Solar cooker

Know of a stove that has some Character about it for one reason or another, post it here.
churro

Re: Solar cooker

Postby churro » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:02 pm

I just put out one of my older cookers with a pot containing some fresh pineapple, onions, bell pepper, garlic, ginger, green chile and soy sauce, topped with 6 chicken thighs. The top of the pot became to hot to hold my finger on it within 10 minutes. I'll let this one cook all day, but around 1:30 I'll start a pot of spanish rice in the new cooker I made, to test it out. Here's hoping for clear, still weather!

churro

Postby churro » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:29 pm

Thanks, Mr. Heater. I am not totally convinced that the crinkly appearance is due to solvents. I tested the glue first, and got no reaction. I think it may be due more to the unevenness of the substrate and my application method. I still like the idea of a less aggressive adhesive, though. Mylar might be more reactive, we'll see. I plan on making several more of these, and testing methods and materials.

In any case, it is working fine. I got the spanish rice on at about 1:20, and it seems to be cooking fine. The onliest problem I have now is that my wife wo'nbe ready for dinner until several hours after this is done. Re-heat in the microwave? Keep warm until dinner? Not really a problem, I guess... dinner is out of the way :DB:

churro

Postby churro » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:29 pm

Well, the meal turned out good. The chicken was excellent- tender, flavorful, delicious. The rice was also good, though a little overcooked. I should have brought the liquid to a boil before I added the rice, I think. This reflector is a little finicky- Needs a little tuning now and again to gather the heat properly. It's too wide, as I suspected, but does work, with tending.

As for keeping warm to serve, i just left them in the sun. As the sun got lower, so did the cooking temp, but it stayed warm long enough to serve a piping-hot dinner to my wife. Mission accomplished 8-)

churro

Postby churro » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:12 am

Nice! I wish I had a woodstove to cook on... I suppose that since use sunlight to grow your rig is technically "solar"- not so off topic, considered that way :D

churro

Postby churro » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:47 pm

Tools and other stuff laying around the house- $0
That cardboard box my wife keeps telling me to throw out- $0
Spray adhesive salvaged through the county landfill re-use program- $0
Plans downloaded from the internets (http://sunnycooker.webs.com/links.htm)- $0
The fun I'll have cooking in it... Priceless (er, literally :lol: ).
IMG_4822.JPG

churro

Postby churro » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:43 pm

'Member that pile of cardboard my wife told me to throw out? I disguised it as something useful, so it can continue to clutter our house.
IMG_4826.JPG

I followed the plans for the "suntastic cooker" on the sunnycooker website faithfully. The pic shows a sun's-eye point of view, and you can see reflections of the pot in every panel, plus a little room so you don't have to adjust it but every 40 minutes or more. It Has a high-sun-angle setting and another setting for low-sun-angle (the pic is in high setting). Teong Tan, the designer, claims it will cook fairly well even without a greenhouse enclosure around the pot. It's definitely much bigger than the fun-panels I have been using. I want to try it with a pyrex enclosure and a cast iron dutch oven :twisted:

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:26 pm

Teong Tan, the designer, claims it will cook fairly well even without a greenhouse enclosure around the pot. It's definitely much bigger than the fun-panels I have been using. I want to try it with a pyrex enclosure and a cast iron dutch oven :twisted:

Whoooo!!!! turned out nicer than we imagined :D

Here in central CA we are expecting temps in the 90's , full sun all day. You should be having the same weather soon and then get the cooker out and the cast iron and go for the "chef's delight" :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

churro

Postby churro » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:23 pm

I tried out the cooker with a heavy 10" cast iron dutch oven, no greenhouse enclosure and a tight-fitting pyrex lid. It got hot enough that water dripped onto the bottom of the pan immediately sizzled away. Then I tried it with a large pyrex bowl topped with the turntable from a big microwave as the lid, with a cast iron pot inside. I cooked up some wild rice in just over an hour that went well with some braised pork chops.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri May 01, 2015 1:52 pm

How much water and rice were in the bowl an d did it come to a rolling boil or just simmer?

You got a cool set up going for you there. Easy way to cook efficiently.

Read a little about helio mirror concentrators to produce steam for power. Yesterday we passed by this three tower energy generating power plant in the Mohave Desert. It was awesome to see this spectacular sight during full sunlight.

Ivanpah Solar Power Facility[edit]

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=iv ... r+facility

Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System with all three towers under load, Feb 2014. Taken from I-15
The 392 MW Ivanpah Solar Power Facility, located 40 miles (64 km) southwest of Las Vegas, is the world’s largest solar-thermal power plant project which became fully operational on February 13, 2014.[22] BrightSource Energy received a $1.6 billion loan guarantee from the United States Department of Energy to build the project, which deploys 347,000 heliostat mirrors focusing solar energy on boilers located on centralized solar power towers. In February 2012, Ivanpah was awarded the CSP (Concentrating Solar Power) Project of the Year by Solar Power Generation USA.[23]
Attachments
Solar Panel.png
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

churro

Postby churro » Fri May 01, 2015 9:44 pm

zelph wrote:How much water and rice were in the bowl an d did it come to a rolling boil or just simmer?

You got a cool set up going for you there. Easy way to cook efficiently.

Read a little about helio mirror concentrators to produce steam for power. Yesterday we passed by this three tower energy generating power plant in the Mohave Desert. It was awesome to see this spectacular sight during full sunlight.

It was a package of wild rice and grains from Trader Joe's, and I just followed the directions: 1 cup rice to 2 1/2 cups water (though I used chicken stock), plus a little butter and salt. I put the dry pan in first for about 20 minutes to preheat, then added the stock. After about 30 minutes it was boiling maybe halfway between a simmer and a rolling boil. Then I added the rice and left for about an hour to get other things done. When I came back, the greenhouse enclosure was coated in precipitation and the sun had moved enough that the temp was dropping. In the past I have found that precipitation on the greenhouse enclosure usually means rice is done. I brought it in and found the rice was perfect. I reheated it later for dinnertime, but could easily have just cooked it later (now that the days are longer) or reheated it by simply leaving it where it was and then turning the solar cooker to catch some late afternoon sun.

Thanks for the info on helio mirror concentrators. Dovetails with some plans I've been mulling. I found a way to make fresnel parabolic mirrors with readily available materials and tools I have- stay tuned!

Return to “Stoves With Character”