up to 10-days: 1.5-2 lbs food per day.

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:23 am

I bought a Osprey Exos 58 based on ConnieD and many others opinion. I like it. For me, the I knew I wanted the trampoline back as it keeps my back cool in the summer. It's also large enough to hold all my winter kit plus some. I still haven't COMPLETELY filled it on any one trip but my trips are typically only a single overnighter. It's comfortable to 25 lbs or so but after that the combo of the shape of the pack with vented backpanel (puts pack further away) and lighter weight foam straps cause the pack to become "wobbly". Still not uncomfortable perse, but just feels weird. Like wearing a jello backpack. LOL!

So with that said, I think I could actually use a smaller pack. I've also found I like more military-ish designs. This unfortunately TYPICALLY means more weight, yet more robust packs. Is that a trade I'm willing to make? I don't know. I'm on the fence about it. I understand lighter packs AND subsequently lighter loads make life on the trail much nicer. Still, people like what they are going to like.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:44 am

Too many choices hanging on retailers walls..................I'm sooooo confused :shock: :mrgreen:

Trial and error is what I do best :o
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:01 pm

It is difficult, trial-and-error.

That is how I have my "too much gear" video. Money spent, I will never get back again.

The only lightweight pack that carries a heavy load, I know for sure, is McHale Popcan P&G. The heavier capacity weight reasonably lightweight packs are usually made for carrying "iron" for rock climbers and other mountainclimbers.

I mention very little about my mountainclimbing experience and recommendations because I believe that information should be in a several weeks long class: lectures during the week and weekends in-the-field. I do have something about crevasses and snow caves because I saw wrong information online. That's it.

If maximum carry capacity isn't listed, I would use the "contact" email on the website.

I recommend the Osprey Exos 34, Exos 46 on my website. I did not recommend Osprey Exos 58. It can get "wobbly".

For backpacking, balance is essential. Maybe most of the hike is on a groomed trail where you are? But there is the stream crossing. There can be a fallen log to go over or under. There may be some scrambling. There can be exposure to a fall.

I spend an enormous amount of time going over the current product offerings, worldwide, recommending only the best-suited products. The websites make it more difficult, by frequently changing their links. The manufacturers know when a product is a winner, but they want to sell all the other stuff. Of course, some of the other stuff may be great for a different purpose. My website focusses on UL and lightweight gear.

I point out, from the start, look at the features - "it isn't always necessary to purchase the brand name item."

The vented back on Deuter and Osprey Exos and Lowe Alpine Air Zone Centro packs is a great feature, but "fit" is essential. Even with the "fitting expert" present and bags of weight I carry added, neither pack "fit" me. I am still looking for one size they sell that fits me.

Meanwhile, Lowe Alpine "upgraded" the Lowe Alpine 50 series pack and sold me an add-on for my pack I hand-stitched on some big and strong velcro they provided: now, I have an adjustable custom-fit somewhat more ventilated back on my big Lowe Alpine 50.

I don't sell anything at my website, or have click-thru's either. I accept no advertising. I do not have manufacturer's sending me gear for testing. I am adding more video, and more pictures, but I have to be careful about other's copyright even though I have a no direct or indirect income from the website: people can be so nasty about that. Usually, it is the other way: I get "ripped off" mostly by a national magazine or big stores. I have also had two manufacturers "rip off" my designs, so I no longer discuss "new design" or "improvements". One is selling his "patented" item everywhere. It is too bad people are like that. I have so much more to offer.

Nevertheless, I keep making available my "decades of experience" actually spending more days in a year outside than indoors, hopefully, to benefit others so they can get-it-right for themselves without "giving up" or having to purchase the same gear item until they get-it-right for themselves by trial-and-error.

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:34 pm

Thank you Connie for all that you do! :)

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:03 pm

Sorry, to hear about the Exos 58. It is still a comfortable pack, for you, if limited to 25 lbs then?

I like to carry a 20-25 lb. pack, if I can.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:58 am

ConnieD wrote:It is difficult, trial-and-error.

That is how I have my "too much gear" video. Money spent, I will never get back again.

Connie, you might consider selling some of the gear you don't use anymore to recoup some of your expenditures and free up some storage space ;) By the way, your lightweightbackpacking link is not working :?:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “BACKPACKS”