DIY boats

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
Ridgerunner

Re: DIY boats

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:57 pm

DarenN wrote:that boat has three hatches. if you look back at the pic of the boat on the wall, you can see them. the hatch covers are held on by a system of bungie cords and hooks from the inside. each hatch is it's own sealed, water-tight compartment.

Daren........

Duh, I should have looked back. I missed the one hanging from the ceiling in the last pic. :roll: Looks like you are a boat building machine.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:28 pm

the boat hanging from the ceiling is a Pygmy kit that a freind was building himself, useing my shop. i pre-empted him on a few weekends so i could get that strip-built finished and out of my life forever.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:18 am

What is the little hatch near the cockpit for? I haven't seen that b4, not that I've seen a lot of kayaks or anything. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:54 am

Pure Mahem wrote:What is the little hatch near the cockpit for? I haven't seen that b4, not that I've seen a lot of kayaks or anything. :mrgreen:

My guess would be either a drink holder, a place for your wallet and keys, or a miniture livewell ! :lol: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:48 am

Pure Mahem wrote:What is the little hatch near the cockpit for? I haven't seen that b4, not that I've seen a lot of kayaks or anything. :mrgreen:

it's called a "day hatch" and can be found on a lot of production kayaks these days. a small compartment that can be reached while on the water. theoreticaly.

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:33 am

Thanks for clearing that up for me. If I build one I'll have to put two in one for a cup holder and one for a live well. :lol: :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:17 pm

DarenN wrote:

it's called a "day hatch" and can be found on a lot of production kayaks these days. a small compartment that can be reached while on the water. theoreticaly.

Theoretically??????

It looks accessable for sure. Are you referring to the one that looks like a 6 incher?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:14 pm

zelph wrote:
DarenN wrote:

Theoretically??????

It looks accessable for sure. Are you referring to the one that looks like a 6 incher?

yep. the little one just aft of the cockpit, portside. it's tough to twist your back into the correct shape so that you can get your hand into the hatch. younger more flexable people seem to have less trouble accomplishing this feat of contortion.

on trips, i just use mine as a beer cooler. :mrgreen:

Daren......

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:49 pm

DarenN wrote:
zelph wrote:[quote="DarenN
yep. the little one just aft of the cockpit, portside. it's tough to twist your back into the correct shape so that you can get your hand into the hatch. younger more flexable people seem to have less trouble accomplishing this feat of contortion.

on trips, i just use mine as a beer cooler. :mrgreen:

Daren......

Modify your craft so that there's one in front of you made of silnylon pocket for some items that need to be handy, like some primer or or or :?: Have it be flexable to swing out of the way of your leg.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

hoz

Postby hoz » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:06 am

On my decked sailing canoe I installed a "shelf" of stiff Leno mesh across the front of the cockpit about 3" below the deck. The front edge uses a bungee for some stretch. I store things I may need for the day there.

My cockpit is 5' long and 12" deep, this may not work in kayak .

Return to “Water-Hiking”